Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Season Chelsea chat

• 19-05-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Which memories really stood out this year?
    Ws it all disapointment?
    Who were your favourite and worst players?
    Will Mourinho be here next autumn?
    Who will he buy and who SHOULD he buy?

and so on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Just today seeing Cech lifting the cup after coming back from such a horrific injury,he's a legend.Delighted to see him come back so strongly.

The essien goal against valencia and the Sheva goal against spurs were real highlights.

Ws it all disapointment?
    Not at all,Of course at the start of the season most people though we'd walk the league with the signings of Sheva and Ballack,but given the injuries to Cech,Cole and Terry we've done remarkably well and it is arguably Mourinhos finest season to have been fighting on all fronts despite all the issues.It was great to see Mikel become a regular in the side,he's now a key player for us and I think he will be immense next season.Of course another shame is to see Makelele obviously in decline,he's been a great player.

Essien - An absolute monster,such an inspiration in midfield and he never tires.I always believe we can win any match with him in the side.He also never complains about being played out of position and usually does a very good job when he does.

Drogba - What can you say really,33 goals from a striker who doesnt take penalties.He's scored crucial goals and in all the big matches,if you look at the teams he has scored against this season.Hope he gets world player of the year.

Carvalho - Another fantastic player,he's done brilliantly given the defensive injuries this season,he's superb at bringing the ball out of defense and starting attacks.Arguably the worlds best centre back.

Worst players,well its hard to say.Obviously Sheva has been shocking at times,never really looked fit.

Yep i think so.

Well given the African cup of nations next season,we will be missing key players in the midfield and up front,would love to see Gudjohnson back tbh.And I wouldnt say no to Berbatov or Tevez!

We might see crespo come back from loan in january.

I think players like Robben and Cole and Sheva will be like new signings next season in the way that Scholes was for united this season,once they have a proper pre-season and are fit.

I'm not really sure about the right back position.Paulo seems to be back in favour and has been very good lately,but he was missing for most of the season despite being fit.It is strange given that in his first season he was defensively superb,rarely beaten.There is also talk of Glen Johnson returning from loan too.

Anyway I've really enjoyed the season,we've shown great character and fighting spirit and two domestic cups is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'm not a Chelsea fan, at all, in fact I quite resent the silly spending and arrogant behaviour. But anyway, here is my view on Chelsea's season.

1. I sincerely thought with the acquisition of Shevchenko, that Chelsea would cruise another league.

2. There were a lot of injuries, especially in defense.

3. Chelsea play a very ugly type of football, and its unnecessary because of all the quality in the team. Shevchenko and Ballack might have performed better had they played a more technical, less physical type of football.

4. If Abramovich sacks Mourinho, he'll hardly get a better manager, and may risk losing Terry/Lampard and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's tough to spend 50 million in the summer and actually make your team significantly worse.

The sale of Gallas was stupid. The sale of Huth was stupid. The sale of Duff was silly. The signing of Boularhouz was terrible, he is a shocking player.
    Shev and Ballack is just one of those things imo, I still would go back in time and get United to sign them if I could (although not at the price for Shev)
    Kalou isn't a bad player I think, give him time.
    Mikel is gona be a great player.

I think if Mourinho was in charge of transfers, he did a terrible job in the summer, and in the end, he's only got himself to blame. If he wasn't in charge of transfers, then that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

For a team that wants to challenge for 4 trophies, having no backup defenders is ridiculous, and cost Chelsea both the League and a decent shot the the CL. Huth would certainly have plugged the hole in central defense, and Gallas could play anywhere across the back 4.

Boularhouz is/was a hatchet man.

And I think in terms of the summer signings, I think we will see two defenders bought.
    One center back, probably a youthful potential player. One player who can play across the back 4. Of course, the latter type of player is extremely difficult to find, and Chelsea had the best one in the world, but they sold him, for Cashley Cole.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    And I think in terms of the summer signings, I think we will see two defenders bought.
    One center back, probably a youthful potential player. One player who can play across the back 4. Of course, the latter type of player is extremely difficult to find, and Chelsea had the best one in the world, but they sold him, for Cashley Cole.
    Alex will almost certainly be brought I think.And Boula should stay(I'm not writing him off,he dealt with Ronaldinho superbly lets not forget)

By kicking him :) I forgot about Alex, he seems to be a pretty good player.

In defence, it will leave Chelsea with:

RB: Ferreira, Boularhouz
    CB: Terry, Carvalho, Alex
    LB: Cole, Bridge

Aside from LB, that's still a bit weak. I don't know what's happened to Ferreira, he used to be a cracking player, but he ain't what he used to be. We could see another RB brought in, as well as Alex and a 4 man coverer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

can see them going for micah richards at some stage this season.

what's the deal with Lamps and Terry? i hear Chelsea are in real danger of losing them. Ambramovich wont sanction wage increases to match what Ballack and Sheva are on apparently and the boys find that an insult. any truth to this? surely getting those two to sign new contracts is priority #1!

any truth to this? surely getting those two to sign new contracts is priority #1!

I've heard that too, that they won't offer them parity in wages to Ballack and Shevchenko. Obviously they think this is a joke, and want more.
    Chelsea better hurry up. I think they are just waiting to see that Mourinho is staying. Once they are sure of that, they will sign on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lampard did make a comment yesterday that he wants to stay a the club for the rest of his life and for the fans not too worry. i know these things can never be taken as gospel but its definately got to be reassuring to the blue's fans at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    I think if Mourinho was in charge of transfers, he did a terrible job in the summer, and in the end, he's only got himself to blame. If he wasn't in charge of transfers, then that's another story.
    He wasn't though.

Frank Arnesen is the man responsible for bringing in young players into Chelsea. He was responsible for Kalou, Mikel and Boularhouz.

Shevchenko was obviously an Abramovich signing, surely it's clear to everyone that the two men never saw eye to eye. I would guess that Ballack was another player who Abramovich wanted.

The one player that Mourhino wanted this season was Tal Ben-Haim, we all see what happened then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

PHB wrote:

Chelsea to swoop for John O'Shea!

In fairness to José or whoever, I don't think keeping Gallas was an option. Maybe that was partly their own doing, but I guess that was just one of those things. I think you're right about the signings in any case.

I don't really think the African nations will prove to catastrophic for Chelsea. Even with just the current squad, they're pretty strong assuming no injuries. The only area it really upsets is up front with the loss of Drogba and Kalou - they might have been looking to strengthen there anyway.

Cech
    Ferreira Terry Carvalho ColeA
    Lampard Makelele Ballack
    Robben Shevchenko ColeJ

With a bench of Cudicini, Boulahrouz (he can't be that bad again can he?), Bridge, SWP, Sidwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gallas can play anywhere across the back 4, it's easy for us to say that, but if he's not happy playing anywhere across the back 4, and is determined to be a centre-half (so much so that he'll engineer himself am ill-fated transfer), then there's not a whole lot you can do to hold onto him.

I can't say the slagging of Ashley Cole bothers me, I'm sure he's a total sap but on the pitch he's been the best left-back in the league this season. He'll establish himself as such next season, whatever about Evra being a terrific player as well.

I can't say the slagging of Ashley Cole bothers me, I'm sure he's a total sap but on the pitch he's been the best left-back in the league this season.

Which cole have you been watching? He has been nowhere near his previous form for Arsenal, and Bridge has been much better than him when he has played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

I partly agree, Bridge has been amazing, don't know why Mourinho never 'got into him'
    Cole has been very solid, but has he offered much else? certainly not going forward~all those too long balls.

Frank Arnesen is the man responsible for bringing in young players into Chelsea. He was responsible for Kalou, Mikel and Boularhouz.
    How exactly do you know this?Chelsea were tracking Mikel long before Arnesen was on the scene.

Definately agree with PHB about Bridge being better than Cole,bridge has offered a lot more going forward.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to measure the worth of my full-backs primarily in the extent to which they prove themselves capable of snuffing out the threat posed by opposition wingers. Cole does this better than any full-back in the league IMO, by whatever means necessary, often taking a booking for the team when necessary.

FWIW, I think Bridge is scandalously under-rated, under-valued, and generally under-appreciated. I hope he doesn't come to the concolusion that he'll have to leave Chelsea to enjoy the rewards he's capable of earning, but I think he might come to exactly that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Anam wrote:
    How exactly do you know this?Chelsea were tracking Mikel long before Arnesen was on the scene.
    Arnesen is Director of Football. His job recruiting young talent for the club.

Arnesen is Director of Football. His job recruiting young talent for the club.
    I'm well aware of that,however just because Mikel is a young talent doesnt mean Arnesen brought him in.

As I said,Chelsea had been tracking Mikel long before Arnesen came along so its nonsense to say Arnesen brought him in.Kalou and co,probably,but Mikel was on the agenda already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The second half performance against Valencia we really did batter them, when Essien scored the house erupted. I think 3-1 down to Spurs was the turning point in the fa cup.

Ws it all disapointment?

Of course I'm disappinted we didn't win the league, but was more gutted losing to Pool on pennos, to be honest we didn't deserve to beat them and good luck next week.
    Faves:

Essien- he's a monster, he always keeps going.
    Carv- IMO our best CB this year, reminds me of Lebouef coming out of def.
    Terry- despite the head injury is always there in the right place, hasn't been the same player though.
    Lamps- Not been his greatest season but goals and 20 assists, you can't ask for much more.
    Mikel- after a stuttery start, the man is growing in confidence, just wish he could be a bit bolder with his passing.
    Drogba- he's been lethal, quick physical and first touch is much much better, scored different goals all season.
    Diarra- I reckon could do well in the holding role.

Worst

Sheva- his pace has gone and his touches are appalling.
    Ballack- seemed laboured to me, was finding a bit of form when he got injured
    Bolua- despite a good start his confidence went to pieces.

Yes

Well Sidwell and Alex are bound, good signings, I think a RB will come in, despite PF good run of late form. Love us to get Barba or Tevez.
    By the way we were correct to get rid of Duffer, hasn't been same player since he dislocated his shoulder.

• Advertisement

"Our squad is obvious and it's easy to understand that we need a central defender, we need another midfield player, especially because we will lose Michael Essien and Mikel [John Obi] for the African Nations Cup, and we need a striker because we will lose Didier and Salomon [Kalou]," said Mourinho

Alex, Sidwell and another striker :) Maybe Crespo will be recalled?

I'm very happy if that's what happens. I think Chelsea's downfall in the league has been due to the formation, and this seems to suggest that Mourinho is gona stick with the 4-4-2 with 4 central midfielders.

Also, I think only one defender will mean that they will still be weak in RB, and still not great in depth defensively, so I'll be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

coming back from 3-1 against spurs and going on to beat them at the Lane, pre-season against celtic having got in a row with some rangers muppets, going to Porto (dreadful game but great trip), Valencia away superb result, drawing with Newcastle which marked the end of our league challenge (in my mind anyway), Macclesfield scoring agaisnt us at the bridge..pure shock, and walking into wembley on saturday for the first time since 2000...superb...walking back out again having won....even better.

Was it all disapointment?
    Not at all , we'd really lost the league by mid Jan and Utd looked unstoppable. Getting 2 cups out of the season was a result, temporarily giving utd the premiershup trophy back was always on the cards this year and losing Cech and Terry had a massive impact.

Essien, legend.

Boulawotsit.... despite his marking of ronaldinho the man is a disaster.

hope so.

central defence cover, another winger to give us cover for when Robben is playing dead, right back even though Paulo is getting better.

Why won't he just buy two solid wingers.
    Even players like Joaquin, and Quaresma who are solidm but good, combined with j.cole and robben we would be back flying like last year team,

Throw SWP in the bin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He wasn't though.

You're wrong there actually.

He is only responsable for the signing of players to the acadmey, not senois team.

Obi Mikel was signed at Murinho's request after he watched a nigerian u20's match with him in it and afterwards discribed him as "pure gold"

He'd tried to sign Boularhouz 4 years ago for Porto and then got him last summer and he'd had Kalou watched 16 times in the last 3 years by his personal scout, who is also a coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

PHB wrote:
    Alex, Sidwell and another striker :) Maybe Crespo will be recalled?

I'm very happy if that's what happens. I think Chelsea's downfall in the league has been due to the formation, and this seems to suggest that Mourinho is gona stick with the 4-4-2 with 4 central midfielders.

Also, I think only one defender will mean that they will still be weak in RB, and still not great in depth defensively, so I'll be happy :)

If they sign one centre back they still have Glen Johnson coming back from loan, which is good competition for the other at right back.

Besides, Paulo is hardly playing badly, he's just been injured a lot this season, he kept "the best player in the world as according to sky sports" out of the match on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

I think the memories that stick out in my mind are the injury to Chec in the Reading game and Terrys injury. Chec's was pivotal in us not retaining the league (I don't think we would have dropped so many points over Xmas had he been there). Terry getting skulled and playing a handfull of days later says a lot about him.

On field memories are the late late equalizer v Barcelona , our winner v Valencia, the Spurs cup game comeback and I think I'll remember last Saturdays Drogba goal for a while yet (though the rest of the match was pretty unforgettable). Bad memories was obviously the penalty shhotout v Liverpool and dropping points in successive games over the Xmas period. And of course Sheva....enough said!!

Was it all disapointment?
    We won 2 out of the 4 trophies available to us (albeit the least 2 important and no i don't count the charity shield as a real trophy). Knocked out on penalties in the semi finals of one and coming second in the other. This can't be viewed as all disapointment (had we lost on Saturday though it would have left ended the season on a bitter note).

Essien - pure class
    Sheva - pure... He played well in patches but overall a poor return on money and expectations (can't be blamed for his work rate though).

Yep!

No big names apparently! I would concentrate on defenders, which would leave Essien play midfield where he belongs. Also an upfront player (who knows where the goal is!) is required - we will be missing 4 key players in January due to Africian nations cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Chelsea fans would be too disaapointed with their haul this season...they ran Man U very very close, the margin bewteen winning a PL and coming second - a few draws / dropped points? Not very much. The injuries hurt them because, foolishly, they shipped out / sold most of their reserve defenders - d'oh! A few tweaks here and there, provided Mourinho stays, and Man U will be in for a tough ride in retaining there title!

PHB wrote:
    The sale of Gallas was stupid. The sale of Huth was stupid. The sale of Duff was silly. The signing of Boularhouz was terrible, he is a shocking player.
    Shev and Ballack is just one of those things imo,

Couldn't do much re the sale of Gallas (great to see it worked out for him at Arsenal:) ) but I agree with you about Huth and Boularhouz (and your comments about Sheva and Ballack). Offloading Duff was a great bit of business!!

SCULLY wrote:
    Offloading Duff was a great bit of business!!

not really. you bought a very good player for 17mil. completely changed his game around and made him a sh*tty player and only got 5mil. dunno how anyone could that's a good bit of business... :confused:

• Advertisement

By not having to pay his wages anymore...

Like that affects a club of Chelsea's wealth...sure they kept Bogarde on 40k a week and this was before Abramovich came along!

SCULLY wrote:
    By not having to pay his wages anymore...

that's just cutting lossess. wouldn't exactly call it a good bit of business...

not really. you bought a very good player for 17mil. completely changed his game around and made him a sh*tty player and only got 5mil. dunno how anyone could that's a good bit of business... :confused:
    Oh please,Chelsea made Duff crap did they?I suppose it was Mourinhos fault?

Complete rubbish.Duff is the player he is now because of injuries,selling him was the right decision.

Selling Huth and Gudjohnson was more of a mistake imo

Anam wrote:
    Oh please,Chelsea made Duff crap did they?I suppose it was Mourinhos fault?

yes, yes it was. Mourinho changed his game , he placed more defensive responsibility on his shoulders, sometimes we saw him play more as an extra full back rather than winger, Mourinho's more conservative attitude made him less likely to take a gamble and have a go at players etc., rather it played back to the midfield etc. sure injuries have hampered Duff, but before the injuries we saw a completely different duff with regards attitude in no small part due to Mourinho, his game-plan and expectations of the players.

Complete rubbish.Duff is the player he is now because of injuries,selling him was the right decision.

selling him didn't look so good in all those games that Chelsea lacked width this season. selling him for 5m didn't look so good considering they initially paid 17m.

yes, yes it was. Mourinho changed his game , he placed more defensive responsibility on his shoulders, sometimes we saw him play more as an extra full back rather than winger, Mourinho's more conservative attitude made him less likely to take a gamble and have a go at players etc., rather it played back to the midfield etc. sure injuries have hampered Duff, but before the injuries we saw a completely different duff with regards attitude in no small part due to Mourinho, his game-plan and expectations of the players.

selling him didn't look so good in all those games that Chelsea lacked width this season. selling him for 5m didn't look so good considering they initially paid 17m.
    Oh yeah is that why Cole and Robben are so defensive and don't take people on?And that SWP guy,he never takes on full backs.

Not to mention that just because he appeared more defensive for Chelsea doesnt mean he HAS to play like that for other teams.

And yes selling him was the right decision,he's hardly set the world alight at newcastle has he.

• Advertisement

Duff's defensive side of his game had nothnig do with his loss of form. Jose worked on J Cole's defensive side too, did he become a bad player? no he excelled into a better player.
    The truth is Duff's form dipped badly, right decision, and despite socring great goals Eidur was the right decision too, doesn't have enough pace, quick feet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i think most chelsea fans miss watching duff and robben together, it made for great football and we always looked dangerous with the both on the attack, personally I do think the mourinho styke ruined Duff's ability to play at chelsea, he was never made for defence though as an overall player i'm sure have both an attacking and defensive role would have improved him, JM tried to make him do both and ended up with a player unable / unsure enough to do either.

As i've said before, I don't love the way chelsea play football at the moment, it could be a lot better, and with the talent we have grinding out 1-0 wins seems a poor application of all that skill, but, given the many years of not winning anything in cavalier fashion, I can't say i'm not happy with the new silverware collection. :)

I don't miss seeing Duff and Robben playing together. There are two reasons; one, they were rarely played together, and two, either or both are usually injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bateman wrote:
    I don't miss seeing Duff and Robben playing together. There are two reasons; one, they were rarely played together, and two, either or both are usually injured.
    They played together most of the time in 04/05, the last time Duff was on form.

What happened Duff was that Mourinho doesn't like out and out wingers. He tried to get him to use his brain a bit more, play a passing game and take on his opponent a few times in the game. He was kept "on the leash" for a year and a half and seemed to lose the ability to take on players. I suppose he'd need to be doing it week in week out for his instincts to work and read the opposing players. He was embarrassed in San Marino, probably his worst performance for Ireland. A team he would have destroyed 3 years ago and he obviously didn't have to do much defensively in that match.

We'll agree to disagree eirebhoy, I think the injuries he's suffered were a massive factor in his decline, Mourinho's tactics much, much less of a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why do you think that? His form has been poor since after the start of 2005. He had maybe one medium term injury between then and the end of his time at Chelsea, for 2 months. I don't see what injuries has to do with him not taking players on and failing when he did try. It was obvious that was his instructions and spending 18 months with those instructions has taken away his spark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ok just getting in on this now.

My personal moment of the season was the Valencia game. Great game dominated by in my opinion the best player in the premier league. Essien.

Was it a disappointing season, of course not. I think its more flattering to Chelsea at the heights they now opperate where by people class a domestic cup double as a failure. Believe me as a blues fan for over 20 years there have been seasons where I'd have jumped at the carling cup on its own!

Outstanding players. Essien, Drog, Carvalho, Cech. I know he missed most of it but his form since has been outstanding and to echo someone else. Seeing him lift the cup after what happened almost brought a tear to my eye.

Players for next season. Mikel is starting to shut a lot of people up, really growing and I believe he will be another Essien next season. In fact long term I think a Mikel and Essien midfield is a mouth watering prospect.

Low points. JT and Cech injuries. Killed us. Bhoularouz, who decided he could play football. Shocking player. Ballack and Sheva although I always say, give any player a second season before judging them. I make an exception in the Bhoularouz case as its just obvious he hasn't got it!

Transfers. Sidwell a good cover signing after all we are loosing Essien and Mikel for january. Alex great option for defense.

As for the outs. Huth I think is always going to be average, shame we lost him as he would be good cover. Gallas well he had alread decided to leave so not a lot could be done there. Bad loss though. I completely disagree with PHB. The sale of Duff was a great deal. He has not performed for years and was hugely over rated in my opinion.

It seems the Sidwell deal has been confirmed.
    Is he good enough to make the team?
    or was he bought as a squad player?
    Where exactly does he play in midfield?

Anam wrote:
    Oh yeah is that why Cole and Robben are so defensive and don't take people on?And that SWP guy,he never takes on full backs.
    then how come Mourinho has been so reluctant to play them at times? i dont think you can argue that we've seen both of these players at their best (or rather that they have lived up to their full potential, SWP hasn't been given a proper chance and Robben peaked in his first season imo (granted he had injuries, but still... methinks Mourinho has an impact on this). lately Jose has only been playing wingers when he has no other alternative (well, more so in the case of SWP i guess).
    Not to mention that just because he appeared more defensive for Chelsea doesnt mean he HAS to play like that for other teams.

no, but some players do find it very difficult to change thier overall mantality and approach to the game. why do you think some players take years to settle fully into a new system and some seem to hardly need more than a few matches? sometimes to get the most out of your players you've just got to give them a bit more freedom, Ferguson learned that through dealing with Cantona i believe.
    And yes selling him was the right decision,he's hardly set the world alight at newcastle has he.
    neither has Michael Owen, Luque, and so on in that order. Newcastle has a habit of making decent players look **** these days, i think it's more to do with the clubs internal set up than the players. it happens too frequently, it's like their jinxed. i doubt the situation would have been the same elsewhere. (but strangely enough, there have been glimpses of Duff returning to his best, Ireland games for example, strange that that would happen after leaving Chelsea imo)

Claudio Pizarro seems on his way on a free and this from the sun

Roman Abramovich has reportedly told Chelsea he will no longer spend his billions on the club.

The Russian owner has, according to The Sun, decided that he no longer wants to be a key decision maker and believes the club should operate as a proper business - meaning they will have to generate their own transfer budget like most other clubs.

That throws into doubt the future of stars Frank Lampard and John Terry who are both negotiating new deals.

Abramovich, who revealed his plans at a meeting last Monday, has imposed a wage cap and with both England internationals unwilling to settle for less than they feel they are worth, Chelsea may decide to cash in this summer as both players have two years left on their current contracts.

The club are hoping to bring in three new players in the summer, but won't splash the cash on transfer fees as they have in the past.

Steve Sidwell has already joined on a free transfer from Reading with Claudio Pizarro of Bayern Munich set to do likewise, while Brazilian defender Alex will join from PSV in July for a fee of one dollar.

Tbh, I think this is just Chelsea saying to the world, we won't pay 30 million for players to sit on the bench anymore. I still expect big signings this summer

Yes and its also the sun LOL.

I expect the club to spend to buy one big player and the rest squad players.

There really isn't too much to do with te Chelsea squad...their undoing this season was injuries to key players and not having the squad players to fill in...letting Johnson go on loan and getting rid of Huth were mistakes...a few squad additions and Chelsea will be in good stead...if they really wanted to they could bring in a striker, amore reliable one than Shevchenko to maybe ease the burden on Drogba (if you took him out of last season's side...)....who will be absent for the African Nations anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think, if anything, the presence of Shevchenko in the new 4-2-2-2 formation helped free up Drogba to score more goals this season. So Shevchenko was useful in that respect. Whereas before in the 4-5-1, Drogba wouldn't have had as many opportunities and the goals were more spread about in the team.

Definitely agree regarding Huth. Would've made a massive difference had he stayed and free up Essien to dominate midfield.

Pizarro has signed according to the Times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement