Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Yaris and blokes?

Options
  • 19-05-2007 9:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy, im looking to buy a 1l toyota yaris as my first car. But im 30! Ive been driving motorbikes all my life.

some of me mates are slaggin me over this decision (mind u im looking at the new model and not the older one). Is there a stigma with blokes and yaris?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Should you care?
    Do you need to prove anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

Yes - old ladies drive these - and the car actually looks like a big tall geek!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have a look at the Honda Jazz....build quality just as good, and appears to be more flexible inside with space.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

The Yaris is a great car. I've had it since i was 17 (20 now). Drive 30 miles every day. Sister owned it before me and drove to Galway from Leitrim twice a week for collage. It never gave any trouble. Its VERY economical. (Mine is a 1 litre engine too). The only place the 1 l engine might let ya down is overtaking.

I get a good bit of slaggin about drivin one especially since mine is yellow!
    But why would ya care what other people think? Its a great car if thats what your lookin for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

faceman wrote:
    Howdy, im looking to buy a 1l toyota yaris as my first car. But im 30! Ive been driving motorbikes all my life.

some of me mates are slaggin me over this decision (mind u im looking at the new model and not the older one). Is there a stigma with blokes and yaris?

As a biker, I too feel your pain.

Nothing to fear though, I drive one too on occasion - tis the other half's.

They are a great car.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

I moved to a Toyota garage last year and the first car they gave me was an '06 Yaris. I was devastated, I was hoping for an Avensis. I have to say, the car is grand, I was getting 53mpg out of it, it also handled well on the motorway, didn't get blown around like a plastic bag. Another plus to the car is that the depreciation is really low, I can still get €6000 for a '00 one, new ones are €15,750 all in.

The vibe from this thread so far seems to be (despite the fact that it looks like a Granny's car), "it's safe, economical, dependable, low depreciation, etc" - since when did everyone here turn gay?
    I want a car that's fast, handles well, is responsive, overtakes fast, high spec, leather, loud stereo, lots of grip, lots of BHP, and looks like it's not a girl's car.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but do people here just hate cars or something, or should we move this topic to the "sensible" forum? Because nobody who appreciates a good car would recommend a Yaris to anyone under 60!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

The op was asking for opinions on the yaris, he wasn't saying "I've got €20k, what should I buy". Try reading it again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dr. Seuss - are you uncomfortable with yourself? I drive a big 2.5L 'mans' car. I still have no problem getting in and driving my wife's 1.1L 206 - a 'girls' car.
    I usually end up passing most traffic when Im driving it anyhow so maybe everyone else is 'gay' because they can't keep up with me.
    Don't get me wrong, the 2.5L is better specced, much much nicer to drive and faster but the 206 which is in the same class as the Yaris is still a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

faceman wrote:
    But im 30!

It's a perfect car for a 300 year old....

Seriously, if you care there are manlier cars out there.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Dr. Seuss - are you uncomfortable with yourself?
    No - why do you ask? A Yaris is an old lady's car - nobody denies this - even the OP's friends are slagging him. I wouldn't drive one because I have self respect - nothing to do with being uncomfortable.
    I drive a big 2.5L 'mans' car.
    Good for you.
    I still have no problem getting in and driving my wife's 1.1L 206 - a 'girls' car.
    Well, I'd be embarrassed.
    I usually end up passing most traffic when Im driving it anyhow so maybe everyone else is 'gay' because they can't keep up with me.
    It's a bit presumptuous to assume everyone is gay - they could also be old, nerds, or just prudes.
    Don't get me wrong, the 2.5L is better specced, much much nicer to drive and faster but the 206 which is in the same class as the Yaris is still a good car.
    Yes, it's a "good" car if you're looking at it solely from an old lady's POV: economical, dependable, etc, etc. That's my point - most blokes don't look at it from that POV - I like to ENJOY driving - it's suppossed to be FUN; not just something you have to do to get around. When I drive, I like to be able to feel something when I put the foot down - I want good grip if I decide a pick up speed on windy rural roads - I want to feel like my vehicle will respond to what I want it to do, and that it owns the tarmac it's driving on - I DON'T want to feel like I'm in a shopping cart and that I better not overtake in case I don't make it, and that my tyres are so thin I might skid when braking at speed, or that my car might topple over if I corner too fast, and that my steering wheel shakes in cross winds!
    And if a Yaris so great, why don't you drive one? Because you're not an old lady? Exactly...

ta2kev wrote:
    The op was asking for opinions on the yaris, he wasn't saying "I've got €20k, what should I buy". Try reading it again.
    He asked if there was a stigma attached to blokes and Yaris' - I told him they're old lady's cars, and I gave him good reasons - did you miss that? Try reading it again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

faceman wrote:
    Is there a stigma with blokes and yaris?

I would say there is more of a stigma attached to blokes that are concerned about how they will look in a certain car.

padi89 wrote:
    I would say there is more of a stigma attached to blokes that are concerned about how they will look in a certain car.
    That's a pretty dumb statement. To use an analogy - (presuming you're a bloke) would you wear a dress & makeup when walking down the street in public? If not; why? Is it because you're not comfortable with your sexuality and you feel the need to look like a tough male all the time? My guess would be "No - I'm just not a girl, so I don't wear girl's clothes". Exactly - I'm not a girl - so I don't drive a girl's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I own a 07 Yaris and i really dont give a **** what people thing of me driving it
    the tax on it is 150 for the year , the insurance is 300 fully comp and i get over 50 mpg , then again i am 46 and my priorities for a car are different from some one in their 20's
    then again i have a 19 year old son and he will not drive it because he says its a n old man's car

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

fitzdragon wrote:
    then again i have a 19 year old son and he will not drive it because he says its a n old man's car

He must really love the bus :)

fitzdragon wrote:
    I own a 07 Yaris and i really dont give a **** what people thing of me driving it
    the tax on it is 150 for the year , the insurance is 300 fully comp and i get over 50 mpg , then again i am 46 and my priorities for a car are different from some one in their 20's
    That's just backing up my point. Old people look for the "sensible" things in a car like good MPG, cheap insurance/tax, etc, whereas young people want to have fun when they drive, so they want a high spec and lots of poke, and good handling - like you said - it's about priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I drive my grannies old shape one every so often for the laugh.im 6"0 and my mate is 6"4. find it grand to drive for what it is, a 1.0l runabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

What would you recommend he should buy Dr. Seuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Stark wrote:
    He must really love the bus :)

na he has his own car , a 07 AYGO , lovely LITTLE car with alloys and all the other go faster bits , funny enough the aygo has the same engine in it but it goes like a rocket compared to the yaris , ah to be young and foolish again :cool:

naa f*** that i coulde"nt go through all that crap again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

To the OP. Don't mind Dr. Seuss, he's talking shíte. I find the Yaris great fun to drive, and altough the 1 litre is somewhat underpowered it's very nippy and great for city driving. We had an 06 Yaris and sold it to get 2 older cars, but I was sad to see it go. I really enjoyed driving it.

Dr. Seuss, do you have issues with the size of your manhood? Are you going bald? Can't get any luck with the ladies? You're so immature it's phenomenal! That or you're a troll. Even if I had to drive a pink Yaris I would. Why? Because I don't give two f*cks what some fool like you thinks. I'm a mature bloke. I enjoy driving and obviously I'd rather drive a higher spec car than a 1l Yaris. The OP is getting his first car and is thinking of a Yaris. Does't mean he's gay or a lady or an aul fella or granny. Jaysus you're good at winding people up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

slightly off topic i currently drive an 05 honda civic thinking off trading it for a nearly new golf or new civic? whats peoples opinions on the civic is it a hairdressers porsche and is it acceptable for a man to drive? i quite like the look of it and have only positive things to say about my other honda, i reckon id pick one up cheaper than a golf too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I drove a yaris, never had a problem with it. goes from A to B and my friend drives a yaris too so cant see what the problem is......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

faceman, have you driven a Yaris? If so, did you enjoy driving it?

If the answer is "yes" the f**k it, what's the problem!

I drive a little '97 106, only got it a couple of months ago, didn't drive before and learning in the 106. Grand little car for a first timer.

It's done 300-odd miles since I bought it and it's only used 2 tanks of petrol, my mother used it on the motorway and it kept up grand, did 120 no bother to it.

I was learning to drive in an instructors Yaris, handled nicely, takes you from A to B to C so where's the big problem?

Tell your mates who slag you to f**k off, the only reason you should listen to them is if you don't enjoy driving it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who cares if there is a so called "stigma" attached to it. Who gives a toss what someone else thinks, that's their problem to get over. If you like it, it suits your needs and can afford then go for it.

Personally I don't give a monkey's what someone else thinks of me because of the type of car I drive. Get over it I say.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    I like to ENJOY driving - it's suppossed to be FUN; not just something you have to do to get around.

Exactly why is driving supposed to be fun? Ultimately it is just something you have to do to get around, the same as any form of transport. Racing a car is fun, driving down to the shops doesn't need to be. Sure, having a "man's" car means you're more likely to have better specs, performance, handling, etc., but a lot of people of all ages really are just looking for something to get from A to B, and it appears that the OP is one of these. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

zaph wrote:
    but a lot of people of all ages really are just looking for something to get from A to B, and it appears that the OP is one of these. Nothing wrong with that.

Not only that, but the OP knows bikes, and no offence to anyone and their 2.5litre cars, most bikes will offer a better performance experience if the rider wants to use that.

I find that driving a car, a bike is no comparrisson. Therefore, since I will be at best stuck at the next set of lights, and clutch brake honk stuck in traffic, I see no benifit to my personal situation to warrant a flash car. It is something to do the shopping in, something to get you to a restaurant while wearing nice cloths etc.

If I want performance that can actually be used on the road, I drive the bike. This equates pretty much to 98% of the time.

L.

bazz26 wrote:
    Who gives a toss what someone else thinks, that's their problem to get over.

haha - that's a pretty stupid thing to say, since its not my problem to begin with, so how do I need to get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    haha - that's a pretty stupid thing to say, since its not my problem to begin with, so how do I need to get over it?

LOL. Not as dump as your comments so far.

Anyway where in my statement did I refer to you directly? You just interpreted it that I was talking about you. My original statement still stands, who cares what other people think about what car you drive.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    LOL. Not as dump as your comments so far.
    Ironic..
    Anyway where in my statement did I refer to you directly? You just interpreted it that I was talking about you. My original statement still stands, who cares what other people think about what car you drive.

Eh, the OP does - because he asked us what we thought! Isn't that the whole point of this topic? He asked us what we thought of a Yaris as a male's car, and we give him our opinions? Or did you miss that part?

Advertisement