Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beagles!!

• 19-05-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hello!
    I am interested in getting a beagle and I would like to know if anyone can tell me
    a) do they make good pets?? Are they a good family dog?
    b) where can I get a beagle puppy in Ireland?
    Thanks guys,
    Casa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They are a great pet and family dog, normally fine with kids but they have a lot of energy and need lots of exercise. If left alone, they may bark alot and it is a really annoying bark. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Plus they are scent hounds, so once they find an interesting smell, they have a mind of their own! Very important that you work on their recall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niceday7

Hi Casa

I am an owner of 1 and half year old foot beagle called Max. I can tell you that everyone warn me that beagles are hyperactive so I was afraid , but after first year I can see on Max that hes calming down a little bit. I am keeping him as a pet dog not for hunting and he is great! He needs his walk and play as every other dog but its nothing horrible as it may seems. You have to train your recall thats true. I dont know any owner of beagle here in Cork to be honest. I met just one female beagle thats it. But I heard that beagles shouldnt be off d lead as their scent is massive. I have to admit that even my recall is not 100% but he IS coming back even on a field with another dogs. if you have any other question write IM :) have a nice day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

niceday7 wrote: »
    Hi Casa

I am an owner of 1 and half year old foot beagle called Max. I can tell you that everyone warn me that beagles are hyperactive so I was afraid , but after first year I can see on Max that hes calming down a little bit. I am keeping him as a pet dog not for hunting and he is great! He needs his walk and play as every other dog but its nothing horrible as it may seems. You have to train your recall thats true. I dont know any owner of beagle here in Cork to be honest. I met just one female beagle thats it. But I heard that beagles shouldnt be off d lead as their scent is massive. I have to admit that even my recall is not 100% but he IS coming back even on a field with another dogs. if you have any other question write IM :) have a nice day

I'm sure that the OP has found the answers they were looking for 5 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Niceday7 -- generally it's considered bad form to drag up really old threads, just because most of them have become irrelevant and/or the OP is long gone.
    Magenta you know how to use the report post button.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement