Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar - Bass?

Options
  • 19-05-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Ive been teaching myself guitar now for a while, and im actually gonna get lessons this summer, but im thinking about bass now instead. Im real confused at the mo.
    Any advice? The guitar I have is in top nick, so i dunno whether i should keep going and get started on the lessons and buy myself a cheap bass and teach myself that aswell, or trade in my guitar for a bass and get lessons on that and get an accoustic guitar and teach myself that.
    Yeh, i am confused, hah.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think the only person who knows the answer to this is you. I play both and I couldn't see myself not playing both. I'm primarily a bassist but I play guitar in a band. If you enjoy guitar, stick with it. If you're curious about bass get a cheap one and see if you like that too. Don't sell your guitar if you like playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Yeh your right. Ive only started guitar so i'll give the lessons a go in the summer.
    Maybe i'll just teach myself bass.
    Any ideas where i can find a cheap bass actually?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Starting with guitar is a better idea imo, a lot of the things you'll learn can be transferred to bass anyway

As for finding a cheap bass, thomann.de is usually the biznis

Little bass guitar, amp, strap and lead for €105 seems to be the cheapest bass pack.

Also, most guitar players I know end up playing bass, mandolin, banjo, keyboards as well anyway. So no real need to limit yourself in the long run, but guitar is a great place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is banjo easy or hard after you've become acomplished on the guitar?

SumGuy wrote:
    Starting with guitar is a better idea imo, a lot of the things you'll learn can be transferred to bass anyway

As for finding a cheap bass, thomann.de is usually the biznis

Little bass guitar, amp, strap and lead for €105 seems to be the cheapest bass pack.

Also, most guitar players I know end up playing bass, mandolin, banjo, keyboards as well anyway. So no real need to limit yourself in the long run, but guitar is a great place to start.
    Ok thanks a mill. I was thinking on taking the bass lessons there yesterday and just teaching guitar myself, but everyones saying guitar first.
    Cheers for the link!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Definitely keep your guitar going as well, and you'll be able to use your previously gained knowledge and skills to soon be playing *two* different instruments (yes, they are different in terms of technique and outlook, but similar enough).

Banjo, on the other hand, is a torture device (might as well be strung with barbed wire) who's only reason for existence seems to be to mock you...."Just because you can play 9 other stringed instruments doesn't mean you can play ME! Muahahahahaaaa!"

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Buttons_sb wrote:
    Ok thanks a mill. I was thinking on taking the bass lessons there yesterday and just teaching guitar myself, but everyones saying guitar first.
    Cheers for the link!:D

I wouldn't go for the one in the link, it's a short scale junior bass!

Parsley wrote:
    I wouldn't go for the one in the link, it's a short scale junior bass!
    Oh haha
    Well, as you can see, im not up to scratch at all on the bass section.
    Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I have no clue whether any 'store' brands like Harley Benton or Rogue are even playable.....but an entire generation of folks have bought Squires as their bread'n'butter first unit. See if you can find a Squire package that includes the amp and gizmos.

The REAL secret is to take a bass player with you to a store with all these choices - and have him try some out for you and make a recommendation.

Then you can make decisions on how much you can afford with at least a little foreknowledge.

I still own a Squire myself, I consider it my Blues guitar. (It is, however, a 'vintage' Squire strat made by Fender in a Fender factory. Squire split off and has been a separate company for a while.)

Edit: Ahaaa! http://www.squierguitars.com/ (heheh, just realized I'd been spelling it wrong all this time) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

youre far better off sticking to one thing. You will progress much much faster.

Pick bass. Not only is it the coolest of all instruments there is a shortage of bass players. not just good ones. any!

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the advice and link Rustar :D

Yeh, i was told that the other day! Hmm im still 50 50 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BassAce

Another consideration is how you feel for the music, and if you want to sing as well. I'm a bass player - though I can play 6-string rhythm - and whenever I listen to a song I always pick out the bass. In retrospect, I did this even as a kid, so I just seem to have an attraction to the thing. Also, if you find yourself tapping your fingers to the rhythm all time when listening to music, whilst picking out a funky tune in your head, bass it is!

If you want to sing too, rhythm guitar is best... if you're Paul McCartney, you can play tricky bass lines and sing no problem, but for mortals it's more difficult. Can be done, but for me, a different part of the brain seems to handle either function.

Just a couple of things to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hitch-Hiker

BassAce wrote:
    Another consideration is how you feel for the music, and if you want to sing as well. I'm a bass player - though I can play 6-string rhythm - and whenever I listen to a song I always pick out the bass. In retrospect, I did this even as a kid, so I just seem to have an attraction to the thing. Also, if you find yourself tapping your fingers to the rhythm all time when listening to music, whilst picking out a funky tune in your head, bass it is!

If you want to sing too, rhythm guitar is best... if you're Paul McCartney, you can play tricky bass lines and sing no problem, but for mortals it's more difficult. Can be done, but for me, a different part of the brain seems to handle either function.

Just a couple of things to consider.
    :D True story, If I ever tried to sing back up in my old band I'd mess up my rhythm on my bass.

Anyway, I'd agree with what the first reply said aswell. Its really up to you. Everyone's different in their preferences. Try the bass out and see if you like it. If not, go back to guitar. DO NOT SELL YOUR GUITAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

A couple of things to keep in mind - many people start playing bass first because they've heard it's easier, but then lose motivation because there's really not a whole lot a beginner bassist can do on his own. If you have some friends looking to form a band, who are a similar ability level to you, this is great motivation to pick up a bass and get damn good at it. However, if you see yourself playing by yourself it's a whole lot more fun learning guitar chords. Learning to play either is not that difficult, but can be slow going at first, and motivation is very important.

Also, as has been said before, there are many intermediate and advanced guitar players around, but not many dedicated bass players, so they are in demand. And playing bass is generally less demanding (runs to hide from angry four-stringed mob).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

And playing bass is generally less demanding (runs to hide from angry four-stringed mob).

No need to hide :D this is just my slant on the above statement.

In some ways you are right. It depends on your goals. If you want to jam with friends and do covers then you'll get by with a limited knowledge and skill. If you want to take it up seriously e.g. become a session musician and play all styles of music then it is very demanding, like all musicial instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

A word of advice regarding lessons, go to Thomas Brunker,
    You'll find him in the sticky above, he's very good and you will advance quickly with practice whilst learning the theory.
    And no i am not on comission or a friend of his just an ex pupil who rates him highly having been through a few would be teachers!

What ever you do enjoy it and don't give up, it's taken me ages to get anywhere as i have a sieve for a brain but i do get a lot of pleasure out of it and have done all along!

Good luck!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BassAce

Rigsby wrote:
    No need to hide :D this is just my slant on the above statement.

In some ways you are right. It depends on your goals. If you want to jam with friends and do covers then you'll get by with a limited knowledge and skill. If you want to take it up seriously e.g. become a session musician and play all styles of music then it is very demanding, like all musicial instruments.
    Yes, it depends what style of music you are playing too. Basslines in classic soul music, for instance, can be very tricky - in contrast to some rock stuff where root notes are the mainstay. Check out Motown basslines, and 70s disco stuff like Chic. As well as playing a lot of notes quickly and accurately (melody and timing), you've got a lot more distance to travel on a bass fretboard, whilst keeping the other strings quiet. Then - if you favour a four-string - you can very often find yourself way up in order to reach a note that can be played on the same fret with the benefit of 6 strings.

Try both... but if you want to start playing rhythm guitar quickly, learn a good bar E and A (and the variations of each) - then you can add open chords as you go along. Really though, I think it comes down to what you 'feel' and pick out when you hear music. For me that happens to the the bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Still a beginner in both but i made the transition from acoustic guitar to electric bass after about a year or so. It was inevitable really, considering i'd occasionally end up impotantly attempting bass lines on my acoustic. I enjoy it alot more, but it's really down to taste. Also i kept my other guitar and still pick it up from time to time. Obviously try out before you buy as well.

Advertisement