Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tauren wrote:
    Anyway - Tevez is saying there has been no official offer made for him.

So it looks like the stories of Tevez being on the brink of a move to Old Trafford are what i thought they were, but hoped they wouldn't be - crap.

Article on teamtalk quotes him as saying there have been no offers for him.

Those quotes are old quotes apparently and Teamtalk are not as reliable as BBC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

As a player, i'd have prefered Tevez to Torres to come to Liverpool because he was somehat proven in the premiership. (7 goals).
    Hopefully Torres adjusts and proves me wrong which we all know he is more than capable of doing.

But . . .

Would ye not be afraid that he'd leave once he got an offer from Milan/Barca/Real? He hardly seems the most loyal considering in the last week he seems to have changed his mind about what club (or even league) he wants to play in 4 times?!

cheesedude wrote:
    Those quotes are old quotes apparently and Teamtalk are not as reliable as BBC...
    Any updates?! Last i heard Skysports had a reporter outside OT.

If he did come to United, i'd expect him to be gone in 4 years time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As a player, i'd have prefered Tevez to Torres to come to Liverpool because he was somehat proven in the premiership. (7 goals).
    Hopefully Torres adjusts and proves me wrong which we all know he is more than capable of doing.

But . . .

Would ye not be afraid that he'd leave once he got an offer from Milan/Barca/Real? He hardly seems the most loyal considering in the last week he seems to have changed his mind about what club (or even league) he wants to play in 4 times?!
    I'd be no more worried then i am Ronnie is gonna bugger off, or Nani, or Anderson. If tevez signs, i will enjoy watching him play for united. If we then sell him on, well..... sign Pato and move on:D

cheesedude wrote:
    If he did come to United, i'd expect him to be gone in 4 years time...
    if that means a couple of prem titles, and maybe a CL title thrown in, i'd be happy enough:D

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/12374/Ferguson-moves-in-for-Tevez
    While Ferguson is close to snapping up Tevez, he is furious that highly-respected fitness and conditioning coach Valter Di Salvo announced he is quitting to rejoin Real Madrid with the worst possible timing – on the day the players reported back for pre-season training.

United will register their anger and request compensation from Real amid suspicions they have made an illegal approach for Italian Di Salvo, who moved to Old Trafford from the Bernabeu in the summer of 2004.

And Ferguson has also refused to sell the unsettled Heinze to Liverpool. He is likely to join Di Salvo at Real Madrid. Heinze and Anderson missed the start of training yesterday because they are playing in the Copa America.

Nani, Richardson and Giuseppe Rossi have also been given extra time off after the European Under-21 Champion*ship.

Bye bye fitness coach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Any updates?! Last i heard Skysports had a reporter outside OT.

The story on the Sky Sports website hasn't changed since the first one they put up.

Hmm, this is on the BBC website
    "I understand talks have been going on for several weeks now," added Bose.

"Manchester United are certainly very keen on Carlos Tevez but they are very complicated talks because of the nature of the loan arrangement he has at West Ham.

"What is going on is whether he goes on a permanent move, which would involve a very high fee. Certainly, Tevez's people would want in the region of what Zinedine Zidane went for when he moved to Real Madrid - about £40m.

:eek:
    "Or he could go on the same arrangement his colleague Javier Mascherano went to Liverpool under when he left West Ham. That was a two-year deal and a sort of extended loan for a much lower fee."

cheesedude wrote:
    well considering we always tire in the last 20 minutes he mustn't have been doing a very good job.:D

Oh well - any fittness revolutions he started at teh club will be well in place at this point, so we should be ok.

• Advertisement

Yeah I read that, outrageous. Nobody in the world of football is worth near that unless your name is Ronaldinho/Kaka/Cristiano/Samuel Eto and they would all be worth 50mill each.

still have a reporter outside OT waiting around (tbh don't know why he is there, even the unconfirmed reports are saying that he won't be making any move until after the Copa America?!)

interviewing a couple of ex players asking them wat they think of him as a player. Funny there, they just interviewed Stapleton who was praising him saying how great a player he was and everything he could do and wat an excellent signing he would be, and then admitted he has only ever seen him play one game!?!?!?

Still nothing said by either the club or anyone representing Tevez. Very curious why they (Sky/BBC etc) and everyone else is so sure its a done deal.

I reckon it is a done deal to be honest...

. . . . ? why?

Tauren wrote:
    well considering we always tire in the last 20 minutes he mustn't have been doing a very good job.:D

Oh well - any fittness revolutions he started at teh club will be well in place at this point, so we should be ok.
    Real Madrid bastardos!!!! At least its only a coach!!! Hope Heinze stays tbh, if he stays Id look at our squad as havin a sick amount of depth all over the park

cheesedude wrote:
    I reckon it is a done deal to be honest...
    ....................Source?

• Advertisement

still have a reporter outside OT waiting around (tbh don't know why he is there, even the unconfirmed reports are saying that he won't be making any move until after the Copa America?!)

interviewing a couple of ex players asking them wat they think of him as a player. Funny there, they just interviewed Stapleton who was praising him saying how great a player he was and everything he could do and wat an excellent signing he would be, and then admitted he has only ever seen him play one game!?!?!?

Still nothing said by either the club or anyone representing Tevez. Very curious why they (Sky/BBC etc) and everyone else is so sure its a done deal.
    I love that about Sky - they send reporters off at the drop of a hat, to stand around no where of any use, so they can interview the people strolling round at 11am on a workday. Surely CARRINGTON would have been the place to send him. You know, where all the players, managers, directors are...

The interviews with ex players are brilliant too - half of them talk utter crap,imo Stapleton is possibly the worst for it, though he'd comment on anything to get his 15seconds.

....................Source?

I reckon it's a done deal to be honest.

i didnt ask for a source, i asked why . . . . .

why do YOU reckon its a done deal??

Tauren wrote:
    The interviews with ex players are brilliant too - half of them talk utter crap,imo Stapleton is possibly the worst for it, though he'd comment on anything to get his 15seconds.
    Frank is an idiot, and he's been outed ever since Aprés Match ruined him!! Wasnt he coachin at Bolton a few years ago?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't think it's a done deal, ie he hasn't signed yet, But I do believe it will be done in the next few days.

• Advertisement

i didnt ask for a source, i asked why . . . . .

why do YOU reckon its a done deal??

I think he is the type of player Ferguson would get a raging hard on over and I believe that he is trying his best to get him and because the story originally leaked from South America makes it far more plausible than a typical British tabloid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Id say it is a done deal too. This is why United let west ham win on the last day. they had the deal set up since then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Don't think this is going to happen, Ferguson is deffo an admirer but I think this is just paper talk - there are no quotes from Tevez, his agent or anyone associated with UTD....all BS imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

whether its BS or not

theres usually some truth in the rags as theres always going to be somebody in the know at a club who leaks stuff.

Just like there were rumours about Nani joining for ages. I'd be suprised if they dont go for somebody BIG as somebody turned there attentions off Torres or they've turned to Tevez as Torres didnt want to join them.

SSN reporter outside OT is saying that there is 'several' parties claiming ownership of him.

I thought all that was sorted out?! weird weird weird situation

SSN reporter outside OT is saying that there is 'several' parties claiming ownership of him.

I thought all that was sorted out?! weird weird weird situation
    it could just be poor reporting - sky are doing it more and more lately. dunno though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB, what's the craic with your posts? Some of the lower case "I"'s have no dots, it looks very weird.

In Turkey, they don't use i normally, so you have to alt gr it, which is pretty ****ing annoying :)
    Any PL player could take a free kick and just whack it as hard as they possibly could, i'm sure they'd be fumbled a couple of times

If they could, why don't they all do it? There is a huge amount of technique involved in hitting the ball hard enough so that Reina can't catch it.
    The reason he takes all the free is because he is greedy. end of story. Have been absolutely baffled all year how Giggs hasn't clipped him round the ear and taken them off him or Rooney (as has pretty much every Utd fan i know or have met since so don't lose the rag at me!)

You think Fergie doesn't decide who takes the free kicks? Fergie lets Ronnie take the free kicks, not only because they are somewhat effective, but because if he can master them, we can have a Juninho style player who scores free kicks just like that. He's allowed take them for the same reason he was allowed dance around the ball for the first season with no end product without getting dropped, because in the end, he'll master it :)

It's future planning mostly :) There's no denying that Giggs would take a better free kick currently (well within the 30 yard mark), but he isn't a top class taker and never will be, Ronnie might be.

I'm not suggesting he's a big game player, far from it, but his performances haven't been bad in them, they have just been average in general, and sometimes good, sometimes bad, but he's young, so give him time.

Perhaps being a bit generous to him there.

Yeh fair enough :)
    I think the important bit is he's still very young (as is Rooney) and young players are prone to have inconsistent spells and need kicks up the @rse to get them going again. I thought there was a definite dip in form from Ronaldo after he won all the awards. Thats wholly natural, a bit like second season syndrome, the player goes into comfort mode. I'm sure though the summer break will have recharged the batteries.

There was a defo dip in form, no doubt about it, but only because the league was essentially won. In the cup games, he was marked out of the game, and Fergie was tactically beaten by both Milan and Chelsea. For Chelsea, he was doubled marked, and they didn't ever push people forward, so Ronaldo's main tool was useless. For Milan he was double sometimes treble marked. If this is done, not even the great players can produce their best form, and it's up to the other players in the team to do it.
    Conversely with Rooney, Ronaldo getting all the awards galvanised him (IMO) and he had his best spell at the end of the season - looked a far more complete player than Ronaldo - after being outclassed by him for 3/4ths of the season.

Yeh fair enough, I'm quite hopeful both will be on form next season, but I do accept that is hope, and it'd be lucky to happen :)

Ronnie's best run was against below top 4 teams, and I don't see any way that those teams will suddenly be able to deal with him. The better teams of course can, and he'll have to adjust his game for that, but in terms of getting 20 goals a season again, I really don't see why I wouldn't, even if they are against the bottom half. All those points count :)

---

Tauren, those are old quotes apparently.

Tevez might be just a merc, but it's up to United to keep their best players, and if he joins, we'll be much more attractive than Real Madrid, in terms of league and european prospectives. If that changes, not only will Tevez go, but Ronaldo could well go to. It's the nature of having players that ambitous, but I don't think Fergie would change it for the world.

This whole talk about him being similar to Rooney is somewhat odd imo. It's like the whole thing about two types of midfielders, DMs and AMs. Ballack an AM and Hargreaves a DM played together, and often times, Hargreaves was ahead of Ballack. It's all about balance. Rooney can play the lead striker, as can Tevez. They can switch. United's attack being fluid is perhaps their greatest weapon, this signing only furthers it.

Whether he joins or not, we will see soon. Currently it seems odd that this many sources are reporting it, the old no smoke without fire. We'll see though, I remain hopeful :)

If this signing happens, and the following players are sold, our squad will look something like this:

Sold:
    Heinze
    Brown/Pique
    Richardson
    Smith

Maybe Rossi

GK: VDS, Foster, The Pole
    Defenders: Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown/Pique, Silvestre, Neville, Evra, Evans, Bardsley
    Wingers: Giggs, Ronaldo, Park, Nani
    Central midfielders: Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson
    Forwards: Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Rossi (maybe), Ole

Not only is that squad incredible young on average, while maintaining good experience in each area (Neville in defence, Giggs on the wings, Scholes in midfield), it's really strong in depth, and the weakest area I guess in depth might be RB, but still, it's really an incredible squad.

PHB wrote:
    If they could, why don't they all do it? There is a huge amount of technique involved in hitting the ball hard enough so that Reina can't catch it.

I'm not suggesting he's a big game player, far from it, but his performances haven't been bad in them, they have just been average in general, and sometimes good, sometimes bad, but he's young, so give him time.

ha ha ha, of course other players could do it. the reason they dont is because it is more effective when you have a free kick to try and utilise the opportunity and gain some advantage as opposed to allowing some little cocky fella to blast it as hard as he can and never/rarely hit the target or get over the wall.

In your second point, as i said we should just agree to disagree, because i feel that his performances in them have been bad.

my god, what a tool! hilarious! can see him and ferguson getting on like a house on fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    Sold:
    Heinze
    Brown/Pique
    Richardson
    Smith

Maybe Rossi

GK: VDS, Foster, The Pole
    Defenders: Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown/Pique, Silvestre, Neville, Evra, Evans, Bardsley
    Wingers: Giggs, Ronaldo, Park, Nani
    Central midfielders: Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson
    Forwards: Rooney, Saha, Tevez, Rossi (maybe), Ole

shame on you PHB you're forgetting the jewel in the crown, the one, the only O Shea! No world class young team could be complete without him ;)

It does look a great team alright, im looking forward to a great season ahead, the top 4 all strengthening, nearly all of the lesser teams improving to the point of being able to cause an upset, hopfully this years Premiership should be similer to last years La Liga!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Tevez has cooled down rumours of his imminent move to Manu:

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/argentinean-ace-striker-carlos-tevez-den-553732.html

looks like he'll be signing in the next couple of days so!!

Serious good signing if AF can make it happen, and serious business is he can make a 1 year deal done on the basis of a loan.

my god, what a tool! hilarious! can see him and ferguson getting on like a house on fire!

Maybe he could get dance lessons from crouchy.:o

Better business if we could get him on a free.
    United set to seal deal for Tevez?

Argentina striker Carlos Tevez is close to sealing a move to Manchester United.

The player, source of so much controversy for West Ham last season, is currently on international duty with Argentina in the Copa America.

It is understood however that his representatives and United are close to sealing an agreement for the 23-year-old and he is set to sign once the tournament in Venezuela finishes on July 14.

The details of the transfer remain unknown as Tevez is still under contract for three more years with West Ham.

The Hammers are embroiled in a legal dispute with his agent Kia Joorabchian, who runs the company Media Sports Investment (MSI), after the club terminated an agreement giving the rights to any transfer fee for the player during transfer windows.

Tevez's proposed move to United has been complicated by the fact he is still a registered West Ham player.

The London club could dig their heels in and refuse to let him move without a fee, which would spark another legal wrangle.

It is more likely however that they will decide the best way to end the whole controversy surrounding the player is to allow him to move on a free transfer, especially given that they did not pay a fee for him last summer.

By not throwing a spanner in the works, it could also help West Ham end their legal dispute with Joorabchian which blew up after they unilaterally terminated all third-party agreements with him following Premier League action in April.

Given the history surrounding the player, United are certain to go through all the paperwork in minute detail to ensure everything meets Premier League rules.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/origin?cameFrom=news/story%3Fid%3D443520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I for one would love to see Tevez at united

but his paper work would have to be looked at very carefully

utd dont want to do a west ham job on the transfer now

and I do believe tevez is being chanced by utd

looking forward to tonights copa America

Tevez is suppose to be starting

With this signing Sir Alex is going all out for the league and champions league

looking forward to going to old Trafford to see utd versus sunderland

its exciting times at utd now
    great youngsters coming through

fair play on the Glazers to coughing up the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I'm not fully convened by Carlos Tevez; I know he was voted the player of the year three times in Argentina. I look back at last season and he scored something like 10 goals in all competitions and a few of them where lucky. I think him and Rooney are very similar and Tevez is very small like Rooney, I think we need someone with a height and who can hold the ball up.

There is a lot of talk that it’s a done deal, but the premier league and Manu are concerned with his registration. I do think it’s a done deal, BBC are reporting he will sign and they are usually spot on when it comes to transfers happening.

if it happens, it will be even more interesting how and what formation Manu play next season. I'm looking forward to the Charity Shield in 5wks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

theres a page on the man utd site saying 'Reds announce Tevez Capture' theres no article just the headline and a pic. its probs just a bored person though.

This could end up being a very messy transfer id say, just saw this on skysports.com http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475419&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=League+may+block+Tevez+move
    The Premier League will block Carlos Tevez's proposed move to Manchester United if they are not satisfied the transfer fee will go to West Ham.

where does this put Joorabchian? As much as West ham claim they've broken all agreements with Joorabchian, surely he still has majority share over him in some way. Kia obviously wont sanction a move that cuts him out of the deal, that is, if he actually has the power to stop it. Could we see a case where all the other parties just wipe it under the carpet, ignore Joorabchian and keep saying "it never happened.." to be honest id love Kia to get nothing from this deal, that whole investment in players MSI thing could ruin the game.

they werent too bothered when West Ham paid nothing for him, the premier league will make a huge deal out of this if Utd are indeed after him so they can improve their PR

Tevez's £30m United move puts pressure on Hammers for answers

Carlos Tevez is set to sign for Manchester United in the next two days in a deal that could be worth up to £30m. The Argentine will fly directly from the Copa America in Venezuela to join up with United's pre-season tour to the United States on Monday.

However the transfer could lead to a round of legal action with his present club, West Ham United, fearing they will be urged by the Premier League to clarify Tevez's registration and ownership by taking Kia Joorabchian, the businessman who owns his economic rights, to court.

In the light of the highly-sensitive inquiry into Tevez's transfer to Upton Park, West Ham would clearly not want to take that step. There are concerns at the club as to exactly how they can now extricate themselves from the saga without hurt being caused especially as Joorabchian could present potentially damaging evidence against them in court.

Tevez will sign a two-year deal at United with a "loan fee" of between £4m-£8m a year being paid. None of that will go to West Ham, even though they hold his registration and claim that he is "their player". Instead the money will be received by Joorabchian and the companies that control Tevez. United will then have an "exclusive option" in the second year of buying the striker out-right. That fee is expected to be between £14m-£22m.

When Tevez signs for United the Premiership champions will hold his registration. However Joorabchian will still retain the 23-year-old's "ownership and economic rights" until a permanent deal is agreed.

Although controversial it does not break the Premier League rules which allow for third-party ownership of players but which preclude the existence of so-called "side agreements" which allow that third-party influence over the club.

United are annoyed that news of Tevez's transfer has leaked - it was blurted out by the player to Fox TV in South America on Thursday - but the revelation does not jeopardises the deal.

Interest in Tevez has been shown by Chelsea, Real Madrid, Liverpool and Internazionale. But it is United who have made their move adding to the £50m spending spree they have already embarked on this summer as they build on last season's successes.

Tevez's departure will come as a relief to the West Ham hierarchy even if they know they are losing an outstanding player. The last thing they will now want is for the circumstances surrounding the deal to be pored over once more, especially in court. But that may be unavoidable if the Premier League decide to raise objections.

* Sheffield United are to appeal to the High Court over their relegation from the Premier League. The move follows an arbitration panel's dismissal of their claim that West Ham should have been deducted points over the signings of Tevez and Javier Mascherano. The appeal will be heard on 13 July.

United's arrivals

Owen Hargreaves (26, mid) Bayern Munich £17m

Anderson (19, mid) Porto £17m

Nani (20, mid) Sporting Lisbon £17m

Tomasz Kuszczak (25, gk) WBA undisclosed

Total: £51m

United buy now but pay later to stay on budget

How have Manchester United, laden with £660m of debt, suddenly managed to find £71m in one summer to outspend their rivals? It's the question that some fans are asking. And the simple answer is: they haven't.

The headline figures of United's transfer window are £17m, £17m, £17m and £20m. Those are amounts United have agreed to pay for Anderson, Nani, Owen Hargreaves, and, perhaps, Carlos Tevez.

This is not the whole story. The Glazers' expenditure may be below the £25m they originally promised Sir Alex Ferguson.

How? Tevez, 23, will arrive on a two-year loan deal, and although that might cost a yearly fee of £4m to £8m, buying him outright can be deferred to a future year's accounts, if they exercise their option.

Brazil's Anderson, 19, and Portugal's Nani, 20, are being bought effectively on HP. United are understood to have paid £7m and £8m up front, and will pay the rest over the terms of the deals.

And while Hargreaves, 26, has cost a chunk up front, he became a United player only on 1 July, and the outlay falls into next year's accounts.

So instead of £70m, United have spent only £20m already.

Three of the players have a decade of playing ahead, and Hargreaves should have his peak years in Manchester. United are investing in the future, which is when the payments will be spread.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2739697.ece

Interesting article and if the financial figures are correct it is excellent business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I dont think United necessarily need an out and out striker to complemente Rooney. Why do you think Fergie sold RVN? Yes he wasn't planning great and his attitude was horrible but he also knew that to get the best out of players like Ronaldo he needed to change the shape of the team. And looked how well that worked out! Buying a goal poacher or a target man might bring us back to square one.

Now that the Tevez deal is getting some mainstream headlines, I was drooling over our attacking options. Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs!!

Not too shabby! Of course both Hargreaves and Carrick couldnt fit into that midfield. We'd either have to go with 3 at the back (not an option) or stick with the one up front (which seems the case for Europe). So presuming the Tevez deal goes through I could see United pretty much line out two seperate teams for the League and Europe. At a guess Europe would look something like this

Tevez/Rooney

Nani/Giggs
    Scholes/Anderson
    Ronaldo

Carrick

Hargreaves

Then in the league

Rooney
    Tevez

Nani/Giggs
    Anderson/Scholes
    Ronaldo

Carrick/Hargreaves

Essentially all he might do for the league is play both strikers and only play either Carrick or Hargreaves, depending on the type of team up against. Whatever he does, its going to be some season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Can't see Rooney and Tevez up top together TBH. Both likr to go deep, win the ball and run at defenders. Maybe one behind the other or alternating the role throughout the course of a game, now that would make the defenders work hard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It seems that there is more and more spin put on fee's being paid these days. Almost all player fee's are spread out over a few years, whether it was £30m for Ferdinand, or £6m for Heinze, they are very rarely paid as one lump sum.

It gets ridiculous when fans will start going on about how Mikel was only £8m this year, or that Torres is £16m so far etc.

deise59 wrote:
    Why do you think Fergie sold RVD?

hehehe Ruud Van Damme, what a striker he'd be! Poaches a goal, then climbs onto the crossbar and does a 5 star frogsplash on the keeper!

*RVD is a wrestler

On topic, id say this either spells the end for Saha or means Rossi is gonna go another year without a real chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

While Im delighted we are going for a striker of Tevezs' quality, Im extremely worried about what lunatic formation Quieroz has up his sleeve for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

MANCHESTER UNITED will pay businessman Kia Joorabchian £6million for the signature of Carlos Tevez.

At the end of an initial two-year deal, United will have the option to buy the striker outright for £15m. The deal will be modelled on Javier Mascherano's move from Upton Park to Liverpool.

Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson warned: "Any potential deal for the transfer of Tevez will have to be struck directly with West Ham."

Advertisement
    Tevez has agreed a £100,000-a-week contract with United and will have a medical when he returns from Copa America duty with Argentina.

United are wary of breaching the third-party ownership rules that saw West Ham fined £5.5m by the Premier League over Tevez and Mascherano.

Mascherano's switch to Anfield did not contravene regulations, and United will follow it to the letter.

Liverpool paid Joorabchian, who owns the rights to the pair, £1.5m to sign Mascherano for 18 months. After that, he will be a free agent.

United have a similar deal with Joorabchian for Tevez, paying the Iranian about £6m over two years.

Together with Tevez's £100,000-a-week pay, that will cost the club £16.4m. After two years, their rights to Tevez end and he can leave as a free agent.

But United will insist on a buy-out clause - believed to be about £15m - that will allow them to keep Tevez and not be held to ransom should he prove a hit at Old Trafford.

Although West Ham hold Tevez's registration, Joorabchian owns his economic rights. It is understood the Hammers will not oppose the move if compensation is agreed with Joorabchian for releasing his registration.

The Premier League have vowed to monitor any transfer involving Tevez.

Word has it that Fergie and Quieroz are going to use the lotto machine to pick the team for each game next season :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The "free agent" references in that Daily Mirror article must be incorrect - otherwise Mascherano and Tevez could move permanently for free at the end of the loan periods, which is not the case.......... sure is complicated anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Quote from Tevez, as reported in the Daily Mail:

"For me, Manchester United will be a sensational destination and to be a member of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad will be absolutely spectacular.

"My dream is to be an idol in English football and I can achieve this now."

astrofool wrote:

It gets ridiculous when fans will start going on about how Mikel was only £8m this year, or that Torres is £16m so far etc.

I agree with you to a point but sometime the clubs never pay the full amount , Reyes to Arsenal would be an example. I found the article I posted interesting because on the face of it Mancheter United have spent £70 million on players this summer (assuming Teves signs) when in fact they have spent only £ 20 million again assuming the figures in the article are accurate. I hope we end up paying the full 70 million over a number of years because that will mean all signings have been a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

shame on you PHB you're forgetting the jewel in the crown, the one, the only O Shea! No world class young team could be complete without him

Can't believe I forgot him, was wondering why the full backs positions was looking so thin :) Don't forget, a player for the future :) Hell, he scored some of the most important goals United scored all season :) Big game player!

Technically, United are on course with the Glaziers plans if they do sign Tevez. He said that we would have 25 million each summer, with a 25 million special player fund. Last summer our net spend was in the negative, but we were c learly trying to get Hargreaves.
    This summer we spent last summers money on Hargreaves, and then this summers money on Nani and ANderson, and we are now using the special fund to buy Tevez (touch wood)

Personally I think the formation will be more like this:

VDS
    ---Neville
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra--
    Hargreaves/Fletcher---Carrick/Scholes
    --Ronaldo/Park
    Giggs/Nani/Anderson-
    Tevez/Saha----Rooney/Rossi

I don't think this will be the end of Saha or Rossi, or at least I hope. Saha is defo staying I think. Rossi is open to question. Fergie likes four forwards. The only question is whether he considers Ole to be still one of those forwards. Smith is defo gone. It'll either be

Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Ole,
    OR
    Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Rossi, Ole(if he's fit)

I hope it's the latter, I really think Rossi deserves his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sure its the same with Rooney. Overall it was £27 million. £10m after season 1, another £10m after season 2 and the other £7m depending on Rooneys and United success, such as amount of goals Rooney scored, no. of caps won or no. of trophies United won. Since Rooney doesn't score a huge amount, and since we've only won 1 trophie since he came, I doubt we've already paid the full amount.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement