Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote:
    sure roy keane did the same to haaland, yet i doubt you dropped your opinion on him?

you dont want to sign a player as he once put in a bad tackle against one of your players?
    Wouldn't have signed rooney after his horrible lunge on ronaldo in 2002 then either, i presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tauren wrote:
    i didn't expect him to be Rooney-esque in his tracking back, but from what i have ehard, the effort he put into getting forward and making himself an attacking option was lacking too, which would surprise me.
    I wouldn't say that he was lazy in getting forward. What I did notice is that when Brazil were attacking through someone other than Anderson he would sit in the hole outside the box or drift to well beyond the back post rather than just sprint into the box where there's about 5 opposing defenders. I guess someone could perceive it as being lazy but that's not true imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

taped the brazil game just after watching it now.exciting stuff plenty of chances for both sides great free kick for mexicos 2nd.anderson played all 2nd half and looked good played right and left wing and floated about the centre a bit made a big difference 4 about a half hour then faded.some nice touches was impressed wit him .didnt track back but then did anyone really expect that of him that part of his game will get plenty of work in trainin at united.for a 19year old makin his debut was impressive

With Inter seemingly out of the running to sign Tevez, anyone else think we might make a move for him?

We were strongly linked with him a few weeks ago, and I can only see West Ham and Arsenal being in the race for him (Liverpool look to have sorted the deal for Torres, so i don't think they'll be going for another striker, and Chelsea already have Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizzaro and Kalou, as well as the young lads Sahar and Sinclair)

He is quite similar in style to Rooney, but i do think Tevez is more comfortable playing as a lead striker then Rooney is. He is a tireless worker too (like Rooney) and can produce a moment of magic to win any match (like Rooney). Ugly sob as well (like Rooney)

Of the strikers that are seemingly available (Owen, Tevez and.....) Tevez is the best around. Any deal would obvioulsy have to see the end of any MSI links though.

On a related topic, there are rumours going around that we are going to offer Smith and 4 million for Owen. On his day, he is still a quality striker - but i just don't have the confidence that he'd be in the treatment room any less then Saha is, and doesn't offer the strength and aerial ability that Saha does when fit. Just not sure i'd be happy with signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

was Anderson playing last night

He mightnt be playing for Utd this season :eek: First application for a work permit was blanked (expected I suppose!) but theres no justification for him to get one as he fails all the criteria apparently!

PS Linked with Owen again today using Smith as bait.

Sizzler wrote:
    He mightnt be playing for Utd this season :eek: First application for a work permit was blanked (expected I suppose!) but theres no justification for him to get one as he fails all the criteria apparently!

PS Linked with Owen again today using Smith as bait.
    We knew that was going to happen though, not a surprise at all. Hopefully he gets it on appeal - crapier players have managed it before. I do hope we keep a deal in place for him even if the appeal is unsuccesful though - he'd stand a great chance of getting a permit next season, and he'll still be just as promising. I'd hate to see us pull out of the deal completely and lose him to someone like Real or Barcelona. Another season at Porto wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, he is only 19 and could still learn a lot there, and would be getting CL experience too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

but theres no justification for him to get one as he fails all the criteria apparently!

There is the same justification for getting him in on appeal as there was for Mikel or Kalou. The kid is clearly an exceptional talent, and I'm pretty sure he is going to get the permit on appeal. He was never going to get in on the first round, ever, that's only for full internationals. This was always going to appeal, and the papers are just filling the inches.

Tevez is an interesting one. I'm hopeful we get him but I can't see how we could afford him. Then again, nobody seems able to afford him, in which case, I really hope we get him on the previously suggested one year loan with the option of 30 million at the end.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_2457010,00.html

Manchester United have been boosted by the news £18million Brazilian midfielder Anderson has been granted a work permit

The club initially had an application for a permit knocked back for the 19-year-old on the grounds Anderson does not have enough international caps but United on Friday won an appeal against that decision.

It means the attacking midfielder, who signed from Portuguese side FC Porto last month, will be part of the United squad for next season.

The club said in a statement: "Manchester United is pleased to confirm that the club has been successful in its application for a work permit for Anderson."

United's representatives attended a Home Office panel of experts on Thursday where they argued that due to his exceptional talent he should be granted a work permit and that only his youth had prevented him from obtaining the requisite number of international caps.

Indeed, Anderson only made his full international debut for Brazil in the early hours of Thursday morning in the Copa America match against Mexico.

Anderson said earlier this week: "To join Manchester United at 19 is incredible.

"Everything will be different in England - I know that - but I am certain I will adjust quickly to life in England.

"I am proud - and my family is also. For me, everything is new, it's a dream come true."

Well, thats out of the way now. GO SORT OUT A WORLD CLASS STRIKER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tauren wrote:
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_2457010,00.html

Manchester United have been boosted by the news £18million Brazilian midfielder Anderson has been granted a work permit

The club initially had an application for a permit knocked back for the 19-year-old on the grounds Anderson does not have enough international caps but United on Friday won an appeal against that decision.

It means the attacking midfielder, who signed from Portuguese side FC Porto last month, will be part of the United squad for next season.

The club said in a statement: "Manchester United is pleased to confirm that the club has been successful in its application for a work permit for Anderson."

United's representatives attended a Home Office panel of experts on Thursday where they argued that due to his exceptional talent he should be granted a work permit and that only his youth had prevented him from obtaining the requisite number of international caps.

Indeed, Anderson only made his full international debut for Brazil in the early hours of Thursday morning in the Copa America match against Mexico.

Anderson said earlier this week: "To join Manchester United at 19 is incredible.

"Everything will be different in England - I know that - but I am certain I will adjust quickly to life in England.

"I am proud - and my family is also. For me, everything is new, it's a dream come true."

Well, thats out of the way now. GO SORT OUT A WORLD CLASS STRIKER!
    great to hear

im looking very foward to seeing him play at utd

the boy i believe will make it at utd

he has very good upper body strenght and very good close control

Paul scholes will be a very good influence on him

• Advertisement

the boy i believe will make it at utd
    Hahaha!! U sound like Fergie with your "the boy"!!! Remember Fergie talking about Scholes this season and calling him "the boy" even though he's in his 30's!!

PHB wrote:
    There is the same justification for getting him in on appeal as there was for Mikel or Kalou. The kid is clearly an exceptional talent, and I'm pretty sure he is going to get the permit on appeal. He was never going to get in on the first round, ever, that's only for full internationals. This was always going to appeal, and the papers are just filling the inches.

Turned out that way :D

But just because he has talent doesnt mean he should get a UK permit ! There could be exceptional doctors in Nepal but doesnt mean the UK home office is going to let them into the country to work!

The pros and cons of work permit regulations I could debate with you for years, suffice to say, what's done is done, and Anderson is playing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What do people think of signing Martins? He had a good season with a crap Newcastle team, he's strong, he's fast (our attack is all about pace) and he can finish. He'd be cheaper than Tevez as well (if that 13million clause is true).

Average-Ro wrote:
    What do people think of signing Martins? He had a good season with a crap Newcastle team, he's strong, he's fast (our attack is all about pace) and he can finish. He'd be cheaper than Tevez as well (if that 13million clause is true).
    The very fact nobody seems to know what age he is says it all :eek:

The papers today were saying he was 22 but when Newcastle signed him he was 23 and when they were looking to sign him there was speculation he was actually 26 :confused:

He'll be remembered for that thunderbolt against Spurs last season but did fcuk all else of note, for such a class player he had lots of opportunities to make himself shine in a poor team and didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sizzler wrote:

The papers today were saying he was 22 but when Newcastle signed him he was 23 and when they were looking to sign him there was speculation he was actually 26 :confused:

He'll be remembered for that thunderbolt against Spurs last season but did fcuk all else of note, for such a class player he had lots of opportunities to make himself shine in a poor team and didnt.
    He got 17 goals in 46 games. Considering how bad Newcastle were last season and how about 75% of foreign imports struggle to make an impact in their first season in the premiership, I'd say he did pretty well.

I think he'll end up at Arsenal next season though.

• Advertisement

Even 26 is still young. With a full season of premiership action begind him, he can only get better. Plus, he'd be getting quality service from Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick, Anderson, Nani etc.

I really think he's the striker that Man U need. I'd love to see him at the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

papers linking united with defoe i wouldnt let him near the club.not up to the standard and wud probably cost about 10m better off keeping smith imo.smith + 4m for owen wud be a good deal if united dont have much money left and there isnt many strikers about worth buying at the moment that are proven like owen and on the cheap.

But Owen is as injury prone as Saha, if not more so. How much times as he played for Newcastle since he signed? I wouldn't like to see Owen at the club. Great finisher, when he's fit, God knows how often that'll be.

but if we had owen and saha in the squad, we might be able to pick one of them at a time, we could ask them to properly organise their time off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Sizzler wrote:
    I see you're very well informed. The only reason his age was a topic of discussion was because of a clerical error on the Nigerian FA website. Hardly a reliable source at the best of times.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised to see us move for Defoe, don't think he's good enough.

