Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DC 10

Options
  • 19-05-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

I've been scanning around the net about this aircraft and I've come across some negative comments about it on other forums.

Is there a reason for this? Has it a bad safety record?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think it had some issues at the start which were eventually resolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-10

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

people bag on the dc-10 cos it doesn't look as cool as the tristar

they're right, the tristar is better looking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The DC-10 got a bad reputation after the "lift and seperate" crash in O'Hare field way back when.

One of the under wing engines basically "fell off" on rotation and 123 people were killed.

As far as I know investigations uncovered an major fault in the engine bolting system.

The Dc-10 never really recovered from that.

Must say I always thought it was a great looking machine.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

IIRC that crash was caused entirely by the airline failing to follow the manufacturer's documented maintenance procedures, weakening the engine mounts and causing the engine to fall off. The -10 was a great plane that was killed in its prime by the press hysteria that followed the O'Hare crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

American Airlines first conculted and got approval from Mc-Donnel Douglas to use a faster engine maintanence system which involved mounting the engine on a forklift while it was unbolted from the wing with the pylon included.

Original procedure demanded the pylon not be taken off...

It seemed that the plane was just a vitim of bad luck on many occasions. However it was described, on it's retirement from Northwest Airlines, as "an old friend, fun to fly and comfortable".

It is now in service with ATA, a budget American airline.

(thank you wikpedia!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I always liked the DC10. Anyone who says they didn't look good should see it in the LH colours , always thought they looked brilliant

I remember the THY crash ( showing my age now ! ), I have been to the place just north of Paris where it came down there is still a memorial there. That was down to a cargo door not closing correctly I believe

Flew on a World Airways DC10 wayyyyyy back in the early 80's felt just like any other wide-body to be honest.

Still ones flying , just trying to remember where I last saw one ...... do the USAF still use KC10's ? I remember them at Mildenhall , saw 22 of them sitting there the day that the US bombed Tripoli , you were usually lucky to see one !

Wow this is like dedging old memories back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Davidth88 wrote:

Still ones flying , just trying to remember where I last saw one ...... do the USAF still use KC10's ? I remember them at Mildenhall , saw 22 of them sitting there the day that the US bombed Tripoli , you were usually lucky to see one !

Wow this is like dedging old memories back

Did they have to do something similar to the black buck raids for that mission?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I inadvertently drove fairly close to Mildenhall once , not knowing it was nearby when I drove from Cambridge to Ely.......and an SR71 just took off .

Nearly crashed the bleedin car .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Davidth88 wrote:

The KC-10s are still in use in the USAF and are in very high demand, most of the KC-10 fleet is in the Middle East ATM. US pilots prefare to refuel from those instead of the older KC-135s as the KC-10 even though its bigger than the 135, produces far less wake when flying behind it. But there is far more 135s around than 10s.

The USAF is looking into replacing both types with either the KC-330 or the KC-767. Even though the KC-330 is a better design and performs better as a tanker than the KC-767, the USAF are likely to pick the KC-767 as to suport its home industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Did they have to do something similar to the black buck raids for that mission

Never heard of these , now I have googled them ... yes similar. Bascially all the F111's from Lakenheath and Upper Heyford flew over and tried to knock out Gadaffi ( sp ? ) .

Sponge Bob.

The SR71 taking off from Mildenhall is something that will live in my memory forever. 40 mins before , all the KC135Q's would depart , then the hanger would open , out comes the SR71 straight to the end of the runway and whooooooooooo , it used to light up the whole sky !

Captain Chaos

Is the RAF still using the ex BA Tristars ?

WHoa ..... this is WAY off thread , sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement