Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Park didn't make the bench:eek:...I don't believe it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

COME ON FERGIE!! :D

That's a confident team now let's GET THE F**K ON!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I figured he'd go with that team. Strongest possible I think and Sheasy makes the bench. :D

Come on you reds! Just keep your bottle and use your heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I'm happy enough with the line up. Had a feeling he'd start Hargreavesbut slightly surprised he's playing Carrick as well alongside Hargreaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

More like
    VDS
    Brown--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra
    Ronaldo--Hargreaves--Scholes--Carrick--Rooney
    Tevez

I imagine?

Park not on the bench? Disgusted, he deserved it for his performace in 2nd leg against barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

park not even on the bench??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

KERPAL wrote: »
    No saha on the bench, fergie must be attacking, otherwise he would have left the saha option on the bench

I'm bet you anything he managed to somehow injure himself despite not having played a competitive match in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Very offensive teams for tonight,COME ON UNITED!!! i am off to watch the game now,hope we will celebrate later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

1-0 rooney

Whoever scores first will go on to win I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Good luck! Bon chance!

Oh what a bloody game! I was so nervous about it going to penalties. I was nearly in tears when Terry was about to win it but I still believed and I nearly had a heart attack when he hit the post! Fantastic nerve from Giggs to score his penalty and well done to VDS for his save.

Fantastic stuff. All hail SAF the living legend.

Champions! Champions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS! C'MON YOU RED DEVILS!!CMON THE DOUBLE!! ALL HAIL THE GREATEST TEAM IN EUROPE, MAN UNITED

We did the double, we did the double!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

they should have won 7-0

Absolutely love it.Gutted O Shea didn't come on and score the winnern though.

Wooooooooooohooooooooooo!!!!they Feckin Did It!!!!!!give Pints To Everyone And Party Not To Stop Next Few Days!!!!!
    Anyway Did I Tell Ya Vidic Wont Stay Calm With Drogba,first He Punched Him And Made Blood In 5th Minute And Than Earned Him Red Card Ahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!go Serbia!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Well done ManU. Fantastic side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

well done

I was delighted to see Kenyon having to lead his beaten team before the United squad. Would have been horrible to see him take centre stage. Fitting rather that a legend like Sir Bobby Charlton would be involved in the celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

RTE wrote:
    So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999!

Love it Great game. Edge of seat stuff. Great season!

• Advertisement

In your face Ballack i adore they lost only coz he was pissing me with that acting i am the bad guy who wants to mess with everyone:D:D:D hahahahaha where are you now?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

would like to just say

GET IN ERE

Unreal , very good match , had it all , We where on fire in the first half and should have put the game away , If Tevez scores on that break away effort we would be there debating " best team goal of a final...... " As good as we where in the first half the same must be said about Chelsea in the second half . They where very very good, The extra was 50/50 with maybe UTD just shading it (after the red card)
    Penos a crap way for any Team to lose a game.
    Well done Chelsea unlucky ,
    But as UTD FAN..

GET IN ERE , YE F**KING LEGENDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS! C'MON YOU RED DEVILS!!CMON THE DOUBLE!! ALL HAIL THE GREATEST TEAM IN EUROPE, MAN UNITED

We did the double, we did the double!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Wooooooooooohooooooooooo!!!!they Feckin Did It!!!!!!give Pints To Everyone And Party Not To Stop Next Few Days!!!!!
    Anyway Did I Tell Ya Vidic Wont Stay Calm With Drogba,first He Punched Him And Made Blood In 5th Minute And Than Earned Him Red Card Ahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!go Serbia!!!!!!!!!
    NEMANJA WHOA WHOA NEMANJA WHOA WHOA
    HE CAME FROM SERBIA HE WILL FOOKING MURDER YA
    NEMANJA WHOA WHOA NEMANJA WHOA WHOA

Love it!

_44678573_4de95741-6cea-4810-9aeb-2d16280d3450.jpg

Love it!

_44678573_4de95741-6cea-4810-9aeb-2d16280d3450.jpg
    BLOODY Excellent MNG!!!

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

terryuo1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd like to see us bring in a strong central midfielder. I don't think Carrick is great (showed good bottle for penalty obviously) and Scholes is getting on in age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

GET IN

Goddamn it, I'm hoarse from screaming and what a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

And so it starts :D
    KevIRL wrote: »
    terryuo1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

befire i head ack on the beer! foollow follw follow cuz united afre gojing to moscow!!! WOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

get in there! i cried wen Ronnie, moseed, tears in my eyes t see terry miss hhahaha gopodl li=uck

quad_red wrote: »
    GET IN

Goddamn it, I'm hoarse from screaming and what a game.
    My throat is red raw, I wont be talking much tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Know what you mean ended up taking shots of whiskey to calm my nerves half way through the penos. And this was at home with only my young brother for company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

YES!

That nearly killed me, I was dreading having to hear about Ronaldo's penalty miss for the next three months.

Special mention for a few:

Vidic and Rio were immense as always, Vidic especially. A few cagey moments for Rio maybe, but he was playing through cramp so all in all great performance

Scholes - no one deserves it more than him. Thought he might have to come off after 20 mins, but really bossed the rest of the first half. Got overran a bit then.

Ronaldo was absolutely brilliant in the first half. The game summed him up perfectly I think - as we lost control in the second he faded a lot. He doesn't play in a position that allows him to dominate the game when the chips are down, but get hold of the ball and he'll perform - no matter how big the game. So so glad it didn't come down to his penalty miss, more than anyone (and I do feel genuinely sorry for Terry) he has dragged United through this season and didn't deserve for it to end like that.

Alex Ferguson - legend. Really got the better of Grant tactically in the first half pitting Ronaldo against Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh, was there some sort of sports event on tonight? Think I missed it :confused:

GET THE F*CK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

just back from Flannerys. Was a great final. United superb for 44mins, Chelsea better team second half but overall I think United just shaded it.

Delighted for Giggs, Scholes, Rooney and Anelka.

CHAMPIONS!

Drogba, What a fool. If you are going to get sent off at least deck the man :pac::pac::pac::pac: Great pennos from United bar Ronaldo. Giggs kept his cool.

Finally shaken off Forest !!!

Real Madrid 9
    AC Milan 7
    Liverpool FC 5
    FC Bayern München 4
    AFC Ajax 4
    Manchester United FC 3
    SL Benfica 2
    Juventus FC 2
    FC Barcelona 2
    FC Internazionale Milano 2
    Nottingham Forest FC 2
    FC Porto 2

I think something that distinguishes this team from the one that won it in '99 is that this team seems a lot hungrier. I remember Keano laying into many of the squad members that won the treble because he felt they were content to live off their glory, but this team seems like it's hungry for many more honours.

I think the future looks very good for United. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

God is a Devil . . . A Red one too !!! What a night !!! Swords was a sea of red tonight . . . respect to all who were outside The Pound tonight at about 10 past 11 when I drove by doing the whole horn thing . . . . car horn that is . . . Great show of support by all !!

What a night !! For those who doubt Ronaldo, remember if it wasn't for his goal we wouldn't have had a shoot out !

Delighted for Scholes and Giggs tonight, legends . . . 'nuff said! . . . and the utmost of respect for John Terry for holding back Vidic during that fracah with Drogba, a shame he had to miss his penalty for us to win. A true pro !!

Thanks to AF for the good times . . .

A Devil . . .

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Respect to Chelsea, if they weren't playing United I would have been supporting them. Even though they have Ashley Cole on their team...

Really feel terrible for John Terry, he looked close to death at the end of it.

ps. Anderson is an awesome dancer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was delighted to see Tevez knock the ball out for the throw in, in extra time - exactly as Malouda had done in the game for chelsea - good enough for them, the jerks! Was even more delighted to see it result in a very soft red for Drogba, and all because Timberlake lost his cool and kicked it all off.

Didn't enjoy the game one bit, so nervous and tense for the entirity - thought we had thrown it all away, especially with van der Saar getting hands on both.

Wish we had won it in normal time, and deserved it a bit more - but it is great to have won it. delighted.

Great performances from Rio and Vidic all night.

Tevez just never stopped running, no wonder the guy is hammered!

Ronaldo had a good game tonight imo - especially in the first half, his link up play with Evra was awesome.

Scholes was another who was brilliant in the first half, was a lot quieter in the second half though; his passing was always crisp.

Now on to next season!!

Hopefully we kick on in the transfer market early and get in some big players - in 99 we didn't kick on as we should have, and I think it has been acknowledged from some within the club.

Tauren wrote: »
    Hopefully we kick on in the transfer market early and get in some big players - in 99 we didn't kick on as we should have, and I think it has been acknowledged from some within the club.

Too true. All major signings from last Summer were on the pitch, Hargeaves (penno), Nani (penno), Tevez (penno) and Anderson (for a bout 2 seconds & penno). We are in good shape to try and defend both next season. Enjoy these 2 wins for a few weeks yet though :D:D:D

Well Ferguson in his post-match press conference said the euphoria had already died down for him and he's looking ahead to next season...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7414013.stm

Talks about fazing out the likes of Scholes and Giggs gradually.

