Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - alarm system and ping test

Options
  • 19-05-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I'm reaching the end of my tether with my BT broadband. The latest is that all burglar alarm systems connected to the telephone line i.e. a dialler for calling the monitoring centre or other number in the event of the alarm being activated, should have a DSL filter as this can interfere with the broadband connection. Do all broadband users with a burglar alarm out there have a DSL filter? I rang the alarm installer and they had never heard of it.

Also, when I carry out a ping test to test the connection stability( Start>Run>cmd and then type in ping (space) bbc.com (space) -t, there is a 6% loss over about five minutes. Could anyone else possibly carry out this test to see what loss rates they have?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i had the same problem a while back i have my alarm hooked up to my fax line but when that went down on me and hooked it up to the main line in the socket it would not dial so what i did was was cut into the phone line that is going into the back of my phone and joined the alarm wire on to that and taped it up and worked fine for me may not be a good solution but it did the job for me there was a filter on that line aswell hope this helps the ping is running so when its finshed i will let you know what happens

Advertisement