Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

De-Stripping Gone WRONG

Options
  • 19-05-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

So guys i was starting to de-strip the side of my car today, One side came of perfect using white spirits and elbow greese. So i made a moce on the second side.... Poured some warm water onto the strip first to loosen the glue and SLOWLY pulled off the strip. This is what happened

I STILL really really wanna have a destripper car, from this it looks like the hot water made the paint bubble, so its my own fault

I'm thinkin if i take it to a bodyshop they could touch it up and lacker(sp?) it.

But what can i do to keep it safefor the weekend? Vaseline/ClearNail varnish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

:D Fiat Punto,

i'd say what happend there is the panel was painted before and not preped right, hot water wont do that, best bet is getting a touch up pen from a motor facotors and hope for the best.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

You should be able to get the paint and touch it up yourself...You can then use the likes of T-Cut (or similar compound) to blend it in...if you are careful, it should come out ok...

Other option is to get a big Rally Sticker and plant it on the door :D

best of luck with the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Hotwheels wrote:
    You can then use the likes of T-Cut (or similar compound) to blend it in...if you are careful, it should come out ok...

T-Cut will definitely NOT sort that out - in fact it will draw more attention to the area afterwards.

Best bet (although not ideal) is a touch up pen from Fiat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

WTF is a de-stripper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Removal of the door rubbing strips Dr. S. I'd say if you bring it somewhere it would need the whole door resprayed. I could be wrong though. Sure on a scorching day your paint work gets pretty hot so I doubt the hot water you put on it did the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

FX Meister wrote:
    Removal of the door rubbing strips Dr. S.

I see, I see, Mr. Meister. But why would anybody take off their door rubber?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that side was resprayed. I wouild have just got the strips painted, they're handy to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Hummmm.... Na after seeing the other side i REALLY wanna have it totally de-stripped. I'll give car craft a shout on monday or similer. If they reckon they can touch it up with using pens or otherwise then i'll go for that. If they cant and the whole panel would need a spray then i'll just colour code the strips.
    Gonna be a bloody nightmere lol Its on the rear panel too not the door :(

I wouldnt mind only i had a Punto Sporting before in this exact same colour and caused this after 2 days of owning it >>>>> (Car-vs-Gate Hinge)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had a Punto Sporting 7 years ago and did the exact same thing, must be an epedemic!

Advertisement