Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting beef bones

• 18-05-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to make as much of my food as I can to cut out weird ingredients in the pre-packaged stuff. So I've been going to the butcher's to get bones to make stock with, and then make soup for myself.

But the bones are huge. What kind of knife, instrument should I be using to cut them? They are about 2.5/3 inches around and quite thick.

Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm not much of a cook (yet) :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A bone saw is what you should be using, why don't you ask the butcher to cut them up with his band saw when you get them?
    It will take him about 30 seconds to render them into pot size pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Yeah the butcher isn't that accomodating seeing as he gives them away :-) Wouldn't mind, I'd pay to have them cut up, they're just not willing. Going to try another butcher.

Wonder where you buy a bone saw without sounding like a serial killer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

One of these would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The teeth on those bow saws are a little bit long for hard stuff like bones.
    Garth, I would go and get them from a butcher who will cut em up for ya.
    They don't sound very accomodating, My Butcher will cut lamb shanks up into 3/4" thick pieces for me, no bother at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Get yourself a hacksaw from a DIY store. Usually come in two sizes, the small one should do. Wash the blade in hot soapy water before using for the first time - it will probably be coated in machine oil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement