Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop power connector broke

• 19-05-2007 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Went over to the girlfriends house tonight to find that her laptop power connector was broke, dunno how it happened but it seems like someone ( her little brothers) either tripped over the power lead and snapped the power pin out of the connector (O) is now ( ). I didnt realise this until i looked at the power lead and there was the pin sticking out of the connector. Now if I hold the power lead in the connector with the pin in the lead it will begin to charge so things are looking good so far.

Its a HP Compaq nxXXXX and out of warantee so I was thinking I would have a lash off repairing it before she hands it over to someone else, and save a few bob. Before I opened the lappy up I said I would consult your good selves about the chances of getting this fixed as a DIY job, would it be tough and where could I source another power connector?

Thanks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Happened me a few weeks ago. Not good news Im afraid.

Had to send it back to the people who made the laptop, not where it was bought. Cost €200 to repair, but they said that was lucky because usually theres a connection between the pin and the mother board, and 99% of the time they have to replace the motherboard aswell which altogether would have set me back the best part of €600. Not a DIY job Im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Its going to be a pain in the ass job to change that pin....have seen plenty of them before and trying to repair them is a real nightmare....getting to the pin itself requires you to disassemble the laptop to allow workable access to the connector for the power input. Generally maplin stock generic power connectors that you could desolder from the motherboard and solder in the new power connector.
    Its a very very very time consuming and finicky job...not simple...and generally as stated above is quite costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Hmmmm... thats what I didn't want to hear. Sounds like it will be a tricky one alright. Hopefully its not as bad as what happened to Archimedes laptop. I'll have a google around for a guide or something like that and read up on it a bit. Thanks for the replies lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Just an update on this:

HP provide a very nice webpage here, with tutorials of laptop assembly and disassembly, I now have the lappy disassembled and I am in search for a new power connector, now to put my soldering skills to the test :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

connector is proprietary and I doubt Hp will sell you one.

whip out the motherboard socket, solder in 3-4 wires as per contacts on connector

goto maplin or peats and buy a DC socket and plug that mate

pass the wires out throught the chassis hole, bit of heatshrink over the wires and attach ends to socket

chop off orig hp plug and solder new plug

Thats what we do in work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement