Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you vote for a candidate that supported abortion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

athtrasna wrote:
    My point is that if people are against abortion - don't shout about it,just don't do it.
    I'm against rape. I've nothing against rapists, but I'd never do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

athtrasna wrote:
    My point is that if people are against abortion - don't shout about it,just don't do it.

By your logic, if you've no problem with something, then it should be ok for you to do it?

What about receiving stolen goods? It's illegal but quiet a few people have your attitude on it, "If you think it's wrong don't do it, but don't force your morality on me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

For God's sake, you know that's not what I mean. It just sickens me when people jump on the abortion bandwagon. Abortion is a deeply personal issue and not one that needs to be politicised.

It's not about the morals, it's about the CSP and plenty of others making a virtue out of being "pro-life". If you're anti abortion, just keep it to yourself, don't lecture me or anyone else about it, especially not on my doorstep.

athtrasna wrote:
    For God's sake, you know that's not what I mean. It just sickens me when people jump on the abortion bandwagon. Abortion is a deeply personal issue and not one that needs to be politicised.

It's not about the morals, it's about the CSP and plenty of others making a virtue out of being "pro-life". If you're anti abortion, just keep it to yourself, don't lecture me or anyone else about it, especially not on my doorstep.

You support criminal activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Boston wrote:

WTF?? I don't support any criminal activities????? I just wish people would stop politicising such a personal issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Saruman wrote:
    I would be more of the opinion " Could you vote for a candidate that did NOT support abortion?"
    I'd be in this camp, I could not vote for a candidate who does not support a woman's right to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Boston wrote:

Do not attempt to go down that road. We have constitutional protections for information and the right to travel that a few idiots in the HSE seemed to forget with the D case.

Abortion is legal in this country as far the protection of the mothers life is concerned. Its more conveient to push the problem to the UK.

Anyone who does not support abortion in that case should quite simply take a serious look at themselves. Same goes for any candidate who will not support abortion those cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is the point of view that it is illegal in this state as is smoking canibis as is having sex with a 14 year old, but there are countries with in the EU where you can have an abortion, smoke canibis and have sex with a 14teen year old.
    This is the type of world we live in and if you traveled to those countries and enguaged in those acts you would not be prosecuted here for them.

Contraception used to be illegal here and that changed because 'The people' became in favour of it and fought and lobbied to make it so.

Voting for a candiate or a politcal party an factoring in what thier stance on abortion is is a personal choice, but if the candiate or a party is infavour of abortion then catholics can risk falling under latae sententiae excommunication so I certainlycan understand them and those who feel strongly for non religious reasons vetting along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's a very personnal question for a thread...

If you agree with the right of an unborn child to live you won't vote a pro-chice candidate in

If you agree with the womans choice side of things you will.

I personnally believe there are more relevant issues to discuss, and any playing the victim by a female canditate deserves a slap not a number 1 choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I could vote for a candidate that supported abortion yes no problem. I support it being legalised, under certain circumstances. Of course I realise that Enda has said that no way will he allow it, and to be honest one way or the other it wont affect my choice on the ballot paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

athtrasna wrote:

I think being pro-life is a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

b.ie polar wrote:
    I think being pro-life is a virtue.

That may be the case but bringing a single issue into an election that will decide on the next government and all it is required to do, is questionable, imo. It also makes those doing so a "vested interest".

As for the question itself it would not even occur to me to ask. The issue tends to be addressed on a regular basis in public referenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Which is a shocking way to do things.
    Currently it is permissible under certain circumstances for a woman to legally have an abortion under our consititution and law and there should be legislation to back this up and health policy and proceedures so that a woman who is legally entitled to end a pregancy for health issues does not have to travel outside of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Boston wrote:

Boston, you're trolling. Don't do it again.

gandalf wrote:
    Boston, you're trolling. Don't do it again.

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out blatant flaws in an arguement that everyone should be free to do what they want and not do what they don't want. This is me trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Boston wrote:
    "Against murder, dont murder"
    "Against domestic abuse, don't beat your spouse"
    "Against drug use, don't do drugs"
    and so on so forth. Your logic is flawed deeply.

I think the logic here is also flawed.

the original poster said; against abortion, don't have one

against murder, don't murder yourself
    against domestic abuse, don't abuse yourself
    against durg use, don't use drugs yourself

again the question is, do i have a right to do what i want to myself, and is the foetus part of the woman, or another person?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

karen3212 wrote:
    ...is the foetus part of the woman, or another person?
    To pursue that question is to discuss the issue of abortion itself on this thread. Don't do that.

karen3212 wrote:

again the question is, do i have a right to do what i want to myself,

No you don't. Society dictates what people can do, regardless of who it affects.

The crux of her argument is that if you are ok with doing something then you should be able to do it. You've extended that to provision thats it's ok once it doesn't affect anyone else. By your premise it's ok for someone to kill themselves or to self harm in some other way, it's ok for someone to drive without a seat belt, or drink themselves to death.

The only rights you have are the ones society deems you to have, that's the reality. People talk about the right to choice but fail to realise we live in a country where people don't have the right to speak their minds on topics that may be considered blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The entire *ahem* "logic" of the poster the OP saw is flawed. I doubt you will find many people in favour of trotting every pregnant woman off to a clinic to have an abortion because they think it's great.

I think you'll find instead that the reality is "pro-choice" as in the right to choose, not "pro-abortion".

A not so subtle distinction that is often lost on the more zealously dogma-minded of our citizenry unfortunately.

Lemming wrote:
    The entire *ahem* "logic" of the poster the OP saw is flawed. I doubt you will find many people in favour of trotting every pregnant woman off to a clinic to have an abortion because they think it's great.

True, one wonders what the aim of it is. However that doesn't make the arguements put forward here valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Boston wrote:
    No you don't. Society dictates what people can do, regardless of who it affects.

The crux of her argument is that if you are ok with doing something then you should be able to do it. You've extended that to provision thats it's ok once it doesn't affect anyone else. By your premise it's ok for someone to kill themselves or to self harm in some other way, it's ok for someone to drive without a seat belt, or drink themselves to death.

The only rights you have are the ones society deems you to have, that's the reality. People talk about the right to choice but fail to realise we live in a country where people don't have the right to speak their minds on topics that may be considered blasphemy.

I'm sorry but have you changed the word ''right'' to OK here?

I simply asked if I have the right to harm myself if I so wish.

Some of the laws seem to say I have the right, and others say I don't have that right.
    Is suicide illegal? Is taking drugs illegal? Is damaging my brain with alcohol illegal? There is no consistency in these laws, in some cases it is legal in some not. It is deemed to be in the greater good of society as a whole that I do not take drugs(illegal ones). So should we not ask the same question with regard to abortion. Is it bad for the woman to terminate, is she harming herself. Will her right to abort harm society as a whole. Will unwanted children be more harm, will making her have a child against her will cause her more harm?

karen3212 wrote:
    I simply asked if I have the right to harm myself if I so wish.

No you don't. That seems fairly obvious.

So should we not ask the same question with regard to abortion. Is it bad for the woman to terminate, is she harming herself. Will her right to abort harm society as a whole. Will unwanted children be more harm, will making her have a child against her will cause her more harm?

You do not have a right to do what ever you want with your body and you never will, regardless of abortion. The reason for this is that actions are very rarely isolated in their affect to just one person. Like it or not society imposes a group morality on us all, that will never change.

Yeah thank gods we can still own slaves boston.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Boston wrote:
    No you don't. That seems fairly obvious.

You do not have a right to do what ever you want with your body and you never will, regardless of abortion. The reason for this is that actions are very rarely isolated in their affect to just one person. Like it or not society imposes a group morality on us all, that will never change.

This strikes me as being off-topic. I believe that the topic is whether you would vote or not for someone who supported it.

Agent J wrote:
    Yeah thank gods we can still own slaves boston.....

How is that relavent to anything. Have you a contribution to make to the thread?

Maybe you should go back and read the thread then.

Very simple.

"Like it or not society imposes a group morality on us all, that will never change."

Like slavery?
    Wasn't that moral at one point and unless i am mistaken isn't anymore....

And before you down the road of arguing that group morality still remains even though the morals themselves may change then consider that with relation to the topic at hand.

Just because a morality is imposed on us does not make it right.

Agent J wrote:

And before you down the road of arguing that group morality still remains even though the morals themselves may change then consider that with relation to the topic at hand.

Wow, it appears that you both understood my point and decided to ignore/twist it at the same time. Bravo. I think you should reread the thread and see that thead has already made your point.

Boston wrote:
    Wow, it appears that you both understood my point and decided to ignore/twist it at the same time. Bravo. I think you should reread the thread and see that thead has already made your point.

Think you can actually maybe respond to the point then without wanting to take a snipe?

I assume boards.ie has a dont feed the trolls policy. Even if it doesn't you ain't getting any more meals from me.

Either respond to the point or quit wasting electrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Without reading the other responses to this thread - my answer is yes I could vote for a candidate who supported abortion.

From a personal point of view I would only support Abortion in limited circumstances and feel it is far too common but that is only my personal opinion - it would not effect who I would vote for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It would have no impact on my decision. I'd probably be in favour of abortion if pushed on the subject but it isn't something that I'd decide who I'd vote for on it.

Advertisement