Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Steve_o wrote:
    I think he has Portugese citizenship as well....
    he wouldn't need a work permit if he had that.

Also, he would only have portugese citizenship if one of his parents or grandparents were portugese, as he has only been in portugal for 18months, so certainly has not been there long enough to qualify for citizenship through residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I actually don't think signing a striker this summer is (necessarily) crucial. I mean, goals weren't a problem for Man U last season, they came from al over the pitch...a fit Saha / Rossi / Smith / Solskjaer would well be able to hit 15-20 goals next season. With a proper pre-season behind him I'm sure we'll see a more consistent Rooney next season...and he proved against Milan and Roma that he can play as an out-and-out striker, so I'm personally not too fussed tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We also proved against Milan in the 2nd half and against Chelsea that we need a striker who can lead the line. Rooney can not do that, it's just not his style. Saha can, and he's great at it. I think Fergie accepts that, and believes in him. That's why I think we'll sign an average striker who can play in that role.
    I can't see us buying Eto or somebody considering the money we've spent, that said, ya can't tell from the Gill quotes, cause it's not like he's gona go say, yeh, we'll pay another 30 million for the striker we need, that'd be just stupid.

I look forward to next season a lot to be honest,
    I think the following players will be sold

Brown, Heinze, Richardson, Smith, which will leave us with the cracking squad of:

GK: VDS, Foster, The Pole

Defence: Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Bardsley, Pique, Evans, Slyvestre, O'Shea

Central Midfield: Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher

Wingers/Attackers: Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Nani, Anderson

Strikers: Saha, Rooney, Rossi, