Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car...

Options
  • 19-05-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Well,

Im into motorbikes at the moment , but I want to get my first car, but I havent a clue whatd be a good choice. I dont want a 1ltr, too slow, yet I dont want a 1.6vtec honda civic cause Im not into the whole boy racer thing lol :)

Any sugestions lads? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

1.4 Opel Astra?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are loads of options, is there any particular style of car you like, or do you know how much you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

How long is a piece of string Finch!

What's your general price range?

I'd generally avoid anything VW, including the Golf. Although they hold their value, they are very over-rated and the build quality hasn't been so good in recent years.

...and at the risk of being flambèd by people, I'd also advise you steer clear of anything French, Italian (ok - Fiat) or Korean in the same price range.

I'd reckon maybe a Nissan Almera (very reliable) or something equivalent in a Toyota. You can also get some great deals on Skodas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

If its your first you will prob be keeping around the 1.4L mark. A bit of poke but still cheap to insure and run. I've got a MK3 opel astra 1.4. I've owned it 3 years and event though I had to get the head gasget done a few months ago for an 11 year old car it has performed great. Parts are cheap and I even got to uprate the brakes off a corsa GSi as they were going for a steal and they fitted right on. Insurance and tax is affordable too. Best thing is build up a bit of no claims, then get something with more power. Thats my plan anyway!

Whats your rough budget for the car so we can point you in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Finch-

Well I was thinkin hatchback, mainly cause I cant paralell park yet lol Im drivin a motorbike at the moment, mad into em, I prefer em over cars really, so when it comes to cars im clueless lol

I would probably prefer a saloon though, just in case of a crash lol

roughly though bout 5grand im willin to spend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

You would get a good 206 for that, or if you don't like it you could get a VW golf or pug 306. All Come in 1.4 and are a decent enough size yet are not too large to make parking difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Finch-

hmm not really into the golfs or 206's :(

how are the bmw 316's? I heard there a bit slow, but cant be slower then a 1ltr right? ;) Do they eat up petrol?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Finch- wrote:
    hmm not really into the golfs or 206's :(

how are the bmw 316's? I heard there a bit slow, but cant be slower then a 1ltr right? ;) Do they eat up petrol?

They are very ponderous. Buy an "M" badge, an induction kit, and a big bore exhaust and your sorted though ;)

I'd advise on a 1.25 16v Fiesta Zetec 3 door. Nippy, good to drive, decent to run, and a good all around compromise. I saw a 00 Ghia (a good one) change hands for €3000 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Bought a 1.4 astra (new shape) last week. Very happy with it so far, seems lively enough (world apart from the 1.2 punto i was driving!). Seems cheap enough to run too. Took it for a spin on really bad back roads yesterday and it handles pretty good

Advertisement