I think things are looking really good. Players have signed new contracts, the win will bring with it a lovely windfall and new arrivals should be on the way in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well Ferguson in his post-match press conference said the euphoria had already died down for him and he's looking ahead to next season...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7414013.stm

Talks about fazing out the likes of Scholes and Giggs gradually.

I think things are looking really good. Players have signed new contracts, the win will bring with it a lovely windfall and new arrivals should be on the way in the weeks ahead.
    i'd like to see Ronaldo sign a new contract in the coming weeks - so we don't have to listen to another summer of Ronnie to Real crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Drogba, What a fool. If you are going to get sent off at least deck the man :pac::pac::pac::pac: Great pennos from United bar Ronaldo. Giggs kept his cool.

Finally shaken off Forest !!!

Real Madrid 9
    AC Milan 7
    Liverpool FC 5
    FC Bayern München 4
    AFC Ajax 4
    Manchester United FC 3
    SL Benfica 2
    Juventus FC 2
    FC Barcelona 2
    FC Internazionale Milano 2
    Nottingham Forest FC 2
    FC Porto 2
    About time ye shook us off!

Congrats. Ye should have been 3 up at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Right, now that we have two CL winning teams, Im going try do a comparision between the best starting 11's on each of the 99 and 08 teams. I'll use the team that played tonight for the 08 team and the team that started the 99 final (minus Blomquist and Butt and added Keane and Scholes). I'll compare the teams based on their individual performances in that particular season

Peter Schmeichel vs. Edwin Van Der Saar - Winner: Peter Schmeichel

Gary Neville 99 vs. Wes Brown - Winner: Brown
    Ronny Johnson vs. Rio Ferdinand - Winner: Ferdinand
    Jaap Stam vs. Nemanja Vidic - Winner: Draw (just too close to call)
    Denis Irwin vs. Patrice Evra - Winner: Evra

David Beckham vs. Owen Hargreaves - Winner: Beckham
    Roy Keane vs. Michael Carrick - Winner: Keane
    Paul Scholes 99 vs. Paul Scholes 08 - Winner: Scholes 99
    Ryan Giggs 99 vs. Cristiano Ronaldo - Winner: Ronaldo

Dwight Yorke vs. Carlos Tevez - Winner: Yorke
    Andy Cole vs. Wayne Rooney - Winner: Rooney

Final score......5-5 :D

deise59 wrote: »
    Right, now that we have two CL winning teams, Im going try do a comparision between the best starting 11's on each of the 99 and 08 teams. I'll use the team that played tonight for the 08 team and the team that started the 99 final (minus Blomquist and Butt and added Keane and Scholes). I'll compare the teams based on their individual performances in that particular season

FAIL.

deise59 wrote: »

Oh dear...u didnt go with the starting teams....suspensions mean that for starting 11 alone this year was better.

The word legend is over-used terribly in the modern game, but Sir Bobby is a bona fide legend. He has been a wonderful ambassador for this club, both as a player, and while on the board, and we are privileged to have him. It was the absolute peak of the night when I saw him celebrating with the lads at the end of the game, the respect and affection the players showed him(particularly Ronaldo and Giggsy) just typifies the regard he is held in, by everyone both inside and outside this football club.

I'm sure that one by one, the players and staff will sit down for a drink with him tonight amid the celebrations, they know how much this will have meant to him, even if he will never be able to fully articulate it, and they know it is men like he, Sir Matt Busby, and his great teams, that have made this club the wonderful sporting institution it is today.

I can only imagine the emotions that must have been going through his head when the last penalty was saved, but he carried himself with great pride and dignity afterwards, and seeing the smile on his face will always stick with me when I remember this day. He looked completely content, watching a talented young team become champions of Europe, as he did, and was part of, 40 years ago. We have come full circle, and no-one has been so synonymous with the club, before or since. He is truly one of the most remarkable sportsman of my lifetime(or any other for that matter). The mark of the man is that even tonight, one of the most emotional of his life, he modestly refused to have the medal placed on his neck, he knew he hadn't been out there, and the moment belonged to the players. Class. You either have it or you don't.

Enjoy the night, Sir Bobby, and thanks for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Congrats to Man Utd on winning the Champions League.

It was a close run thing in the end, and in terms of the play Chelsea shaded it with their woodwork efforts, more attempts at the goal over 120 mins, but you had your chances too. But that's football.

Ferguson and Man Utd have if anything since 1999 not done as well in the CL as they should have, and Ferguson readily admits that, but to win the league and the CL in the same year is a mark of the stength of this team that has been built up over the last 5 years or so.

Redspider

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement