Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you vote for a candidate that supported abortion?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lemming wrote:
    The entire *ahem* "logic" of the poster the OP saw is flawed. I doubt you will find many people in favour of trotting every pregnant woman off to a clinic to have an abortion because they think it's great.

FYI My original post said " it drives me mad when people try to play politics with abortion. Best advice I ever saw on abortion was on a bumper sticker in the US -

"Against abortion? Don't have one!" "

That's not logic, or a statement of my views on societal issues. It's me saying, if you're against abortion, don't have one. Don't preach at me about it, don't canvass me about it.

That was the point, nothing deeper, as plenty of you seem to want to think. Oh and I love how some posters have decided I'm a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Voting for a candiate or a politcal party an factoring in what thier stance on abortion is is a personal choice, but if the candiate or a party is infavour of abortion then catholics can risk falling under latae sententiae excommunication so I certainlycan understand them and those who feel strongly for non religious reasons vetting along those lines.
    I do not think this is true. According to http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/05/21/excommunication/
    only three things can get you excommunicated under cannon law and supporting abortion is not one.
    only three of those acts can be committed by laypeople. One of them is to attempt to assassinate the pope, another is profaning the Host (the Communion wafer), and the last is to successfully perform or have an abortion.

[edit rest deleted as it posed a question that people are not allowed answer]

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In case I was unclear earlier: do not discuss the rights and wrongs of abortion on this thread. Next person to do so gets a one week ban.

All other things being equal, I would be more likely to support a candidate who is pro-choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Personally I am strongly opposed to abortion (except for if the mother's life is in danger or if the baby is going to be stillborn or die within days without ever gaining consciousness [such as in the Miss D case recetly]).

I would however vote for a candidate that did support it if their other views were in line with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

So... are those posters legal or not? i may or may not have climbed a pole to maybe or maybe not attempt to deal with one, on the assumption it's not a proper election poster and is just visual litter...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

athtrasna wrote:
    FYI My original post said " it drives me mad when people try to play politics with abortion. Best advice I ever saw on abortion was on a bumper sticker in the US -

"Against abortion? Don't have one!" "

That's not logic, or a statement of my views on societal issues. It's me saying, if you're against abortion, don't have one. Don't preach at me about it, don't canvass me about it.

That was the point, nothing deeper, as plenty of you seem to want to think. Oh and I love how some posters have decided I'm a woman.

errrrr ..... I wasn't commenting on anything you said. I was commenting on the poster (i.e. piece of cardboard) you were talking about.

Would you mind reading the part of my post that you actually quoted ...

Cheers. Thanks. M'kayyy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yes, absolutely.

In fact, I'd probably have more respect for them for speaking out on an issue that most politicians are too terrified to go anywhere near (and in the current climate, would you blame them? Labour are constantly vilified for being pro-choice, when the only decision that they've made is to legislate for the X case, something that should have been done back in 1992. I've heard of two canvassers having doors slammed in their faces because they're from the 'abortion party').

Advertisement