Rumours of Heinze to Liverpool this morning........:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

He better feckin not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Silly Newcastle with their buy out clauses! Martins would be a good buy at the price..much better player than Bent interms of pace and power. I would prefer owen though just to see him score the winner for us at the kop end next season! cant see it happening and if united were gonna go for him I would have reckoned fergie would be keeping the number 10 shirt? unless he plans on having the number 9 free some time soon(Saha)?? Heinz though finished the season as number one left back..maybe it was cause Evra wasnt back to full fitness but he did have a shocker against Everton and wasnt picked for the cup final. Hard to believe these qoutes coming from Heinze..same thing from Ronaldo last summer. His contract is nearly up for renewal.With a good Copa campaign behind him I reckon he could be back to his best come pre season.

TonyD79 wrote:
    Silly Newcastle with their buy out clauses! Martins would be a good buy at the price..much better player than Bent interms of pace and power. I would prefer owen though just to see him score the winner for us at the kop end next season! cant see it happening and if united were gonna go for him I would have reckoned fergie would be keeping the number 10 shirt? unless he plans on having the number 9 free some time soon(Saha)?? Heinz though finished the season as number one left back..maybe it was cause Evra wasnt back to full fitness but he did have a shocker against Everton and wasnt picked for the cup final. Hard to believe these qoutes coming from Heinze..same thing from Ronaldo last summer. His contract is nearly up for renewal.With a good Copa campaign behind him I reckon he could be back to his best come pre season.
    Id rather Rooney wearing the 10 than any of the guys u mentioned

Heinze is wanted by Real Madrid and Juventus, why in the world would he go to Liverpool :)

PHB wrote:
    Heinze is wanted by Real Madrid and Juventus, why in the world would he go to Liverpool :)
    :D:D

In fairness though, Juventus are a newly promoted team and Madrid are a circus club while Liverpool (much as I hate them) were in last seasons CL Final (albeit not in style but thats not the point)....but he's Argentinian so maybe hes dreamt of those clubs for years!!

Yeh, but do you think he thinks they'll be there next season? I doubt it, and he knows they won't be challenging for the league. He'll go to Madrid I think, he's wanted to move to Spain always

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, but do you think he thinks they'll be there next season? I doubt it, and he knows they won't be challenging for the league. He'll go to Madrid I think, he's wanted to move to Spain always
    So theyll move Silvestre back to left back to cover (where hes ever so slighlty less accident prone) and bring on Pique as the new cover for centre back. Id miss Gaby if he left, i think we need a physical left back for certain types of games (like last year against Liverpool when Vidic had to go out there to help Evra out in the air)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

reports suggest that smith, richardson, gabby and pique are on the way out, they seem to suggest that we would raise €30 million euros for the 4 of them....to be honest, id rather if heinze and pique(especially) stayed. seen rumours that we had offers for pique and rossi, from real z and parma, hitting near €15 million for the 2 of them...that would be an unreal return on investment for united, but i would rather keep them and take a gamble on them. with them, evans and foster, even though he is injured atm, our squad is 7 players and 7 good players at that, bigger than last season. its natural to assume that we will still sign another striker and let 3 go. smith, richarson and silvestre would be my 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:

Id say a lot will come down to his lifestyle choice. If himself and his family are settled and wanna stay in England Liverpool suits perfectly as they wouldnt even need to move house, but if they're not bothered about that Id say he'll be off out foreign (as my granny says).

• Advertisement

reports suggest that smith, richardson, gabby and pique are on the way out, they seem to suggest that we would raise €30 million euros for the 4 of them.
    What reports? it should be mandatory to post sources for this kind of speculation. And no, waking up to Today FM reporting anything is not a source!! :D:D

I only ask cos I heard a report (source was Graham Hunter) saying that Fergie had told Pique that he is now the number 3 centre back at OT and that he was staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Id say a lot will come down to his lifestyle choice. If himself and his family are settled and wanna stay in England Liverpool suits perfectly as they wouldnt even need to move house, but if they're not bothered about that Id say he'll be off out foreign (as my granny says).
    why would utd sell a great player like Heinze to their rivals for the league

no chance

He can buy himself out of his contract for about 6 million apparantly so in that case it would be up to him. As i said if his family are settled, it might not be a bad idea for him since they wouldnt need to move house even, if not he'll probably go elsewhere.

In all fairness, do you honastly think that Heinze will go to Liverpool Rebel?

i think exactly what i said. If he were to stay in the Prem and join liverpool it would be because of family reasons, not wanting to unsettle them. And if that wasnt an issue then he would move abroad as first choice.

If he didnt want to move his family liverpool is the logical choice as they're near, they're in the top 4 and they have expressed an interest in him.

I don't think it'll happen but its not outside the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

if Liverpool get cover for CB and Torres, United get a striker and Chelsea keep their players fit its gonna be some season thats all im sayin!

i think exactly what i said. If he were to stay in the Prem and join liverpool it would be because of family reasons, not wanting to unsettle them. And if that wasnt an issue then he would move abroad as first choice.

If he didnt want to move his family liverpool is the logical choice as they're near, they're in the top 4 and they have expressed an interest in him.

I don't think it'll happen but its not outside the realms of possibility.

But like, you're still unsettling them by moving city, it's still the mid-west, but it's a totally different place.
    Furthermore, surely living in Spain would be a lot more easier than living in Liverpool.

Id rather Rooney wearing the 10 than any of the guys u mentioned

Looks like you're getting your wish!

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474486&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=&title=Rooney+to+lay+down+the+Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

That kinda means that fergie wont be going out for a new striker then. That would have been the number left for a striker but hopefully i will be proved wrong

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    But like, you're still unsettling them by moving city, it's still the mid-west, but it's a totally different place.
    Furthermore, surely living in Spain would be a lot more easier than living in Liverpool.

Id think if he moved to pool they'd stay living in the same place, he'd just have a longer commute to work. The train for me this year was just over half an hour from manchester to liverpool. Its not strange for people to drive an hour or 75mins to get to work.

I agree im sure he would much prefer to move, im just saying in the offchance they didn't want to take the kids out of school there or whatever.

Rooney's number change doesn't mean that Fergie won't be going for another striker. He just wanted to keep the legacy of the number 10 alive (like the number 7 jersey. And God help whoever gets the number 11 when Giggs retires!)

Hargreaves has the numer 8 now apparently.

I wonder what number Tevez will get.... ;)

He'll probably got the number 9...;) :D

So it defo looks like we're raising cash now for another striker hopefully:

Smith - Could go up to 10 million if we are lucky, especially with four or five clubs interested in him currently at 6.
    Heinze - 6 million to Real or Juve
    Brown/Pique - Whichever one Fergie keeps, the other will be sold, for around 7 million.
    Richardson - 4 million from Sunderland apparently, but now City and Everton are interested, so we might get 5-6.

Then if it's in order to get Tevez, Fergie might sell Rossi for 6 million to fund the move in the end, something I guess I could live with, although I'd be very disappointed for him not to get his chance, he really deserves it.

7 million for Brown!:eek: Do really think he's worth that much? Either way I'd rather he left than Pique. Pique's one hell of a prospect and I can see him becoming an amazing player in a few years. I'd rather it was with Utd!

• Advertisement

i don't see a bidding war opening up for any of the players, cause they are not players we want to keep. i reckon smith will go for around 6, to whoever offers him the best deal - same with Heinze. Rich will go for about 4.

I think PHB is being as realistically optimistic as he can here, but tbh I doubt if there will be such a big clear out. Maybe Smith and Heinze could be on the way...
    PHB wrote:
    Smith - Could go up to 10 million if we are lucky, especially with four or five clubs interested in him currently at 6.I dont think smith will go for more than 6m
    Heinze - 6 million to Real or Juve 7 or 8m would be optimistic but 6 is a decent figure
    Brown/Pique - Whichever one Fergie keeps, the other will be sold, for around 7 million.Brown is a very good defender but will always be underestimated in the transfer market
    Richardson - 4 million from Sunderland apparently, but now City and Everton are interested, so we might get 5-6. no way will we get 6m+ for Richardson

cheesedude wrote:
    Who in the name of ****ing god would pay more than 3 million for a mess like Richardson...he is a joke...is PHB on drugs?

well if the the transfer fee reported for Franny Jeffers true (£1.2m) then maybe he's right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tauren wrote:
    but if we had owen and saha in the squad, we might be able to pick one of them at a time, we could ask them to properly organise their time off....

I have no idea why anyone would want united to keep saha, or buy owen

PHB wrote:
    Smith - Could go up to 10 million if we are lucky, especially with four or five clubs interested in him currently at 6.

PMSL !!! You are having a laugh right :o

10 Million euros perhaps and even at that theres not much happening, Boro were told to sod off already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement