Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Italian blokes rarely suit the Premiership anyway...as will probably be the case with Rossi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It depends, Rossi reminds me of a certain young Italian who set the world alight at Chelsea. It depends on the type of player, and to be honest, I think Rossi has grown up enough in English football to know whats expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hehe, I was just trying to irk someone! Oh yeah definitely on the type of player, but I wouldn't jump on any bandwagon as of yet until he'sactually played a bit in the Premiership...he had a fairly horrid time up north, his game could be more suited to the lazier style of Serie A as opposed to the swashbuckling gung-ho Premiership...but then again, it was Newcastle and he ddin't really get a good run...regardless it should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ferguson was fairly pissed at Newcastle for the way they treated Rossi and had every right to be. As soon as they got him on loan, they went out and signed another striker so its not his fault that he didnt prove himself at Newcastle.

dor83 wrote:
    No, I'm an Inter fan and have been watching him for years, he's one of the best players in the world when he is happy, he's just not happy with Mancini at Inter(I dont like Mancini either). He took Verons side when he was having a go at Adriano and was having personal problems at the time and got no support from Mancini. Veron even had to be physicaly restrained by other players after the CL exit to Villareal in 2006. The reason I think so much of Adriano would be obvious to anybody who has seen him play, he works very hard on the pitch, the TV cameras dont show how hard he works off the ball.

So you go and see all these games at the San Siro then in person, since the tv cameras dont show how hard he works off the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yes I do go to the San Siro as often as I can, not enough though, I'd be happy if I get to between 6 and 8 games next season. It is'nt as expensive as youd think, season tickets are a lot cheaper in Italy, as little as €145 for Inter and works out cheaper than going to Utd games.

On topic again, Quagliarella is highly rated over there especialy by Samp fans but I havent seen much of him myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Worryingly, the Quag has said "I would gladly join the Premier League. It is a fascinating and beautiful competition" *

What will he do when he realizes there are more teams than us and arsenal in the premiership. :D

* http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2106448,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

PHB wrote:
    I could live with pretty much anybody as second choice for leading the line rather than Smith

I would prefer Manu to start the season without Loui Saha, waste of space, money and effort to try get him fit. Even when he is fit, he wont play? I would much rather we started with smith up front. His all round play is better then saha, he holds the ball up better. The only difference is Saha has paste and smth doesnt. SAHA is RUBBISH!! I haven't seeing Fabio enough to comment, but i think they would be better to take a chance on Anelka and give Rossi a chance, even though i dont think he is good enough for the premiership, his style suits Itallian football.

I've already said that Pique isnt good enough to get pass are current center halfs and Evans i think is ahead of him. I think we would be better of selling him if the reported offer of £6,000,000 is true.
    We have replaced Keane after two years, we have also replaced the much finished Giggs, which should have being done 2yrs ago. The man will go down as a legend, but is play is to slopy, gives the ball to cheaply. Paul Scholes will be replaced next season, even tho there is some talk the Anderson was brought in for that reason.

dor83 wrote:
    Yes I do go to the San Siro as often as I can, not enough though, I'd be happy if I get to between 6 and 8 games next season. It is'nt as expensive as youd think, season tickets are a lot cheaper in Italy, as little as €145 for Inter and works out cheaper than going to Utd games.

On topic again, Quagliarella is highly rated over there especialy by Samp fans but I havent seen much of him myself.

In that case, I humbly withdraw what I said earlier, your observations are well noted so sorry for that. From what I have seen of him, and heard, I still dont think he would fit in at Old Trafford but am willing to be proved wrong!

Even when he is fit, he wont play?

Well considering he has had to have surgery it would suggest that he wasn't actually fit. It's not unlike United to **** up deal with somebodies injury, trying to rush them back before they are ready.
    His all round play is better then saha, he holds the ball up better. The only difference is Saha has paste and smth doesnt.

I really don't think that's true. Saha has much better all round play. Just look at the stats in the premiership:

In six starts and three sub appearances Smith got one assist.
    Compared to Saha, who in 18 starts and 6 sub appearnces, got 5.

I really think Smith is terrible at holding up the ball. He's good at leading the line in the sense of putting pressure on defences, but in terms of leading the line in bringing in other people, he isn't anywhere near as good.
    Want one simple piece of proof? Our best football was almost always played with Saha on the pitch, bar the match against Roma. Saha and Rooney work great together, which is why we pulled away at the start of the league in the first place.

Their goal scoring record, not only last year, but over their careers, is uncomparable.

Anderson is clearly Scholes' replacement.

Giggs was great at the start of the season, his game slipped once he had to play week in week out. Next season he will be able to be rested, will be competing for places, and will be looking for a new contract, all of these things will allow us to see the Giggs of old.

---

Adriano would be a good buy imo. I'd be surprised if we get Quag ahead of the other Italian clubs, simply because if you had the choice as an Italian, you'd nearly always pick a big Italian club over a big English club, as you want to play for your country.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Well considering he has had to have surgery it would suggest that he wasn't actually fit. It's not unlike United to **** up deal with somebodies injury, trying to rush them back before they are ready.

I really don't think that's true. Saha has much better all round play. Just look at the stats in the premiership:

The best performance of the season was against Roma at home, SAF said the probably the best since he has been incharged. I'm sorry SAHA is brutal, always runs with his head down, useless at closing down defenders, always has a moan to himself when things go wrong. He was fit a while ago and refused to play and was left out of the Squad. I expect him to leave this summer if not it will be January. I agree Smith might not be good enough for starting eleven, but he's a much better option then Saha.
    PHB wrote:
    Adriano would be a good buy imo. I'd be surprised if we get Quag ahead of the other Italian clubs, simply because if you had the choice as an Italian, you'd nearly always pick a big Italian club over a big English club, as you want to play for your country.

I think Adriano would be a bad, he has had some serious problems at Inter and has not played well in last 2yrs. I would think it would be a BIG gamble that would fail. I agree that Quag, may join an italian team before Manu, but Juventus have just bought Iaquinta, AC have bought David Suazo's, so that leaves Inter and Roma as the next to, so i would not be suprised, but it would make more sense to give Rossi a chance, they are both at a similar age and experience etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

he's a much better option then Saha

This is really just a back-and-forth at this stage, but I don't see how you can rate Smith as better than Saha. He scored one goal last season, in an absolute drubbing of Roma. He didn't score any in the Premiership, in 9 appearances. This is the striker that's supposed to be leading the line, to be getting on the end of things? He got one the season before. In just twice as many appearances, Saha got eight goals and four times as many assists.

I love Alan Smith as a player, but you just have to look at the way the team player with him in it versus the way they played with Smith to realise who's the better player - it's Saha by a long way, no matter how much of a dickhead he might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This is really just a back-and-forth at this stage, but I don't see how you can rate Smith as better than Saha. He scored one goal last season, in an absolute drubbing of Roma. He didn't score any in the Premiership, in 9 appearances. This is the striker that's supposed to be leading the line, to be getting on the end of things? He got one the season before. In just twice as many appearances, Saha got eight goals and four times as many assists.

I love Alan Smith as a player, but you just have to look at the way the team player with him in it versus the way they played with Smith to realise who's the better player - it's Saha by a long way, no matter how much of a dickhead he might be.
    as a lead the line striker, i want them to be bringing the runners and midfielders in to the game, which Smith does better then Saha unless Saha is 100% match fit. If Saha is not at 100% he has the first touch of a wall, and lets his head drp too easily.

I'd take a fully fit Saha over Smith any day, but you only get a fully fit Saha for, if you are lucky, half a season.

As for commenting on Smiths goals from the season before the one just gone. Stick Saha in the defensive midfield role, and see how he gets on.

As for commenting on Smiths goals from the season before the one just gone. Stick Saha in the defensive midfield role, and see how he gets on.

But Smith played those games up front. Look, Smith has been very very unlucky in his United career, with a huge injury and an attempted position change, but ultimately, he just doesn't cut it. When Saha is fit a much better hold upplaye, and you yourself have noted. If we get him for half the season, we will play better overall than we would with Smith for the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Saha is a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

cheesedude wrote:
    He's not top quality though, he's better than Smith alright. Criticism of Smith is a bit harsh, he's usually involved in the goals when he plays. The Roma and Watford FA Cup semis spring to mind. But is he good for United, Im not sure about that....

PHB wrote:
    But Smith played those games up front. Look, Smith has been very very unlucky in his United career, with a huge injury and an attempted position change, but ultimately, he just doesn't cut it. When Saha is fit a much better hold upplaye, and you yourself have noted. If we get him for half the season, we will play better overall than we would with Smith for the whole season.
    What? Smith played those games in midfield, what games are you on about?

Saha isn't fit enough of the time.

If we were to sell either, and replace them - it would have to be Saha for me. On more money, and we'd get more for him too. If we sign a striker it will be someone like Saha in style, not Smith. If it was a choice between selling either and not getting in a replacement, i would sell smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Saha has pace. Thats it imo. His passing is awful, his head is always down. loses the ball alot and is not a natural finisher. So many times Ive seen him clean through on goal and miss. He has a tendancy to just blast the ball, sometimes it works, others it doesnt.

Im happy to have him at United but I think we need a better option up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

wit this talk of adriano wot do people think he wud cost if he was up for sale at 12 - 14m i think he wud be worth the gamble.if saf cud sort his attitude out get him fit and enjoying his football i think he wud be a great buy.

• Advertisement

Saha has pace. Thats it imo. His passing is awful, his head is always down. loses the ball alot and is not a natural finisher. So many times Ive seen him clean through on goal and miss. He has a tendancy to just blast the ball, sometimes it works, others it doesnt.

Im happy to have him at United but I think we need a better option up front.

Ridiculous post. Saha won us many games at the start of the season before his injury. He's a great player - the only valid reason for letting him go is that its just not smart to rely on a striker that spends more than half the season in the treatment room.

cheesedude wrote:

haha :D:D, not in this life time.

Wtf are you posting stupid inane comments like that for? Saha was our best striker last season, he carried us a lot at the start of the season and scored some amazing goals. Whats your reasoning for saying hes not quality?

Archimedes wrote:
    Wtf are you posting stupid inane comments like that for? Saha was our best striker last season, he carried us a lot at the start of the season and scored some amazing goals. Whats your reasoning for saying hes not quality?

Simple, he's not quality, never has been and never will be. Where was start of october? oh yeh injured yet again. I do remember we still won the league, got to the semi-final of champions league and FA cup final without him. When he is fit, he runs with his head down, passing is slopy and poor, personally not good enough and the quicker we sell him the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Archimedes wrote:

Im not arguing with you, we are both entitled to our opinion. But I fully believe that Saha is not a top quality finisher. His pace has helped us immensely last season, he did contribute to our season last year but I think we need a better striker.

I think Saha when fit is a great player. Although my opinion is being seriously altered the more I come on to the soccer forum because everyone seems to hate Saha and Smith...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

saha started the season very well and I'd love to go back and see some of the comments people were making then about him. He's a quality finisher and although he does lack vision at times his holdup play can't be faulted. His injuries have ruined his image with a lot of people, unfairly. His ability hasn't changed, he just can't be relied on to lead the line for a full season and for that reason united need depth in the sqaud up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

sprinkles wrote:
    His injuries have ruined his image with a lot of people, unfairly. .

Why unfairly? Did he not refuse to play when deemed fit by the club physios, when he was really needed due to genuine injuries? If that's true he has no future at United and will be sold as soon as they find a buyer. I,m not doubting his quality but ther are serious questionmarks over his commitment. I'd sell him.

Why unfairly? Did he not refuse to play when deemed fit by the club physios, when he was really needed due to genuine injuries?

Well considering how he needed surgery after the season ended perhaps he was right after all? It's not unusual for the United physios to be totally wrong after all

PHB wrote:
    Well considering how he needed surgery after the season ended perhaps he was right after all? It's not unusual for the United physios to be totally wrong after all
    whether he was injured are not, i don't particularly care either way - i'm just fed up with him not being available when we need him. Unlucky for him that he gets these injuries; but its beyond a joke at this point - he is replacable, and should be replaced imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Rossi was sent off for the Italian U21's tonight. Very harsh sending off too.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:

I think your pulling at strings there, everyone knew he wasng fit. Why was he left out the Manu squad altogether for the FA Cup final? The players stayed the night and he joined up in the morning just before the coach left. The end of the day he's not a lead striker never has been and never will be. I do think Rossi will get a chance next season and i hope he does, it has a fantastic record, but SAF wont go into next season depending on Rossi been are leading striker, we need someone proven and a BIG name as well. I dont think Manu will be splashing out £20,000,000 on a striker, maybe next season.

Alan Smith is off to Newcastle, according to the Mirror (for a measly 3.5million too....)

If that is true, our current striker line up for next season is:

Rooney, Saha, Rossi, Ole.

Based on that, I have to assume we'll be after a striker, as Saha is likely to miss half the season, Rossi shouldn't be relied upon to carry us through, and Ole (despite how much i love the guy) is past it.

I'm gonna pin my hopes on either Eto'o or Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

SAF would be off his rocker to rely on Saha & Ole for next season. Both have just had surgery and have had terrible injury records for past number of seasons.

We all know Rooney plays his best just off the front man, and it would be unfair on Rossi to rely on him as the main man, considering it would be his first full season on first team.

I hope / wish SAF will be spending 10m-20m on a proven leading striker before start of the coming season.

I'm also working on the assumption Alan Smith is on his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Tauren wrote:
    I'm gonna pin my hopes on either Eto'o or Villa.

I wouldn't pin anything on Eto'o moving to United, i'd imagine he'll be at Milan next year! As for Villa....might happen!

Steve_o wrote:
    I wouldn't pin anything on Eto'o moving to United, i'd imagine he'll be at Milan next year! As for Villa....might happen!
    i'll pin whatever i want, where ever i want! You don't own me! You don't know my life! THIS HOUSE HAS A GREEN DOOR!

ha :) I'd be surprised if we got Eto, don't forget how much money we've already spent this year :)
    I don't know who it's going to be, but I think our striker will cost less than 15 million, and I think that will mostly be funded by the sale of Smith(whose future seems to have already been decided), Brown(who I think Fergie is waiting on to see what Heinze does), and Heinze (who is going to decide his future after the Copa America)

I think it'll be somebody like Anelka, or McCarthy, or someone of that ilk. It might be somebody we've all never heard of, but I can defo see it being somebody from the Dutch league. Either way, I'd be surprised if it's a big name striker, but then again, United surprised everyone this summer :)

I'm secretly hoping what is happening is United want one of the following strikers:

Eto
    Villa
    Torres
    Berbatov
    Tevez

I think from that list, United are trying to get the one they can get the cheapest to be honest :)

But that is just hopeful really, but ya never know :) I think we'll see, but personally I think the Quagetc interest might not be real, and might be more on the players side than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Tauren wrote:
    i'll pin whatever i want, where ever i want! You don't own me! You don't know my life! THIS HOUSE HAS A GREEN DOOR!

lol:D Put me in my place!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think the deal for Berbatov will go through if spurs get Bent, why else would they be looking to pay 14 - 16 million on bent when they already have a great strike force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really can't see us signing an expensive big name striker, will be £12m at the most i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Newcastles Obafemi Martins supposidly has a £13 million release clause . He wouldnt be a bad option imo. Strong, quick, fantastic shot, acclimatised to the premiership. Maybe a swap deal with Smith?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I dont think Oba is what we need, he is a quality player and probably the fastest player I have ever seen but he's not what Utd need IMO. Utd need a 20 goal a season striker and for me, as good as Oba is, he just wont be that player.

With Henry moving, the Eto situation will become very clear very quickly, which means the entire market will move a lot in the coming couple of days I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

On the news today I heard Heinze was off to Real Madrid for just under €8million. Also heard Torres is off to Liverpool for £40million. Heard both on the news on the radio.

Yeh, Heinze seems set to leave, but I remember him saying he won't do it till after the Copa America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

It'll be a big loss losing Heinze. Apart from the season just gone he's been a great player for United. Were gonna loose the strength in depth. It's been a long time since united have had strength in depth at the back. Silvestre should go before Heinze. No where near as good a left back as Heinze imo.

PHB wrote:
    With Henry moving, the Eto situation will become very clear very quickly, which means the entire market will move a lot in the coming couple of days I think.

I was thinking the same myself PHB. I wonder if the transfer of Henry at £16,000,000 will have any effect on the tranfer market will the these stupid prices? I think its a cheap deal for Barca, but maybe Arsenal had no choice in the matter and there hand was forced to accept.

I personally think that it will be Ronaldinho who leaves Barca and not Eto'o. If Eto's was to leave though, I would imagine Manu, Liverpool and AC Milan would be the only teams with the cash to buy Eto'e. If Eto's goes to say liverpool, then we would battle it out with liverpool for Torres. I dont think Arsenal are in with a shout to buy Eto'o because surley they would have looked at a possible swap or cash deal between Henry or Eto'o? Thats what makes me think Ronaldinho will leave, Barca already have Messi who is going to be there main player in next 2yrs.

they signed Henry to keep Eto'o happy. He has been wanting Henry for years. And Guillem Ballague said on Sky Sports news that Eto'o let it slip the other day that Henry was coming and how he could hardly contain his excitement. There real good mates.

cheesedude wrote:
    they signed Henry to keep Eto'o happy. He has been wanting Henry for years. And Guillem Ballague said on Sky Sports news that Eto'o let it slip the other day that Henry was coming and how he could hardly contain his excitement. There real good mates.

I honestly can't see Barca keeping Ronaldinho now if Henry signing. This means that Gudjohsen will be sold, just hope not to Manu.

I wonder if Henry decideing to leave will have an effect on wenger future, Maybe wenger already told him his plans and he decided to let him leave now before he goes himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gudjohnsen isnt a bad player, I think he'd fit in at United and wouldnt be overpriced either. Considering we dont have a bulging bag of gold coins to spend I'd settle for him.

• Advertisement

I don't really want Gudjohnson the more I think about it, he's just not what we need. I'd much rather Owen or Anelka if we are in the bargin basement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement