Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a brutal deal.

Complete rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I didn't say you didn't deserve to win the league,or put in numerous great performances. But luck AS WELL AS that won you guys the league. And you's definately deserved to win the league, i won't take that away from ya.

All i said was that, imo, you over-performed. Most United fans can admit they were suprised at how impressive they were this season. Also a few lucky games too. I ain't complaining because any title winning team will have that.

So why not save time and instead of writing long posts, read the ones you are quoting properly. PLUS leave it out on Liverpool being a cup team (you know we've LOST the European Cup the same amount of times United and Forest have won it?!Hope thats made into a chant next year :))

United closed a massive gap on Chelsea in one year signing only one or two new players. It ain't impossible for us to do the same this year.

(leave it out on the real name usage too! Tauren might find out where i live and burn my house down! ;))

Id actually agree. I couldnt believe we won the league this year and we did have our fair share of luck. Not complaining though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

united have signed tevez apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The mail are saying its permanent and worth £20m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hmmmm, seems to have come out of nowhere. I'll not be believing this until i see him in a united shirt (at old trafford - not a press conference for corinthians! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

surely there is more info on this?

is tevez not at the Copa America and did he not say he wouldn't be deciding wat he wants to do until after that tournament??

great signing if its true at 20 million

Tauren wrote:
    I'll not be believing this until i see him in a united shirt
    Yea me neither

surely there is more info on this?

is tevez not at the Copa America and did he not say he wouldn't be deciding wat he wants to do until after that tournament??

great signing if its true at 20 million
    i agree with what you are saying there.

The fact there is not more info on this, the fact he is at the Cope America, and it was said he wouldn't decide on his future mean I am not pining my hopes on this.

There were plenty of reports last summer saying Torres was going to sign for united within 24 hours, and that never happened, same happened with Ronaldinho a few seasons before that.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think Tevez would be fantastic for us. The fans would love him. Imagine playing against rooney and Tevez? Defenders would be scared sh*tless.

I think he would easily fit in with Rooney aswell. Both players are clever and they're movement is very good. They'd find each other really easily and both can play on the shoulder and deep. Sign him up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Too many papers carrying the story for something not to be happening I would suggest !

I think hes a good player but just dont feel hes an "out and out" striker per say so if we do sign him then him or Rooney will have to toss a coin and decide who is going to be the main front man ;)

Guaranteed an extra few goals a season anyway for his free kicks alone :D In summary BRING IT ON!

Sizzler wrote:
    Too many papers carrying the story for something not to be happening I would suggest !

I think hes a good player but just dont feel hes an "out and out" striker per say so if we do sign him then him or Rooney will have to toss a coin and decide who is going to be the main front man ;)

Guaranteed an extra few goals a season anyway for his free kicks alone :D
    they could all be carrying the same story from the same source though - one paper might have heard something (that was not all that reliable) and needed to fill column inches, so they run the story. Other papers see the story, don't want to get left behind, and run it to.

I do hope it is true - but i'm not going to be holding my breath.

20 million would sound a bit cheap to me too

plus didn't he say he wanted to play at Real at the weekend?

20 million would sound a bit cheap to me too

plus didn't he say he wanted to play at Real at the weekend?
    Think he rejected Inter and then when asked about Real said he'd be open to a move there.

I doubt he'll sign for United, he'd be a great addidtion if Saha was fit all season (which he wont be) and we didnt need to fill the gap for an out and out striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Think he rejected Inter and then when asked about Real said he'd be open to a move there.

I doubt he'll sign for United, he'd be a great addidtion if Saha was fit all season (which he wont be) and we didnt need to fill the gap for an out and out striker.

The BBC are now running with the story, It just could be true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6272664.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Is anyone else worried that if we do sign Tevez we could end up with the ugliest strike partnership in the history of football?:D

marius wrote:
    Is anyone else worried that if we do sign Tevez we could end up with the ugliest strike partnership in the history of football?:D
    Crouch, Kuyt + Bellamy tbh.

Tevez can be an out and out striker though. He performed well there for Boca and Corinthians in the past, as well as on occasion for Argentina.

He also likes to drop deep, obviously, but his game is not limited to that, and he can play the lead role better then Rooney.

Plus, if we do sign him, I don't think we'll have a need for a Ruud van Nistlerooy type striker (i don't think one would fit into the team pattern reagardless). I think the pace, movement and strength of our forward players would be perfect, and very hard to defend against.

With the signings of Anderson and Nani, along with Hargreaves (who will free up either scholes or carrick), I think our ability to pass through teams will be massively increased, and as such, long balls to the lead striker will no be as big an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Just think what Tevez will do for our free kick success ratio....Ronaldo's efforts, though sometimes spectacular, more often than not went blazing over the bar.

Surprised Rooney didn't take more free kicks last season as I've seen him score some stunners in the past.

madds wrote:
    Just think what Tevez will do for our free kick success ratio....Ronaldo's efforts, though sometimes spectacular, more often than not went blazing over the bar.

Surprised Rooney didn't take more free kicks last season as I've seen him score some stunners in the past.
    Correction, he scored a sweet one on his debut!!

Yea I dunno how Ronaldo is the number one free kick taker, he almost always sends it over the bar!

• Advertisement

Correction, he scored a sweet one on his debut!!

Yea I dunno how Ronaldo is the number one free kick taker, he almost always sends it over the bar!
    from 30+ yards i'd let Ronaldo take them, as his hammer it and hope methed is as effective as most other players from that range. When you get within that range, closer to the goal, it becomes rather pointless imo - so Rooney, or Giggs shoudl really have been taking the close in ones, if i had my way.

I imagine Anderson to be decent at them too, seems that type of player, ya know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IF true a good addition to the sqaud but united need a more out and out striker.
    Can they play with 2 deep lying forwards?

Anelka would be a better buy

Tauren wrote:
    from 30+ yards i'd let Ronaldo take them, as his hammer it and hope methed is as effective as most other players from that range. When you get within that range, closer to the goal, it becomes rather pointless imo - so Rooney, or Giggs shoudl really have been taking the close in ones, if i had my way.
    I agree, curling up and over the wall and then dipping the ball down in time is an art form which united havent even had close to since becks left. Ronaldo smashes it no matter where its from.

jank wrote:
    IF true a good addition to the sqaud but united need a more out and out striker.
    Can they play with 2 deep lying forwards?

Anelka would be a better buy
    Again, i think that is a limited view of Tevez - he can, and has, play as the out and out striker, if that is what is asked of him. He is a lot better at it then Rooney.

Also, if we sign him, along with the signings of Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves, I can see United playing a fast paced, ground based game (like arsenal but actually quick and direct;) ) with a lot less long balls hoofed up to the striker. With Heinze looking like going, one of the main hoofers in the side (up there with Silvestre) I don't think we'll have as big a need for a lead the line striker in the traditional sense. Also, both Rooney and Tevez have great upper body strength, so aren't useless at holding the ball up if they need to.

Story is gainin momentum, its on skysports now apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

so, what would man u fans expect now from this season, if the tevez deal is done?

do you reckon this could be the year in europe?

apparently
    :confused:

It is on their website.

Do you have the internet there, can you not have a look?

seansouth wrote:
    :confused:

It is on their website.

Do you have the internet there, can you not have a look?
    Limited access amigo, my dad told me its on there tho. Its also on rte as well.

It's the same story on all of the websites though.

Nealry the exact same wording.

This morning Newstalk were going on about a loan deal.

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    so, what would man u fans expect now from this season, if the tevez deal is done?

do you reckon this could be the year in europe?
    I'd expect the quarters - but from there you need a bit of luck, regardless of your team - we could get Barcelona in the quarters, and they'd be tough to get past.

The league will still be a difficult challenge too.

I think we will be in a far better position to go for both the league and the CL then we were the season gone - but i'll be expecting nothing really; a good performance in the league, keeping it alive up to the last couple of games, and a good showing in europe where we don't look like a bunch of kids gettign schooled, along with a good FA Cup run, and i'd be fairly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53235456&postcount=131

That's my post following West Ham's survival in a game vs the EPL Champs. What's that odour?

OTOH, Man Utd have a scary squad now for the coming season. I expect them to concentrate on Europe. Should be nothing to stop them except mental frailty.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

nipplenuts wrote:

I don't know but it definitly smells sweet!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If it's true, and I stress the if, It could make some sense. Fergie wanted to see ıf West Ham were a prem club or a championship club, as surely that would affect the price. The timing of this supposed deal does make some sense, and explain why we have been slow to strength in the striker department compared to others.

If I had the flat choice between Tevez and Anelka, I'd pick Tevez. He can lead the linme, although he does drop deep, he has done it in the past and can do it for Unıted. If the choice was beetween Tevez and Berbatov, it might be different, I'd probably pick Berbatov, but if he signs, I wıll be extremely happy, although it might see the sale of Rossi which would be dısappointing.

In terms of Free kicks, while Ronnie rarely scores from them, we have gotten some key goals from the keeper beıng unable to deal with the pace, Liverpool and O'Shea for example. Tevez would be a better option at 20 yards though.

Assumıng Tevez comes, I thınk next season will be just as hard as this season in the league, we have strengthened our weak areas (DM, wıngers, striker) they have strengthened their weak areas (CB (Ben-Haım and Alex maybe), CM, striker) I thınk we have strengthened ın a better way, but both squads are frıghtenly good. In terms of the CL, we'll see, Hargreaves is the best addition to the squad imo this summer, and he will make a huge dıfference in the CL.

Oh yeh, as for us being lucky last season, we were as lucky as Chelsea were the season before. In short, champıons make their own luck.
    As for us over-performing, I don't agree at all. I don't think any of Utd's players played above themselves last season, ıf anythıng, Rooney was below himself and if he plays well next season we,ll be flying. As for Liverpool under-performing, they performed as I expected them to, they still don't see to be able to get the league mentality. It's easy to get fired up for the Barca game, much harder to get fired up for the Fulham games, and until they fix that, they will always 'under-perform'

Either way, I hope this deal is true, but until he actually signs, I'll have to wait and hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

If some of the figures being quoted are true, whether it be a loan deal or permanent, i feel it's quite expensive.

If the loan thing transpires i.e. allegedly £4m plus £3m in wages, £7m is a hell of a lot for 12 months. In the event that he's signed outright, I've seen figures of £35m being mentioned. If Utd are prepared to pay this kind of money would they not be better to go all out for Eto'o or someone similar?

While there's no doubting the talent of Tevez, I'm not jumping up and down about signing him.

So we should expect Ronaldo to put in the same performance this year as he did last?

• Advertisement

So we should expect Ronaldo to put in the same performance this year as he did last?
    Of course, next years world player of the year!!!

Will Gerrard turn up for the less important games?!!!!! Joke!

He made a bet this season with fergie where iff ronnie scores 20 Fergie has to shave his head and if he doesnt he has to shave his own head!! Should be funny either way, Id love to see Fergie bald!!

Is there a reason we shouldn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I dont see how Tevez and Rooney could play together in a normal 4-4-2, or at least you could pick more effective partners for Rooney.

However, it looks to me that Ferguson is looking at a Barca type system. He wants a solid back 6, i.e. with Hargreaves and Carrick in front of the back 4. And then have 4 lads in front of them with licence to do whatevever they like, but without any of them being a traditional centre forward and knowing that the risk of conceding is low.

nipplenuts wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53235456&postcount=131

That's my post following West Ham's survival in a game vs the EPL Champs. What's that odour?

OTOH, Man Utd have a scary squad now for the coming season. I expect them to concentrate on Europe. Should be nothing to stop them except mental frailty.
    Hmmmm, so the player that West Ham have no control over, have no right to transfer anywhere, was offered by west ham to man united. Even though MSI own Tevez, and west ham don't.

RRRRRRRRRRiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggghhhhhhhhht

We'll talk at the end of the season. I'm not denying Ronaldo isn't an exellent player BUT I'd be suprised if he was as good next year as he was this year. Think this year was just kind of one of those seasons where he could do no wrong.

Neil: Can we expect Ronaldo to show up for any big games this year? ;) and i ain't joking.

• Advertisement

We'll talk at the end of the season. I'm not denying Ronaldo isn't an exellent player BUT I'd be suprised if he was as good next year as he was this year. Think this year was just kind of one of those seasons where he could do no wrong.

Neil: Can we expect Ronaldo to show up for any big games this year? ;) and i ain't joking.
    Seemed to me he did pretty well in the very important match against Roma at home.

I know what you mean though. However, i don't think he can be lamed for it. Against Arsenal, the whole team was sh!t, same goes for against Milan. He was never going to get the better of a Chelsea side triple marking him and playing horribly defensively either.

For Ronaldo to perform, he needs the rest of the team to play well too - otherwise the opposition can just concentrate on taking him out of the game. When other players are on form, the same attention can not be paid to Ronaldo, which gives him that bit of space to run in to. In the big games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Milan, none of our players did well - so he never had a chance of doing well himself - players played to deep to give him options in the attacking third, and this also allowed the defenses to crowd him out.

It is the same with a lot of players - if their team doesn't perform, they are unlikely to look good themselves.

Besides - winning the game against Fulham for us was MASSIVE, as was turning the game against Everton. He also did brilliantly against Man City in the game that basically won us the league title. Just because these games were not against the big sides, doesn't mean they were not big games.

However, it looks to me that Ferguson is looking at a Barca type system. He wants a solid back 6, i.e. with Hargreaves and Carrick in front of the back 4. And then have 4 lads in front of them with licence to do whatevever they like, but without any of them being a traditional centre forward and knowing that the risk of conceding is low.

I'd agree with that, could defo pick better partners (Berbatov being the obvious example), but to be honest, I could live with two Rooney's in a team :) Furthermore, Tevez can and has played the lone front man.
    I expect to see a 4-2-4 style formatıon next season when we are in possession, with two holding midfielders, although I think Scholes could be one of them, and if he played that formation in a big match (whıch I doubt he would, probably a 4-3-3) it would be Hargreaves and Scholes.

It's still a big ıf though.

Why? Are you sure it's not just that you would like that to be true. Has he done something to suggest he can maintain his form? Maybe he still hasn't mastered the big games (although I think he ain't terrible at them, say a MOM against Roma, or that free kick against Liverpool), but he really has shown he can rip apart average teams like nobody else, why would that change? He is still improving as a player, it's not like he's 28 and won't get much better, he's still very young

Hmmm I wasnt jokin either, was just bein sensitive to u shoutin across the office at me!!

Im sure he'll grow, u gotta remember, hes 22, Gerrard is 26, compare Ronaldo when hes 26 and we'll talk then! Also i wanna see Gerrard handle havin 3 men markin him......

Totally off topic, I apologise.

PHB, what's the craic with your posts? Some of the lower case "I"'s have no dots, it looks very weird.

Example
    It's still a big ıf though.

PHB wrote:
    Why? Are you sure it's not just that you would like that to be true. Has he done something to suggest he can maintain his form? Maybe he still hasn't mastered the big games (although I think he ain't terrible at them, say a MOM against Roma, or that free kick against Liverpool), but he really has shown he can rip apart average teams like nobody else, why would that change? He is still improving as a player, it's not like he's 28 and won't get much better, he's still very young

Being honest its probably a bit of both! Don't think he'll maintain that level of performance and don't want him to either! ;)

We'll have to agree to disagree on the big game thing, i genuinely think he is very poor in them.

Also think its being WAYYYYY overly generous to give him any credit for the Liverpool goal. Any PL player could take a free kick and just whack it as hard as they possibly could, i'm sure they'd be fumbled a couple of times. Still doesnt mean it was good play on their part. The reason he takes all the free is because he is greedy. end of story. Have been absolutely baffled all year how Giggs hasn't clipped him round the ear and taken them off him or Rooney (as has pretty much every Utd fan i know or have met since so don't lose the rag at me!)

nipplenuts wrote:
    Id imagine theyll look to focus on the league and Europe

Have been absolutely baffled all year how Giggs hasn't clipped him round the ear and taken them off him or Rooney (as has pretty much every Utd fan i know or have met since so don't lose the rag at me!)
    I agree. Giggsy and Rooney should be the ones takin the frees. Longer range im ok with Ron taking them cos he tends to lash the ball which suits that kind of range.

Anyway - Tevez is saying there has been no official offer made for him.

So it looks like the stories of Tevez being on the brink of a move to Old Trafford are what i thought they were, but hoped they wouldn't be - crap.

Article on teamtalk quotes him as saying there have been no offers for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PHB wrote:
    Perhaps being a bit generous to him there.

I think the important bit is he's still very young (as is Rooney) and young players are prone to have inconsistent spells and need kicks up the @rse to get them going again. I thought there was a definite dip in form from Ronaldo after he won all the awards. Thats wholly natural, a bit like second season syndrome, the player goes into comfort mode. I'm sure though the summer break will have recharged the batteries.

Conversely with Rooney, Ronaldo getting all the awards galvanised him (IMO) and he had his best spell at the end of the season - looked a far more complete player than Ronaldo - after being outclassed by him for 3/4ths of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i dont think tevez would suit utd for me he is identical to rooney. maybe yas would have been better off signing torres or berbatov or for less money anelka or even defoe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement