Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business loan

Options
  • 19-05-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking for some advice from people with a working knowledge of banks. I'm thinking of setting up a business later this year and will need to have a meeting with the bank manager. My problem is this, I've a few extra piercings in the facial area, nothing too excessive but more than is acceptable to work for a bank, say. Anyway, as long as my business plan and financial projections are solid and realistic will the metally bits be overlooked or should I take out whatever possible incase he/she thinks I'll just run off with the money as thats what no good street punks do? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I would hope they would be more interested in what collateral you can provide for the loan.

If I was the bank manager I would be asking myself, would YOUR customers find your piercings off-putting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Diceicle wrote:
    Hi

Just looking for some advice from people with a working knowledge of banks. I'm thinking of setting up a business later this year and will need to have a meeting with the bank manager. My problem is this, I've a few extra piercings in the facial area, nothing too excessive but more than is acceptable to work for a bank, say. Anyway, as long as my business plan and financial projections are solid and realistic will the metally bits be overlooked or should I take out whatever possible incase he/she thinks I'll just run off with the money as thats what no good street punks do? ;)

IMO People can and often make rash assessments, fine if it they go in your favour. Thesedays Bank Managers are much more aware and business savvy, that said they will be happy to drill down to the fundamentals, all being well you should have no problems. However if they detect anything which might cause uncertainty/concern it might be exacerbated if your personal presentation also gives cause for concern. If you're selling motor bikes fine, but food well ........

It's your call, if you want bank's money be prepared to dance to their tune, and be smart about it. Later on you can dress up again. On the otherhand, if you want to be on the losing side, go as is and take a chance.

You've got to ask yourself a question, do my metal bits underline or undermine my business? A tricky hurdle to test your 'principles' perhaps but ultimately there will be more.

Good luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I intend to have a detailed and realistic business plan and solid and realsitic financial projections. I'm hopin that'll be what he / she'll be lookin for (that an my own investment of course). Most of my piercings can be taken out relatively easily. I've my lobes stretched (not excessively) so they'll be stayin in.

For the area of business I'm going into piercings wouldn't be a problem. The people I'd be dealing with as customers would be into that "scene" and would for the most part be open minded so wouldnt bat an eyelid at it. I wouldnt expect to get a loan for a restaurant or a creche as I currently look, so I'm not naive in that respect. I guess I'm more so wondering how open minded some of todays bank managers are as regards how people look.

Obviously I intend to wear a suit in order to wh*re myself to "the man" :)

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Diceicle wrote:

Nice one , the Sharon Stone approach, never fails!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Diceicle wrote:
    I intend to have a detailed and realistic business plan and solid and realsitic financial projections. I'm hopin that'll be what he / she'll be lookin for (that an my own investment of course). Most of my piercings can be taken out relatively easily. I've my lobes stretched (not excessively) so they'll be stayin in.

For the area of business I'm going into piercings wouldn't be a problem. The people I'd be dealing with as customers would be into that "scene" and would for the most part be open minded so wouldnt bat an eyelid at it. I wouldnt expect to get a loan for a restaurant or a creche as I currently look, so I'm not naive in that respect. I guess I'm more so wondering how open minded some of todays bank managers are as regards how people look.

This is a tricky question. Of course in every business you will have people who are old fashioned and others who would do anything to get the business. And so it all depends who you meet on the day. Mind you, as long as you have a business plan that stands up to scrutiny you should be fine. You would be suprised how many people come into banks with not even a business plan. Its shocking actually. It would be bad form to refuse someone based on their appearence (up to a certain point of course - if you came in drunk that would be a different story).

• Advertisement
Advertisement