Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars

• 18-05-2007 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

So any body played it? What you think? I used to like the old PC games but there haven't really been any RTS games on consoles. So am a bit sceptical aboot buying it.

Cheers for the input.

Is it worth buying? 27 votes

It sure is it rocked my world!
    0% 0 votes
    It was OK.
    40% 11 votes
    It was CRAP-ola!
    59% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd get it for the PC, the controls are a mess on the 360. I played Tiberium Dawn and the Red Alert series on the PS1 and the controls were far better.

The tab bar menue is just a mess.

Other than that the maps feel very small compared to other C&C games, EA are really making it idiot proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've played them all on the PC over the last 10 years. I've given up on PC games though and I was looking forward to this. It's good. The controls are hard to get used to but after 15 mins - half an hour it's no probs. Difficulty was easy for the first few missions but I'm stuck on one that I've replayed about 5 times. It's doing my head in (in a good way) :p

As the poster said above the tab bar is a mess. I can't see it properly on my CRT. Probably looks better on HD. But it just contains shortcuts and I haven't needed any of the options on it. Most of the options can be accessed by key combinations on the controller.

I haven't played RTS on a console before and I was dubios about not having a keyboard / mouse but it's working out grand for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've got it for the 360 despite having a PC easily capable of it, and I love it on the 360. There's nothing wrong with the controls if you accept that you won't have the same degree of precision as you would with a mouse and keyboard. I think they did a remarkable job with the controller. And there's nothing wrong with the tab bar, works brilliantly. Must be your old CRTs :D

Its the menue selection that the mess. If you have ever played C&C 1 on the PS1 you would see what I mean, that has a far better tab bar system and is far quicker to use.

Things that annoy me is that you cannot drag selection boxes over units like in the old games on the PS1, which was very useful as you did not need to create groups like in this game and only took a second to do with no need to go to the menues.

Also in the older games when you double select a unit you get all the smae type of that unit on screen selected automatically. This feature no longer exists and is a major pain.

The camera and zoom controls are fine, no complaints at all.

If EA kept the same control system used on the PS1 C&C games it would have been far better.

Even on the PC the tab bar system in this game is just not right. Just go back and look at Tiberium Sun, thats what this should have expanded on instead EA went backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Interesting.. 50-50 so far but everyone seems to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Branoic wrote:
    I've got it for the 360 despite having a PC easily capable of it, and I love it on the 360. There's nothing wrong with the controls if you accept that you won't have the same degree of precision as you would with a mouse and keyboard. I think they did a remarkable job with the controller. And there's nothing wrong with the tab bar, works brilliantly. Must be your old CRTs :D

Can you get a mouse for the 360 ?

It wouldn't make a difference with a mouse or not, the controller does the job perfectly Actually a mouse alone would not be enough to control the camera, unit selection and the damn menue system.

If you wanted to use a mouse on the 360 (if that were possible) you would need some sort of keyboard or mini gamer keyboard with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have been playing it today, great game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Things that annoy me is that you cannot drag selection boxes over units like in the old games on the PS1, which was very useful as you did not need to create groups like in this game and only took a second to do with no need to go to the menues.

Also in the older games when you double select a unit you get all the smae type of that unit on screen selected automatically. This feature no longer exists and is a major pain.

Have a look at http://forums.xbox.com/11951285/ShowPost.aspx

For point 1 you can hold A and move your pointer over a group of units. Its a bit fiddly though.

For point 2 you can select 1 unit then hold the right bumper and A to highlight all units that are the same as it on the screen. Or hodl the right bumper and double click A to highlight all the units that are the same as it on the map.

This stuff is in the instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have been playing this for a good bit of today and it's really easy to get the hang of. Really like this game and the 2v2 is great.

• Advertisement

Have a look at http://forums.xbox.com/11951285/ShowPost.aspx

For point 1 you can hold A and move your pointer over a group of units. Its a bit fiddly though.

For point 2 you can select 1 unit then hold the right bumper and A to highlight all units that are the same as it on the screen. Or hodl the right bumper and double click A to highlight all the units that are the same as it on the map.

This stuff is in the instructions.

I can't believe I missed that.:o

Thank god for that anyway, thats going to make life a crap load easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

does anyone know is there a way to select the crane instead of the mcv without having to go back to your base and clicking on the crane. Its a pain in the arse building using both when you have to keep clicking on the second construction building just to get it to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

I just got it today its a great looking and playing game plus the learning curve for the controls is very easy. Two thumbs up.

Kristok as far as I know when you build a crane you should be able to double build from the shortcut when you press the trigger button. I was building two different turrets today at the same time because i had a crane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

you can build two defences at a time but not buildings unless you select the other building afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I haven't played it on 360, we have it on PC. If you like RTS games (or C&C specifically) you'll probably like it. It's far from perfect, but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a C&C game.

I played BFME II on 360 which was also an EA RTS, so I'd imagine the controls are fairly similar. Bit more of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its great and i actually got the hang of the controlls pretty quick.Recommended

Advertisement