Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the MJ kerfuffle

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, saw this a few days ago. The worst thing is knowing that there are people out there who will buy it as soon as they can. (And the promptly jack off repeatedly looking at it, one can only assume...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The only response I can apply is "BOOOOOOBS!!!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Oooh it's so sexist, anti-feminist and tacky! I want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 M. Sean McManus

I'm saving up for the life sized version.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think the best thing is that the picture on the Sideshow page is 'shopped in such a way that the background sketch appears to show Mary Jane with a big leathery/scaly wang hanging down from her crotch.

Which, you know, would almost make the statue actually worth buying, just as a conversation piece. Admittedly it would only lead to conversations starting with "What the HELL?!" or "So, does this mean Spiderman's a receiver then?" but, you know, that's still conversation. Just about.

• Advertisement

Didn't know Adam Hughes had designed it, is it just me or does his art tend to lead towards a slightly sexist bent anyway?

I don't see what all the fuss is all about. Sure it's slightly unnerving to think what some will use it for, but the statue its self is perfect representation of the Mary Jane of the comic.

I get the feeling that most of those complaining are fans of the Mary Jane as portrayed by Kirsten Dunst, not the one found in the source material.

I'm not a follower of the comics at the moment, though I did follow them for a while years ago. It just seems pointlessly cheesecake-ish in a bad "No, really, women always wear clothes and strike poses that highlight their sexual attributes, because that's their purpose" kind of way. You'd never get an equivalently submissive male pose, though you might get a "lookit how manly I am, all the ladies want me" type statue.

I'd usually say that voting with your wallet on this one is the way to go, but sadly the existence of a slathering fanboy market nullifies that idea. (There again, if they're gonna pay about 300 dollars for an 18" statue to get...err...intimate over, well, bully for them.)

I never understood how those statues cost so much anyway, it always struck me as one of the most reprehensible aspects of the "comics as collectibles" market, deliberately restricting access to a product in demand in order to keep prices and profits high. (Hmm, does this make Marvel the Nintendo of the comics world?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Lea Hernandez comments on the "Heroes for Hire" #13 cover are fantastic.........the cover is hmmm well click and see for yourself

Oh, for the love of...

Hmmm. I'm really quite glad that superhero stuff tends not to interest me, otherwise I'd be constantly conflicted about this. At least the one ongoing mainstream title I regularly read has a male character generally behaving like a tart (John Constantine, possibly the biggest manwhore in the DCU...)

• Advertisement

It always come back to the tentacles...

That's pretty eh... softcore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

That's...quite sad. Those statues are pretty expensive too, aren't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

more on the ongoing hentai for hire cover kerfuffle.

Have to say I'm not that offend by the cover per say I just roll my eyes and then make sure not to buy but some of the piss takes popping up round the internet have been pretty funny.

Back to the MJ Kerfuffle just briefly - check this out! Hehehehe!

Advertisement