Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DirectX 10

Options
  • 18-05-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I hear the sound of plams meeting foreheads...

I did look this up honest. And it just made me confused...

If I have a direct X10 graphics card, i need not ever use vile Vista to play Das Uber games of pretttness?

If not hows does you give a Norman Greeting to fail old MS, as regards getting access to sweet sweet graphically goodness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You need Vista and a DX10 card to play DX10 games in DX10 mode, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i think i read somewhere that even if you could dx10 wouldnt work on xp? i may be wrong tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

papu wrote:
    i think i read somewhere that even if you could dx10 wouldnt work on xp? i may be wrong tho

It wont there was some guy claiming to back port DX10 to XP but that guy is known scammer so his claims are dubious at best not too mention the incredible technical hurdles that would have to be overcome

As BopNiblets pointed out DX10 requires Vista but any DX10 card will work as a DX9 card under XP [& Vista if the game is DX9 only].

Vista isn't as bad as the media make it out to be you know in actual fact it's better than XP as a desktop OS. A lot of the critical noise comes from people who people who haven't even used it & heard something second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Balaam

Vista ain't touching my pc. No compatiblity. The new build will be all free ware. (Not a press opinion, moral standpoint with microsoft)
    I'll admit i've seen Visat working and its shiney, but don't like the ethics and mind set of microsoft release stratgy.

What about this DirectX 9.L?

Vista + Laptops = *slit*

i work at compustore and we get dozens of complaints it takes 15 minutes to boot, but thats not vistas fault thats the fault of toshiba trying to sell a 512 pc4200 laptop qhich is dieing under the weight of vista home premium ,

Il have vista for my new build a sp is due to be released in november or so they say , in new rigs with 500mhzddr2 and upways and dualcore it uses your machine moar efficiently than xp, precache is nice and Dx10 is even Nicer :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

8T8 wrote:
    Vista isn't as bad as the media make it out to be you know in actual fact it's better than XP as a desktop OS. A lot of the critical noise comes from people who people who haven't even used it & heard something second hand.

(Off topic) True, I find Vista to be very efficient and if you have the specs it will run very smoothly and look like a cheerleader. I have yet to come across an incompatibility.

(On topic)- Just get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Balaam wrote:
    Vista ain't touching my pc. No compatiblity. The new build will be all free ware. (Not a press opinion, moral standpoint with microsoft)
    I'll admit i've seen Visat working and its shiney, but don't like the ethics and mind set of microsoft release stratgy.

:rolleyes: Just get a cracked copy........ that will show those evil MS guys and make sure your morals are in tact.....;)

Balaam wrote:

What about this DirectX 9.L?

Compatibility is pretty good in fact while it's a brand new OS you can expect 100& compatibility rate it works well with most stuff & Microsoft's Vista strategy is no different than XP in fact it's pretty much identical and just a rehash.

Direct-X 9.L has been renamed Direct-X 9.Ex and is the version of DX9 that ships in Vista as it was modified to support the GPU accelerated desktop.

Also rabbitinlights discussing or advocating piracy/warez is a sure fire way to get yourself in trouble on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

8T8 wrote:
    Also rabbitinlights discussing or advocating piracy/warez is a sure fire way to get yourself in trouble on boards.ie.

OK, Rob a legit copy from your local shop.......;)

Ah my sarcasm detector failed me there rabbitinlights whoops :o

• Advertisement

im sure if you ask bill gates nice enuf he'll send you out a legit version :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I really don’t know about Vista. I have only used it on a friend’s laptop briefly. It seemed to cope ok but I have not seen Games on it yet. I think I'll stick with XP for the foreseeable future as it does not seem to be worth the effort now.

Off topic but I found this interesting article on Vista and its drawbacks due to protected audio and HD content and I think it’s worth a look.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Kind of frustrating to think this kind of thing will just get worse with subsequent service packs and future OS's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Article? Pffff

Been using Vista since launch and find it a dream to use. Some slight issues with Source engined games but nothing too serious.

Regarding the comment about Toshiba et all trying to sell Vista laptops with 512mb of RAM.. I would put that more down to the likes of Compustore selling complete ****e.

well , its the cheapest laptop they have in stock , and we just got our last batch of xp machines from now on its all vista :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

8T8 wrote:
    It wont there was some guy claiming to back port DX10 to XP but that guy is known scammer so his claims are dubious at best not too mention the incredible technical hurdles that would have to be overcome

As BopNiblets pointed out DX10 requires Vista but any DX10 card will work as a DX9 card under XP [& Vista if the game is DX9 only].

QFT !!

I use vista daily, and although i get updates weeks or months in most cases before you guys, i really like it as a os. Yes you need more ram but common get with the times. 4gb of ram is 112£ in the uk atm.

As for dx10. A port will come out for xp. Well kind of it will be called dx9L. I havent got much information about it yes. And knowing windows the name will probably changed to dx9.5 or something daft

as for dx10 coming to xp , well just have to see , i dont think it is possible without running most of vista on a virtual machine inside xp

shadermodelcomparison22ly9.jpg

just a quick comparison between all the dx's

Advertisement