Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're coming to Waterford!

• 19-05-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello!!
    We are two lovely girls who are moving from Dublin to Waterford city. We need to live near-ish to the Waterford Regional Hospital. We would like to know if anyone could tell us a bit about safe/ not safe/ nice/ not nice places to rent in Waterford city.
    Thanks guys!
    Casa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well the hospital is out on the dunmore road, and pretty much anywhere out around there is a decent enough area. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Anywhere of the estates along the Dunmore Rd. should be fine.... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought Lovely Girls were all from the Wesht, no?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, the whole area out by the hospital (where I live) is safe, middle-class suburbia. The usual moaners complain that it's too expensive, the traffic's too bad, the people think they're posh, etc., but I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live!

What's more, if you've your own wheels, you're no more than 20 minutes from Dunmore East and half that from Woodstown (a beach on the estuary hugely popular with locals for the Sunday walk).

There's a whole load of decent shops in the area: the usual ones like Tesco, Next, Homebase, Lidl. The Ardkeen Foodstore is great for the more upmarket and organic stuff, and I've even heard that there is going to be a farmers' market in Ardkeen now!

All the banks have branches out this way, and rents are not excessive, certainly not by the standards you'd be used to in Dublin. Taxis to the city centre cost around €7-10.

I think you've landed on your feet!

Yeah there is some sort of market that happens in or around ardkeen stores ( I think its in the carpark). I have to say though, the traffic is bad, although its nothing compared to dublin standards. And a big enough bunch of people out this way do think they're posh.

• Advertisement

I have to say though, the traffic is bad, although its nothing compared to dublin standards. And a big enough bunch of people out this way do think they're posh.

Yeah... true enough points... but I suppose myyy point was that I'd rather have to deal with those "problems" than the problems caused by tracksuited individuals sitting on the wall outside my house and lashing back cans of Dutch Gold.

At least when some platinum blonde looks down on you from her cream-leather-interior BMW X5, because you're only driving an 06-W Avensis, only your pride is hurt... and there's always her boob-job to check out :D

By the way ladies... am I right in presuming you'll actually be working in the hospital?

Yeah I'd tend to agree with you . :)

fricatus wrote:
    .. because you're only driving an 06-W Avensis

... So, you're in Sales.... ? :) (- of the 'travelling' variety)

Minfadlek wrote:
    ... So, you're in Sales.... ? :) (- of the 'travelling' variety)

Hahaha, no, I wasn't even referring to myself. My motor is of an earlier vintage, as in last century. You didn't think I could afford a house on the Dunmore Road and a new(ish) car, did you? I was just referring in general to the upper classes looking down on the middle classes. Being even further down the social ladder as I am, I find that kinda funny, in a Desperate Housewives sort of way.

Fair point about the Avensis though, it is the repmobile... though I wouldn't turn my nose up at one! Would make the commute to work (in KK) a lot more comfortable!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dunmore road is whrere you would go if you wanted people to think that you were full of yourself. There are far better areas to live in the city that out there

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    Dunmore road is whrere you would go if you wanted people to think that you were full of yourself. There are far better areas to live in the city that out there

Well if there are better options, then let's hear 'em! These two ladies are waiting for your input!

However if you want to start discussing the relative merits of Ardkeen/Grantstown/Maypark against the rest of the city (or to bash my adopted area... grrr!), then start a new thread. Could make for interesting discussion... I'm certainly sharpening my pencil at the prospect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

trust me you dont want to move to the dunmore road its a commuters hell move to the top of the town if possible 4 mins from city centre 7 mins from hospital via ring road and now posh people.
    trust me im a firefighter i wouldnt lie to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

portlairge wrote:
    trust me you dont want to move to the dunmore road its a commuters hell move to the top of the town if possible 4 mins from city centre 7 mins from hospital via ring road and now posh people.
    trust me im a firefighter i wouldnt lie to you.

Well if as it seems they'll be working in the hospital commuting won't be much of a problem. With this lovely weather they can just walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The only bad thing is that you have to pass by me to get where you're going.

fricatus wrote:
    I was just referring in general to the upper classes looking down on the middle classes. Being even further down the social ladder as I am, I find that kinda funny, in a Desperate Housewives sort of way.

Have to agree, it's a sad part of Irish society these days - Had to get away from it all.... :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fricatus wrote:
    However if you want to start discussing the relative merits of Ardkeen/Grantstown/Maypark against the rest of the city (or to bash my adopted area... grrr!), then start a new thread. Could make for interesting discussion... I'm certainly sharpening my pencil at the prospect!

Yes, Ardkeen, Grantstown, Powerscourt, Earls court and Viewmount are all along the Dunmore rd. I don't have a problem as such with the Dunmore Rd, except it it way to populated for my liking.

However estates like Williamstown park and Grange Manor are close enough to the hospital as are places out by Bracken drive and Fairfield Pk or those new houses opposite fairfield park are all with easy distance to the hospital.

Dunmore Road lifestyle may suit some people, but I am merely saying that there are alternatives.

So dont try and turn this into, the rest of the city versus the Dunmore Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Casa

thanks for all the advice. we are indeed going to be working in the hospital so we'd like to be near enough but not too worried about traffic- my guess is that a Waterford "commuter's hell" is a traffic-free day on the Dublin South side... p.s. does anyone know what Gracedieu is like? we found a fairly nice house there but it seems quite cheap. too good to be true. is Gracedieu where the Waterford scangers drink their Dutch Gold?

Yeah you'd be right about the traffic thing, for the most part the traffic is atleast moving most of the time.

As far as I'm aware grace dieu is closer to tramore then teh hospital. If you plan on driving from there it's no problem. But it would take a long time to walk from there.

I think she may mean Gracedieu up near the bucket factory Christophicus. As in Coady's pond....Bilberry goats...abseiling into the brewery, stealing kegs of beer (back when they made beer) and all that.

The Gracedieu you are talking about Casa is a fine place, about two-three miles from the Hospital. Depending on what time you'll be going to work it should take about 15-30 mins to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

Casa wrote:
    thanks for all the advice. we are indeed going to be working in the hospital so we'd like to be near enough but not too worried about traffic- my guess is that a Waterford "commuter's hell" is a traffic-free day on the Dublin South side... p.s. does anyone know what Gracedieu is like? we found a fairly nice house there but it seems quite cheap. too good to be true. is Gracedieu where the Waterford scangers drink their Dutch Gold?

Have you considered Ballybeg at all? It can be very exciting in the small hours of the morning, and you're bound to get a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Have you considered Ballybeg at all? It can be very exciting in the small hours of the morning, and you're bound to get a good deal.

Is that supposed to be funny??:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Aquos76 wrote:
    However estates like Williamstown park and Grange Manor are close enough to the hospital as are places out by Bracken drive and Fairfield Pk or those new houses opposite fairfield park are all with easy distance to the hospital.

And of course there is Grange Heights, The Grange, and Grange Lawn etc still very near the Hospital

Casa wrote:

Yeah, referring to the Dunmore Road as a "commuter's hell" is a bit of an exaggeration. Don't expect a quiet country lane either though. The traffic in Waterford moves every bit as slowly as it does in Dublin or any other city, but the distances are shorter too, and that's where you'll notice the difference!

Gracedieu is a nice area (that's where I'm originally from) and more down-to-earth than the Dunmore Road. If you were working in the city centre I would recommend it. You wouldn't have any problems with skangers there, but the main downside is that there is not much yet in the line of facilities (although there's a whole village centre being built from scratch out there at the moment).

The other thing is that it's not really convenient to the hospital. It's actually only about 20 minutes if you have a car and take the outer ring road, but if you're relying on public transport, forget it - you're looking at about an hour's journey (most of it standing around).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Try Riverview, its a quiet area and only 4 mins drive from hospital except at rush hour in the morning.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Roen wrote:
    I think she may mean Gracedieu up near the bucket factory Christophicus. As in Coady's pond....Bilberry goats...abseiling into the brewery, stealing kegs of beer (back when they made beer) and all that.

We have a bucket factory? Just buckets?:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dac51 wrote:
    Is that supposed to be funny??:mad: :mad:

What, are you telling me Eircom managed to safely provide broadband to Ballybeg?! :O

Just kidding with ya. Im sure Ballybeg is a lovely place to live. Aint ya near your Sinn Fein man, David Cullanen?! (or watever his name is)

looksee wrote:
    We have a bucket factory? Just buckets?:confused:

It used to be a bucket factory, then Warmel (WAteRford MEtaL Industries), now it's got a fancy name.
    It'll always be the Bucket Factory to me though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Casa wrote:
    thanks for all the advice. we are indeed going to be working in the hospital so we'd like to be near enough but not too worried about traffic- my guess is that a Waterford "commuter's hell" is a traffic-free day on the Dublin South side...
    Nah. The Dunmore Road is apparently one of the busiest roads in Ireland with at least 1000 cars or so an hour around peak times. Traffic slows down to a crawl at then so that what should be a five minute trip can take an eternity.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Sully wrote:
    Aint ya near your Sinn Fein man, David Cullanen?! (or watever his name is)

I wouldn't have thought so, since he lives in Graigenamanagh in Kilkenny now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

So do you two lovely girls wear nurses uniforms?? :D;)

Advertisement