Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd rather not spend and buy a world class striker next summer if there even is one around and available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

daveg wrote:
    Also heard Torres is off to Liverpool for £40million. Heard both on the news on the radio.

If thats true, it'd be €40mill, not pounds, its what his release clause was brought down to in his last contract. Bout 27mill pounds i think i remember seeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Manchester United's Kieran Richardson has admitted for the first time that he may have to leave Old Trafford if he is to secure first-team football.

England midfielder Richardson has consistently been connected with a move away from the Premiership champions after failing to hold down a regular place in the United side last season.

The 22-year-old has most recently been reportedly linked with a move to team up with former United skipper, and current Sunderland manager, Roy Keane at the Stadium of Light.

However Richardson has said he will fight for his place in the United team, but has not ruled out a move elsewhere.

"If you're getting older and not playing on a regular basis, you do have to think about moving on," he told the News of The World.

"I've already said I want to carry on being a United player.

"I don't know about going out on loan because I've done that already."

Meanwhile, midfielder Marouane Fellaini has ruled out a move to Old Trafford by signing a new contract with Standard Liege.

According to Roger Henrotay, the Belgian Under 21 star's agent, Fellaini snubbed a possible move to England because of his desire for first-team football.

"United phoned us yet again urging Marouane not to sign for Standard," Henrotay told the News of The World.

"But we did not obey them.

"The lad is young and he will get better still, but only if he plays first-team football.

"He'd have earned a lot more money had he gone to Old Trafford but he wouldn't have played."

What great news, maybe someone might make an offer now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Smith off to Boro for £6m !

Couple that with Richardson's departure (Please God let it happen) and we will have £9-10m in the bank....hopefully ready to spend on Quagirella :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sizzler wrote:
    Smith off to Boro for £6m !

Couple that with Richardson's departure (Please God let it happen) and we will have £9-10m in the bank....hopefully ready to spend on Quagirella :D
    why spend 10million on Quagirella, when we have Rossi (younger, with a better goalscoring record in Italy) already on the books. Would be a waste of money imo. From what i have seen of Quagirella, he is too similar to Rooney and Rossi (would be best playing off a lead man) to bother with - if we sign a striker, it should be a striker that will lead the line.

• Advertisement

Crouch ? PMSL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tauren wrote:
    why spend 10million on Quagirella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaqzE6VUUA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've seen it, magical goals, reminds me of a less talented Le Tisser, which is an incredible compliment. I'd be surprised if Quag wanted to leave Italy, it'd be a pretty bad career move for him to be honest. I also think Rossi is a better option.

Trilla wrote:
    So he is a scorer of great goals; but, imo, we should be going for a great goal scorer.

Rossi hit just 4 less goals, in something like 16 less games, for a team battling relegation. Rossi is also a scorer of some peachey looking goals.

I just don't see the point in spending 10million+ on a striker, regardless of how pretty his goals are, when we have one on the books already who is just as likely to bang them in for us in Rossi, and who would probably prefer to playin a similar role (off a lead striker) to one of the biggest and best players already int he squad.

We should be looking at the likes of Huntelaar, Eto'o, Villa; that type of striker, the fox in the box, someone to get on to the end of the pretty play from the likes of Ronaldo, Scholes, Nani, Anderson, Rooney and Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:
    I've seen it, magical goals, reminds me of a less talented Le Tisser, which is an incredible compliment. I'd be surprised if Quag wanted to leave Italy, it'd be a pretty bad career move for him to be honest. I also think Rossi is a better option.
    He's already come out and said he would leave for a big club like united but his preference was to stay. Sounds like he's just keeping the fans on his side in case the move doesn't happen but at the same time signalling his willingness to move.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

PHB wrote:
    I've seen it, magical goals, reminds me of a less talented Le Tisser

Have you seen a full game he's played? because that statement makes absolutly no sense.

His playing style is nothing like Le Tisser, he is a high tempo ball carrying, ball winning forward, much like Tevez or messi, absolutly nothing like le tis, the ony thing he does have in common with le god is he has a great first touch and a habbit of knocking in volleys from 20 yards.

Seaneh wrote:
    absolutly nothing like le tis

really?
    Seaneh wrote:
    the ony thing he does have in common with le god is he has a great first touch and a habbit of knocking in volleys from 20 yards.

That was exactly the two big assists that Le Tissier had, his dribbling his other super skill in his locker.

I think there is a good bit of him in Quagirella , but he's less flamboyant and more mobile than Le Tis.

Tauren wrote:
    We should be looking at the likes of Huntelaar, Eto'o, Villa; that type of striker, the fox in the box, someone to get on to the end of the pretty play from the likes of Ronaldo, Scholes, Nani, Anderson, Rooney and Giggs.

This was the last player to be tagged with the "fox in the box" title..

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/44/jeffers_francis_brfc_profile_2006.jpg

:o

I think I'd rather take a chance with the Quag lad ;)

PHB wrote:
    I've seen it, magical goals, reminds me of a less talented Le Tisser, which is an incredible compliment.

coming from you i wouldnt class it as a compliment :rolleyes: Your an average joe like the rest of us here with probably to left feet.

I do think we would be better off keeping Rossi and giving him a chance then wasing £10,000,000 on a similar player who is slightly older. I think if we sold Smith for £6,000,000 and Richardson for £4,000,000 ;) Heinze £6,000,000 ( he wants to leave ) and finally Saha for £8,000,000, giving a grand total of £24,000,000. SAF could then go and splash £27,000,000 on Torres or Eto'o.

Sizzler wrote:
    This was the last player to be tagged with the "fox in the box" title..

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/44/jeffers_francis_brfc_profile_2006.jpg

:o

I think I'd rather take a chance with the Quag lad ;)
    I know - i use the 'fox in the box' tag with a bit of tongue in cheek. Still don't think we should go for Quagmire (giggidy) or Gudjohnson; a point man is type of player we should be going for.

Parma have made a bid for Rossi according to Skysports

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=473783&CPID=21&clid=131&lid=3&title=Parma+wait+on+Rossi+answer&channel=&

Interesting to see if manu accept it?

Would you people get a grip on reality? Eto'o is not moving and will not move. His dream was to play with Henry and guess what? That happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Trilla wrote:

wow some great goals there... but I think van huntelaar should be utd's no.1 target:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN8jbtyKUzE

2004 - 2006 SC Hereenven 46 apps 34 goals
    2006 - 2007 Ajax 48 apps 37 goals

says it all really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I love the way ppl are experts now on all these european players and shoot them down the minute someone else suggests them, even though they more than likely never saw them play a full match.

Wonder will Rossi still be this brilliant young player if Parma sign him....

If they sell smith, i think they should definitely take the risk on Huntelaar or Quagmire as if Rooney gets injured there fecked and Ronaldo cant being expected to get as many goals every season.

woooo232 wrote:
    van huntelaar
    hehe really lookin for that exact copy of van nist eh? Dont think he'd be up for changin his name to add the Van though.

Damn good player all the same, no idea why Liverpool dont seem to have been linked with him yet, since been linked with every other top striker. Dare i say i think i might even prefer Klaas Jan to Torres..

• Advertisement

and an awful lot cheaper

thought he was on his way to Juventus last week, Ferguson usually acts fast when buying from Holland so he mustnt be interested atm. Martin Ferguson was watching him though the season gone by.

and an awful lot cheaper

thought he was on his way to Juventus last week,

thought the same myself, but Juve have just signed Iaquinta and given Trezeguet a new 4 year contract so id say maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

~Rebel~ wrote:

Damn good player all the same, no idea why Liverpool dont seem to have been linked with him yet, since been linked with every other top striker. Dare i say i think i might even prefer Klaas Jan to Torres..

Maybe Liverpool are not interested because he no speako the lingo. ;)

So...Smith told Southgate to sod off ! Would have been good business at £6.5m ! I'm sure some other team will try their luck now...I think he might end up at Everton :eek:

Cant be shocked at the news today either that Gudjohnsen is the prime target for £8m as hes never gonna get a game at Barca with some french lad after signing!

Rossi being sold to Parma for £5m anybody? Does that mean we can PLEASE buy the Quag lad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

ANELKA + OWEN
    I think if we have 8-10million to spare we should try and get Anelka. Owen may be good but maybe with that serious injury hes lost a bit of pace. Anelka seems to have put his bad days behind him.

TORRES
    Going for him would be a gamble of 20-odd million. I just think he would find it very hard to settle and would not be as effective in the english league.

HUNTELAAR
    Huntellaar is young and still learning, I think in a couple of years he'd be a good buy but I reckon Arsenal will buy him with the Henry money this summer.

ETO'O+GUDJONSEN
    Eto'o would be a great buy but I dont think the cash is there after hargreaves, anderson, nani etc. Gudjonsen would be a good buy in the short ter (he's over 30 isnt he?). would get a few goals. AF is favouring younger players it seems.

TREZEGUET+BENT+BERBATOV
    Trezegeut has just extended his contract with Juve. Darren Bent isn't good enough for utd, but if he goes to Spurs then anything under 16million for berbatov would be a great deal.

QUAGLIRELLA
    The quagliarella dude seems good but as some people have said before, he doesnt seem to be a poacher, more of a flair player who would spend a lot of his time outside the box. Not what we need IMO.

MARTINS
    Obafemi Martins would be a good buy, his finishing is suspect at times but his pace and strength are great. Anything below 10mill for him.

seansouth wrote:
    That may not be the case though.

All that may have happened is Udinese have claimed full ownership to get the full selling fee, as opposed to just half.

Of course they could decide to keep him, but it would not be too surprising if they cashed in on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"I’ve become a Udinese player and I want to stay here by all means," he said. "I actually can’t wait to present myself to my new team.

Also, in the past few weeks, he has said he wants to STAY IN ITALY.

Now, are there any more deluded people out there?

sure of course he's going to say that about Udinese but if any big club comes whether there in Italy or not and offer him a lot more in wages I dont think he'll be too willing to stay with Udinese. Sure didnt he also say he'd love to play for Man Utd. Its usually the sun making up quotes as usual.

But how many Italians have being a success outside Italy or even played outside Italy. There too happy living there and Manchester would be the last place they'd want to be. I'd say if Utd did want him they would have tried weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

stooge wrote:
    OWEN
    Owen may be good but maybe with that serious injury hes lost a bit of pace. Anelka seems to have put his bad days behind him.

Why the f**k would any real United fan want Owen. Do you not remember what he did to Ronny Jonsen?? That was a real scumbag tackle on a player that never did anything to deserve that. There's no way any United fan should ever want that "individual" in a United shirt!

Never mind the fact that:
    1. he's lost whatever pace he had that made the difference.
    2. That he's a compulsive gambler who has already led Rooney astray once.
    3. That he's injury prone and will spend more time on the bench on his phone to his bookies than actually playing.
    4. That he'd be nothing but a parasite leeching his wages from the club. Better off to leave Newcastle to deal with him.
    Would you honestly trust him to score if he was in on goal in a one on one at Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

okie dokie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea, Rooney needs loads of encouragement to be led astray! lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Why the f**k would any real United fan want Owen. Do you not remember what he did to Ronny Jonsen?? That was a real scumbag tackle on a player that never did anything to deserve that. There's no way any United fan should ever want that "individual" in a United shirt!

3. That he's injury prone and will spend more time on the bench on his phone to his bookies than actually playing.
    4. That he'd be nothing but a parasite leeching his wages from the club. Better off to leave Newcastle to deal with him.
    Would you honestly trust him to score if he was in on goal in a one on one at Anfield?

jesus christ:rolleyes:

stooge wrote:
    ANELKA + OWEN

ETO'O+GUDJONSEN
    Eto'o would be a great buy but I dont think the cash is there after hargreaves, anderson, nani etc. Gudjonsen would be a good buy in the short ter (he's over 30 isnt he?). would get a few goals. AF is favouring younger players it seems.

Jesus Christ, can people just forget ETO?

He is not leaving Barcelona and they don't want to sell him. Bin these thoughts now. Offer 50 mill and u still won't get him. Dream on...

Take a chill pill mate, I was just listing some of the names that had been linked with united and what I thought of them. He'd be a half decent signing and would get a few goals, but I said that I thought Anelka was a better buy....maybe we shouldnt go for Anelka though, sure he played for Arsenal and Bolton and Liverpool, and by your logic he wouldnt be scoring for united against any of these teams....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    Jesus Christ, can people just forget ETO?

He is not leaving Barcelona and they don't want to sell him. Bin these thoughts now. Offer 50 mill and u still won't get him. Dream on...

If we offered 50m I'm pretty confident Barca would do business. however, we dont have that amount of money to spend on one player and his wages would probably be very high. It would be more likely Barca sell Gudjonsen as he hasnt done the business for them.

Eto'o will defo not leave now that Henry was signed...defo defo not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Etoo has wanted Henry there for ages, don't see Barca selling him at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

brazil playing there first copa america game tonite.should be a good oppurtunity 2 see Anderson he probably wont start but shud get a run out.
    probable team:Helton,Juan Alex, Maicon ,Gilberto,Gilberto Silva, Mineiro, Elano, Diego ,Robinho and Vágner Love.
    would also like 2 get a look at afonso alves think he cud be a player united will have a look at big and strong pretty quick think he wud be a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

stooge wrote:
    Take a chill pill mate, I was just listing some of the names that had been linked with united and what I thought of them. He'd be a half decent signing and would get a few goals, but I said that I thought Anelka was a better buy....maybe we shouldnt go for Anelka though, sure he played for Arsenal and Bolton and Liverpool, and by your logic he wouldnt be scoring for united against any of these teams....:rolleyes:

I wasn't having a dig at you, it was just my tuppenceworth about Owen :rolleyes: . You don't have to agree with it, but that tackle on Ronny Jonsen was totally out of order. You're right about Anelka, I think he'd be great for United and just the type of player they need, whether they get him or not is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

was Anderson playing last night

Yeh, came on at half time, was really quite good imo. Changed the game when he came on for Elano/Diego (whichver, it was a double sub) He faded a little towards the end of the game, but for 30 minutes he looked like a really good player.

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, came on at half time, was really quite good imo. Changed the game when he came on for Elano/Diego (whichver, it was a double sub) He faded a little towards the end of the game, but for 30 minutes he looked like a really good player.
    thats one of the interpretations i am getting, the other is that he was lazy as fook, did no tracking back, made no runs in to space and hardly broke out of a trot for the time he was on - looked very good when the ball was at his feet, but didn't do much when it wasn't.

I have not seen the match (will watch it tonight) so these are not my personal opinions, just what i have read elsewhere.

Well it's Brazil :)

Another opinion:

Anderson made his full international debut for Brazil last night but was helpless as his side were beaten by Mexico in the Copa America.

Article continues below

Anderson was introduced as a half-time substitute for Elano, and his appearance undoubtedly galvanised the Brazilians' performance.

Trevor Francis was impressed by Anderson's contribution, admitting: "Brazil were better second half, and I think the introduction of Anderson was very positive.

"It's the first time I've really studied him and he looks a very talented player, obviously that's the reason why Sir Alex has taken him. He's got lovely balance and he was the driving force from midfield."

PHB wrote:
    Well it's Brazil :)

Another opinion:
    pah - who's opinion are you going to take though, a person on the internet you have never had any contact with, via me; or Trevor Francis.....

Do i even need to ask the question?

As if you'd listen to Francis....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Tauren wrote:
    looked very good when the ball was at his feet, but didn't do much when it wasn't.

You seem suprised that a Brazilian flair player has these qualities. Thats pretty much what Im expecting from him. Whether the good outweighs the bad we will see.

50 or 60m for 3 duds anyone?

i didn't expect him to be Rooney-esque in his tracking back, but from what i have ehard, the effort he put into getting forward and making himself an attacking option was lacking too, which would surprise me.

However, Brazil have suffered from this over the last few years in general, and i haven't seen enough (youtube only) of him playing for porto to know what his general workrate is like.

Regardless, i imagine he will improve in terms of workrate while playing for United, Fergie won't tolerate it otherwise - for all people say about Ronaldo not tracking back, that area of his game has improved, and he covers more ground then most during a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

You don't have to agree with it, but that tackle on Ronny Jonsen was totally out of order. .

sure roy keane did the same to haaland, yet i doubt you dropped your opinion on him?

you dont want to sign a player as he once put in a bad tackle against one of your players?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement