Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retired Greyhounds

Options
  • 19-05-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience with owning a retired Greyhound? I've no plans of getting 1 now, we've enough dogs! But it'd be something I'd consider in the future, there seems to be a lot of them out there and I'd love to know what sort of pets they make.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I meet one in the park sometimes, a sweet dog called Lucy, looks just like something out of the Book of Kells.

I was walking in a different park one day and a dog came bounding lovingly up to me, and who was it only Lucy, who had recognised me from our chats elsewhere. A real darling.

I've also met a lurcher, a real sweetie, acquired from travelling people by a woman whose adored pet she became. Much recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

My sister has two greyhounds along with two other dogs. According to her and I've also read elsewhere they make great pets. Seemingly they are couch potatoes and (surprisingly) dont need much exercise. They also have a great temperament. The animal rescue "PAWS" take in a lot of retired greyhounds. There is a lot of info on their website : www.paws.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I've got two retired greyhounds, and to be perfectly honest, I'd never consider another breed after getting to know these two!

They're fantastic pets - they're affectionate, intelligent, and clean. They don't eat a whole lot and just LOVE to sleep :) Its really great to see them tearing around the garden - but they tire out quickly so a couple of short walks every day will keep them content.

Its widely known (from books and in the greyhound community) that these dogs make great family pets, but its just the common misconception that 'they'd ate ya' ruins their chances of finding a home, and they're often dumped in pounds, or worse. I've had my two for nearly 2 years. Not once in that time did I see any sign of aggression towards any person, you could take food out of their mouths, literally! They're great with other dogs, and children too.

There are loads of articles online about how to keep retired greyhounds. Happy reading.

http://www.ispca.ie/content/grey-pets.html
    http://www.irishanimals.com/greyhounds/index.html

Nice to see people taking an interest in their welfare, god only knows there are enough greyhounds to go around! Rigbsy is right about Paws.ie, they're always overflowing with greyhounds. The sad thing is they have to export many of them to Sweden, Boston and the U.K for rehoming since there isn't enough interest here. Sad.

Advertisement