Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hydor L20

Options
  • 18-05-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

I stupidly bought a hydor L20 to replace the crackling one i have for a new low flow build. I thought the relay system would be the same as my asetek one and surprise surprise it isn't. I'm gathering i need this
    but considering i just paid €27 to get the pump delivered i really don't want to have to pay it for the relay system. Would anybody have one of these they're not using that i could buy off them? or would anybody know how i can get out of this?

EDIT: actually could i replace the impeller from the new one into my old one and would that cure the crackling? I've heard the impeller is the source of most of the noise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Are these pumps not 230volts? If so why not connect directly to a mains outlet? The only issue is you would need to remember to turn on the pump with your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

they are i just really didnt want to have to do that cause i'm building it for my dad and he wouldn't want the hassle or remember to do it. Do you think i could replace the impeller on my old one and save myself the hassle of buying that stupid relay system?

requiem1 wrote:
    they are i just really didnt want to have to do that cause i'm building it for my dad and he wouldn't want the hassle or remember to do it. Do you think i could replace the impeller on my old one and save myself the hassle of buying that stupid relay system?

Replacing the impeller is worth a try I guess...just be careful or you could end up with TWO dead pumps instead of one :eek:

hopeful wrote:
    Replacing the impeller is worth a try I guess...just be careful or you could end up with TWO dead pumps instead of one :eek:

The thing is is that the pump is actually working its just the crackling is driving me up the wall cause it sounds like my raptor on a bad day and also there's the fact that my dad paid out for a whopper system for me given that i'm heading into my last year of college and he knows how much i love building computers:p
    hopeful do you think anti or one of the lads might have one of these relays carelessly lying around in amongst their piles of components? I don't actually think its complicated replacing the impeller i'm just a lazy man and don't want to waist my valuable time:D

It's possible one of the lads may have one...but doubtful.

What about wiring the pump and PC into one plug so at least the pump will always be on if the PC is on...I reckon it may be the easiest way...and cheapest.!

There are ways to wire up a relay yourself if you are happy using a soldering iron...not one for the fainthearted perhaps though:D LINKY

• Advertisement

hopeful wrote:
    It's possible one of the lads may have one...but doubtful.

What about wiring the pump and PC into one plug so at least the pump will always be on if the PC is on...I reckon it may be the easiest way...and cheapest.!

you my friend are a freaking genius but i wouldn't have a breeze how to do that, is there anything online guide-wise showing how to do this or is it easier than i think?
    Would there not be a problem considering the pump has one of those shaving socket connections and the kettle lead doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

try a double adapter. would be exact same as wiring the plugs together only not as stupid and dangerous. MMMAYBE. Those european two pin plugs can go into our sockets. Stick a regular plug in to it upside down and the opens the little covers for the otherplug. You would still have to remember to turn off the pc at the wall. But with both in the same socket the PC would never be on without the pump.

what I guess you do is get one euro to UK plug adapter and one two gang extension lead. Plug both the pump and PC into the extention and ensure your father keeps them both plugged in.

Euro to UK adapter

4 gang extension (you only need a two gang really)

try a double adapter. would be exact same as wiring the plugs together only not as stupid and dangerous. MMMAYBE. Those european two pin plugs can go into our sockets. Stick a regular plug in to it upside down and the opens the little covers for the otherplug. You would still have to remember to turn off the pc at the wall. But with both in the same socket the PC would never be on without the pump.

great minds think alike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

lol yeah.
    you don't really need the euro to uk adapter though. Upside down pluggy thing really works, just as safe you know what i'm talkin about? Double adapter would do the same job. You take the double adapter or ,double extension lead, in one hand and regular irish plug in the other. You insert the earth which is the long pin into the correct hole but upside down leaving the two lower hole free for your euro plug. insert the euro plug take out the irish plug and insert it into the free socket on the adapter or double extension lead. Viola. you save your self the 1.50 for the euro to uk adapter.

edit: dear god they're 6.99

• Advertisement

Most places have them cheaper than 6.99 I think....just gave the Peats link as it was handy.

thanks for the help guys much appreciated. well at least i have my options laid out in front of me but i'm nearly considering giving into buying the relay system if i can't fix this impeller problem....why do i bother water cooling stuff it just makes life complicated....a nice tuniq or artic freezer would make me happy:rolleyes:

requiem1 wrote:
    why do i bother water cooling stuff it just makes life complicated....a nice tuniq or artic freezer would make me happy:rolleyes:

The same reason we all do it....it just feels so wrong to be chucking liquids in your rig :D

hopeful wrote:
    chucking liquids in your rig :D

wouldn't you just love to get a big bucket of water and throw it into your case and see what happens:D

requiem1 wrote:
    wouldn't you just love to get a big bucket of water and throw it into your case and see what happens:D

Errm..no...don't think I'd want to do that. I'm pretty sure my Folding @Home daily output would suddenly drop :D

Advertisement