Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year history exam today

Options
  • 19-05-2007 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Does anyone have any clue what may be coming up? :confused: At all? Please reply as have yet to start studying, and am dying of a hangover :(
    Any help will be greatly appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

well firstly whats the exam ? Is it general history or is there a topic to the series of lectures? do you know what the course is? Do you expect to pass after going out drinking?

This might be more use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

dont bother going unless you are some sort of genius id imagine you will fail considering you have been on tear and havent studued... i took same approach in first year and it backfired on me i failed first history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its Union and Disunion. There has been no tips. Even essay titles can come up as exam q's. " Was the Union over by 1870?" has come up twice before. Thats the only thing that probably will come up but i cant be certain. If youve done the essays you should pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

It's Ireland: union and disunion, already have done 2 essays worth 50% of the marks and did well enough with them, just wondering is there any topics I can ignore or should focus on. I'm vaguely optimistic as am quite skilled at cramming for exams and usually pass, however this module is so vast I need help narrowing it down.

Shards wrote:
    just wondering is there any topics I can ignore or should focus on.

No, not really. If you know 2 topics from each section well you should get something relating to what youve done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

personally I'd focus on

1) Catholic Emancipation
    2) Anglo Irish Treaty

and pray to the gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

Thanks a million, I'll take some asprin and give it a go!

Grimes wrote:
    personally I'd focus on

1) Catholic Emancipation
    2) Anglo Irish Treaty

and pray to the gods

Wasnt the Anglo Irish Treaty in 1921. If it was dont do it because the course runs from 1800-1920. Ending in partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Catholic Emancipation. Its almost half the first section.

Second section: go for either the parnell and home rule era, or go for the 1914-1920 "rise of Sinn Féin" era. Don't quote me though!

So what did ye think of it? Some strange questions in there. I certainly didnt expect the Young Irelanders to make an appearance, they seemed to be a minor part of the course. Otherwise I suppose most people expected what to come up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I already said it on the exam thread, but I was very happy with it. Lovely 1916 question. I also did the emancipation one. A wee bit tricky with the repeal element, but grand all the same.

Very happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Went ok for me, not exactly the best exam I've ever done but between it and the essays I should be ok. I'm dropping history next year so I'm hoping that's the end of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I answered that 1916 question about a billion times for the leaving...:D

Advertisement