Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i reckon ye'll be doing well to get 12 million for Smith, Heinze and Richardson. (presuming Heinze doesn't have long left on his contract?but i'm not sure). Surely if ye wanna afford Tevez, 30 million plus bid, you are gonna have to get rid of more than that?! Or else Glazer is the new Abramovich! that'd bring ye to 80 million plus yea?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i reckon ye'll be doing well to get 12 million for Smith, Heinze and Richardson. (presuming Heinze doesn't have long left on his contract?but i'm not sure). Surely if ye wanna afford Tevez, 30 million plus bid, you are gonna have to get rid of more than that?! Or else Glazer is the new Abramovich! that'd bring ye to 80 million plus yea?!
    Well, according to papers in Spain, Barcelona have said they rejected a £25million bid for Eto'o, after we had signed Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson, so the Glazers must be willing to put the money together for a new striker, assuming that the Eto'o story is true.

As for sales, i would imagine 6 each for Smith and Heinze, 3 for Richardson, then one of Brown/Pique and Rossi might move on too, so you are looking at close to 20million in sales.

Now, for the fun "we have this much money based on what they told us" calculations.....

the glazers promised 25million per season, plus whatever is made in sales, plus a further 25million set aside for a 'superstar' signing. Last season we made a profit of 4 million, so that was 29million added to this seasons 25 (54million total). 50 million spent, plus 20million in sales means we potentially have 24million to work with - plus the 25million set aside.

Whether you chose to belive that or not is up to you, i'd be surprised if we had that kind of cash to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Tauren wrote:

As for sales, i would imagine 6 each for Smith and Heinze, 3 for Richardson, then one of Brown/Pique and Rossi might move on too, so you are looking at close to 20million in sales.

Parma have already offered 6Million for Rossi.

Sposs wrote:
    Parma have already offered 6Million for Rossi.
    and zaragoza have offered 7million for Pique

(personally, i hope neither Pique nor Rossi are sold before they are given a chance at United)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Who in the name of ****ing god would pay more than 3 million for a mess like Richardson...he is a joke...is PHB on drugs?

Well Sunderland already apparently bid 4 million, so let's see. Also with Sven coming to Man City, I can see them overpaying for players, so we might get very lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Awesome, well I hope you are right man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

roar_ie wrote:

when will there be a news conference for Nani & Anderson

Anderson will be after copa america anyway

don't think there will be one - we don't seem to be big in to them. Don't remember one for Carrick last season, or the likes of vander saar, smith and park the season before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I expect SAF to sign a striker for the new season, usually he comes out and if there is speculation about his players, which he has not done so far, but he has been on holidays. I wont be sorry to see the back of Saha and Richardson when they go and also Pique, will be sold i suspect for about £5,000,000. I'd love to see Rossi stay for at least one season and be given a chance, he deserves in my view. I expect us to sign a striker soon, none of the BIG european teams have been linked with Klaas Jan Huntelaar maybe fergie will make a move this week?

I'm gutted that Torres is going to sign for liverpool, what a talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Not many Spanish players have come to the premiership and flourished, wll none spring to mind at the time of writing ! Morientes, CLASS player and looked average at best for Liverpool. Reyes had a decent start and then faded away badly. Will be interesting to see how he does. I think AM got the better end of the deal, considering Henry cost £10m stg less :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

I expect SAF to sign a striker for the new season, usually he comes out and if there is speculation about his players, which he has not done so far, but he has been on holidays. I wont be sorry to see the back of Saha and Richardson when they go and also Pique, will be sold i suspect for about £5,000,000. I'd love to see Rossi stay for at least one season and be given a chance, he deserves in my view. I expect us to sign a striker soon, none of the BIG european teams have been linked with Klaas Jan Huntelaar maybe fergie will make a move this week?

Wow....a load of unique scoops there, first time I've heard anyone mention these possibilities.

Torres is a class player, supposedly the deal has been done for around 21 or 22 million pounds. Athletico just have to say its more so that the Athletico fans don't go mad.
    Even at 26 million, its still good business, getting a player wanted by the majority of the top clubs in Europe (including yourselves!), who is 23 years of age, captain of their club, taking a pay cut to come to the the club supposedly. Also waiving his loyalty bonus he is entitled to. great business all round.

Alonso is Spanish and I don't think many people would argue he is an excellent player (well maybe they would on this thread!)

Torres for 22/27 million - Hargreaves- 17 million, Nani-17.5 and Anderson-18

Cant wait for next season.

Torres is a class player, supposedly the deal has been done for around 21 or 22 million pounds. Athletico just have to say its more so that the Athletico fans don't go mad.
    Even at 26 million, its still good business, getting a player wanted by the majority of the top clubs in Europe (including yourselves!), who is 23 years of age, captain of their club, taking a pay cut to come to the the club supposedly. Also waiving his loyalty bonus he is entitled to. great business all round.

Alonso is Spanish and I don't think many people would argue he is an excellent player (well maybe they would on this thread!)

Torres for 22/27 million - Hargreaves- 17 million, Nani-17.5 and Anderson-18

Cant wait for next season.
    for similar money, i reckon he will score about the same amount of goals as Rooney.

I think Torres has fantastic ability, but he is not a great goal scorer (just as Rooney isn't) I don't know if Torres will get the goals liverpool need him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Actually no team wants to soley rely on one player scoring all the goals. Liverpool need Torres to allow Kuyt to play further up the field, and goals is not the only indicator a striker should be rated on, Assists / Goals / Teamplay is what Torres will bring to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Torres could be an excellent signing for pool. Most United fans raved about him last summer when he was rumoured to be a target for us. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the premiership if he signs.

Tauren wrote:
    for similar money, i reckon he will score about the same amount of goals as Rooney.

I think Torres has fantastic ability, but he is not a great goal scorer (just as Rooney isn't) I don't know if Torres will get the goals liverpool need him too.
    Torres has ability

but i can't see him scoring 20-25 goals a season

its not a bad thing that united didnt go for him
    not a good finisher

Torres has ability

but i can't see him scoring 20-25 goals a season

its not a bad thing that united didnt go for him
    not a good finisher
    yeah, what i said!:D :p

Tauren wrote:
    yeah, what i said!:D :p
    i added 20-25 goals bit :D

• Advertisement

Tauren: by your own admission, probably get the same amount of goals as Rooney in the long run, while also freeing up Kuyt to get more goals. can only be a good thing. Baffled how you think it could be anything other than that!

Because he turned you down last year, does not make him a poor acquisition this year.

Because he turned you down last year, does not make him a poor acquisition this year.
    I have not siad that though - I am merely saying i don't see him scoring a bucket more goals then Crouch did last season, and we know Crouch can play in the prem.

I think he will be a good signing, but i don't think he is the player that will close the 20+ point gap that has existed over the last couple of seasons. I don't think Kuyt will be dramatically improved either, but then again i don't rate the guy so i wouldn't.

I actually belive that if you stuck with bellamy and crouch, and spent about 10million on Yakubu or Defoe, and put the rest of the torres fee towards a top winger or two (along with whatever other cash is in the transfer kitty) you'd be better off.

Crouch would get you goals, and two wingers would love to be aiming at him, and Bellamy has the pace to get in behind if the opposition try to push up to keep crouch out of the box.

Liverpool, imo, are more then a £27million striker away from the title, in my opinion.

Football is a funny aul game.

The gap between us and the top two this year was way too much, i agree with ya on that. No one player can make up a gap like that (maybe Henry :)) but the year before the gap was only 1 point between Liverpool and United. Simple fact is, last season United over-performed and Liverpool under-performed.

Liverpool on now on the verge of signing one of the most highly rated players in the world, with more players on the way. plus all the major players have signed new deals.

If Liverpool perform to their capabilities, they are more than capable of winning the league.

Also, think its a myth that a team needs a striker banging in 25+ goals a season (obviously it helps). If I'm not mistaken, i think i heard somewhere the other day that Liverpools 4 strikers combined last year had more goals than any other teams strikers put together. Don't have the internet in work so i can't confirm that. but i think you get my point.

He didn't turn United down, they were unwilling to meet the asking price. At the time of the speculation about him joining United ther were quite a few on United fora questioning wheter he was worth the asking price.

His record in Spain is quite impressive but then again so is Diego Forlans and we all know how he did in the premiership, There a huge difference in the style of football. Only time will tell if he is worth the money or not.

If I'm not mistaken, i think i heard somewhere the other day that Liverpools 4 strikers combined last year had more goals than any other teams strikers put together. Don't have the internet in work so i can't confirm that. but i think you get my point.

BTW if you don't have the internet in work how are you replying to this thread.

I was watching an interview with him from during the season the other night and in it he said last summer he turned down a move to United.

If United are willing to spend 18-19 million an unproven player from Porto of Lisbon, do you thinnk they would have thought twice about 22 million for torres?

I was watching an interview with him from during the season the other night and in it he said last summer he turned down a move to United.

If United are willing to spend 18-19 million an unproven player from Porto of Lisbon, do you thinnk they would have thought twice about 22 million for torres?

United were already after spending big on Carrick and they were trying to sign Hargreaves, United never offered the clubs valuation for him. Different year different budget.

• Advertisement

In answer to your question Mr. Muppet, The company i work for limits the internet use to certain sites (so so so so annoying!) but for some reason, i can use boards.

Football is a funny aul game.

The gap between us and the top two this year was way too much, i agree with ya on that. No one player can make up a gap like that (maybe Henry :)) but the year before the gap was only 1 point between Liverpool and United. Simple fact is, last season United over-performed and Liverpool under-performed.

Liverpool on now on the verge of signing one of the most highly rated players in the world, with more players on the way. plus all the major players have signed new deals.

If Liverpool perform to their capabilities, they are more than capable of winning the league.

Also, think its a myth that a team needs a striker banging in 25+ goals a season (obviously it helps). If I'm not mistaken, i think i heard somewhere the other day that Liverpools 4 strikers combined last year had more goals than any other teams strikers put together. Don't have the internet in work so i can't confirm that. but i think you get my point.
    But in the season previous, the gap between United and a Chelsea side that coasted the last few games of the season was large enough, so the gap between Liverpool and the champions in the last number of seasons has never been all that small.

I would not say United over-achieved last season, we played to our ability. Ronaldo finally started to play like we had only seen in flashes before, Scholes returned from injury like a new player, Rio and Vidic formed the aprtnership they had developed the previous season, Evra showed why he was rated as teh best LB in France. In fact, i would also argue the van der Saar, Giggs, Saha(after christmas), and Rooney underperformed for most of the season.

In answer to your question Mr. Muppet, The company i work for limits the internet use to certain sites (so so so so annoying!) but for some reason, i can use boards.
    you can tell your company we are all oh so gratefull....:D ;):p

Oh I though you had conjured up some ingenious way of posting on the internet without actually having internet access. You could have been onto a winner. ;)

Utd have blocked the move by Liverpool to sign Heinze (surprise surprise), I reckon hes on his way to Real, fear not we have Silvestre for cover :eek:

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    I have not siad that though - I am merely saying i don't see him scoring a bucket more goals then Crouch did last season, and we know Crouch can play in the prem.

I think he will be a good signing, but i don't think he is the player that will close the 20+ point gap that has existed over the last couple of seasons. I don't think Kuyt will be dramatically improved either, but then again i don't rate the guy so i wouldn't.

I actually belive that if you stuck with bellamy and crouch, and spent about 10million on Yakubu or Defoe, and put the rest of the torres fee towards a top winger or two (along with whatever other cash is in the transfer kitty) you'd be better off.

Crouch would get you goals, and two wingers would love to be aiming at him, and Bellamy has the pace to get in behind if the opposition try to push up to keep crouch out of the box.

Liverpool, imo, are more then a £27million striker away from the title, in my opinion.

Liverpoll have also signed this Voronin chap. He could be a surprise success.

madds wrote:
    Liverpoll have also signed this Voronin chap. He could be a surprise success.
    it would be a MASSIVE surprise if was a success. a very average player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Sizzler wrote:
    Utd have blocked the move by Liverpool to sign Heinze (surprise surprise), I reckon hes on his way to Real, fear not we have Silvestre for cover :eek:

If Heinze wants to go to the pool he can just buy out his contract for 6m and there is nothing united can do unfortunately

mcgrailg wrote:
    If Heinze wants to go to the pool he can just buy out his contract for 6m and there is nothing united can do unfortunately
    As far as i can tell, you are wrong.

He would had to have given formal notice to the club 15 after the game against Chelsea in the FA Cup (our last game of the season)

There has been absolutely no idication that he has done this, so he can not buy his contract out this summer.

Haven's heard the 15 day rule before but i hope it is correct, any report i have read tho still suggest the possability of him buying out his contract tho

really does annoy me when i agree with Tauren ;) but i'd be shocked if Voronin played much more than Fowler did last year. Strange signing

mcgrailg wrote:
    Haven's heard the 15 day rule before but i hope it is correct, any report i have read tho still suggest the possability of him buying out his contract tho
    I had not heard of it before either, i had heard that the player could only buy their contract out in order to move to a different country - but that does not appear to be the case.

The 15 day rule is based on what i read in the article linked in the following, originally posted in the Liverpool thread.
    Here's a fairly comprehensive article on the FIFA buy-out rules. No mention of having to go foreign. The player buys out his contract and is a free agent. Then he can go wherever he likes.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20070213/ai_n17221638
    From that article:

He must give his club formal notice within 15 days of the last match of his club's season (domestic or European, whichever comes later) in order to leave that summer.

As far as i know, Heinze gave no formal notification that he wanted to buy his contract out (even recently saying he wants to stay) so surely he can not buy his contract out this summer.

really does annoy me when i agree with Tauren ;) but i'd be shocked if Voronin played much more than Fowler did last year. Strange signing
    Don't be like that, we are getting on a lot better now (until you attack Fergie...then my vengence will be forthcoming agani!)

:D

Thanks for the article, thats good news i think it would be a disaster selling to the Pool, potentially one of our strongest rivals this year

I really fail to see the loss in losing Heinze. He was very poor on the run-in last season. He was a shadow of his former self and he knew it too. So many times he'd appear too far infield, away from the opposing winger who'd be hugging the touchline. Cue Heinze making a "heroic" effort to make it back to put a challenge in when the opposition played the ball wide. Absolute cr*p. He purposely stepped inside cause he knew when faced with a one-on-one situation, he would be burned.

On an occasion when he did find himself in the correct position and the ball was played to the opposing winger, Heinze more often than not tried to intercept the ball before it got to the winger's feet. Sometimes he judged it correctly, more often than not he didn't. That's why he spent so much time sat on his backside last season. Heck I'd put Richardson ahead of him at left full at this stage.

In the penalty area he's a loose cannon with his wild swinging arms, and I think that refs were beginning to become irritated by his Argie smiling/pleading antics when it was quite clear he'd purposely blocked his marker.

How many times did we see him take the ball forward after receiving a pass from either Rio or Vidic? I guarantee 9/10 times the ball either went straight back to where it came from or else it was hoofed up the line.

The bloke is a liability and I would accept any offers in excess of €4m for him.

• Advertisement

madds wrote:
    He purposely stepped inside cause he knew when faced with a one-on-one situation, he would be burned.

Probably not accurate as I doubt he did it on purpose, but it happened so often in matches last season, especially in Europe, that I had my doubts.

madds wrote:
    I really fail to see the loss in losing Heinze. He was very poor on the run-in last season. He was a shadow of his former self and he knew it too. So many times he'd appear too far infield, away from the opposing winger who'd be hugging the touchline. Cue Heinze making a "heroic" effort to make it back to put a challenge in when the opposition played the ball wide. Absolute cr*p. He purposely stepped inside cause he knew when faced with a one-on-one situation, he would be burned.

On an occasion when he did find himself in the correct position and the ball was played to the opposing winger, Heinze more often than not tried to intercept the ball before it got to the winger's feet. Sometimes he judged it correctly, more often than not he didn't. That's why he spent so much time sat on his backside last season. Heck I'd put Richardson ahead of him at left full at this stage.

In the penalty area he's a loose cannon with his wild swinging arms, and I think that refs were beginning to become irritated by his Argie smiling/pleading antics when it was quite clear he'd purposely blocked his marker.

How many times did we see him take the ball forward after receiving a pass from either Rio or Vidic? I guarantee 9/10 times the ball either went straight back to where it came from or else it was hoofed up the line.

The bloke is a liability and I would accept any offers in excess of €4m for him.
    get off the fence mrs neutral nancy!

have to admit, i think Heinze is an excellent player-know his form was patchy last year, but think he'll get it back.

for the record, i don't think he'll go to Liverpool. but i'd be quite happy if he did, long as he wasn't first choice unless he re-gained his old form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A bit too big of a deal is being made over this Heinze thing, its not like we're trying to get a major coup with Ronaldo or Rooney or anything. He's not gonna transform the team, even if he is a success which given the last 2 years is a doubt in itself. If we were buying him based on current form and injury setbacks from say, Villa, would United fans be jealous? I dont think so. Its just the stigma of the 2 clubs dealing together when it is one of the least harmful signings that could be made (well, short of Richardson at least). He's someone who if he stayed, wouldnt be getting much game time at United. If one were to be all analytical and tactical about it you could say it would be a good ideal for Utd to sell to pool as it guarantee's its an area pool are weaker then Utd at, rather then the risk we'll go and find a gem someplace.

I wouldnt be shocked to see a straight forward sale, if the player wanted to come. Having said that im sure he'd opt for Real Madrid, but he or his agents have obviously given some indication that pursuing a deal could be worthwhile for pool, or else it would have been dropped already.

I see Silvestre is being linked with a move to Bordeaux today, that could save us at least 5 goals a season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

got a letter yesterday about being accepted for a one year season ticket, anybody else apply for it? closing date is today, anybody on the waiting list got accepted id say, so if anybody is interested in one, give them a call..im still not sure if its worth buying this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How is it different to any other year?

last season United over-performed and Liverpool under-performed.
    Now now Al. Credit where its due, we won the league, scored just under 10% of ALL tho premiership goals last season (83 out of 996), beat you guys twice, drew twice with Chelsea (2nd game was a non event) and had more than half of the team of the season, made the FA Cup final which we only lost in extra time and lost a champions league semi final against the evntual winner, beaten by their best performance of the season and recording a win over them. We also set a champions league quarter final record beating Roma 7-1..........how does that merit being called under achievers??(your bias will force u to argue about this till the cows come home but those are the facts). Trying to discredit a title win makes u look bitter. Also like was already said certain players, like Rooney and van der Saar had dodgy half seasons while we finished the season with more injuries than any other squad in the premiership. We lost our first choice back 4 and a lot of rotation and cover players liek park and fletcher meaning we werent able to rest anyone for the big games (unlike u guys who threw away games to the likes of fulham so as to have a fresh squad for athens....)

As for u underperforming I disagree in some ways. Granted your away form was poxy. But if you're gonna focus all your energies on knocokout competitions then u have to accept trophyless seasons on the chin when it happens.

I didn't say you didn't deserve to win the league,or put in numerous great performances. But luck AS WELL AS that won you guys the league. And you's definately deserved to win the league, i won't take that away from ya.

All i said was that, imo, you over-performed. Most United fans can admit they were suprised at how impressive they were this season. Also a few lucky games too. I ain't complaining because any title winning team will have that.

So why not save time and instead of writing long posts, read the ones you are quoting properly. PLUS leave it out on Liverpool being a cup team (you know we've LOST the European Cup the same amount of times United and Forest have won it?!Hope thats made into a chant next year :))

United closed a massive gap on Chelsea in one year signing only one or two new players. It ain't impossible for us to do the same this year.

(leave it out on the real name usage too! Tauren might find out where i live and burn my house down! ;))

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    How is it different to any other year?
    because you HAVE to buy tickets for the cup games, which were optional before. The prices of these tickets have not been included in the season ticket price, and will be charged at the cup game. The added cost of this could put the ticket out of the reach of a lot of people - and some don't see it as representing the good value it used to do as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement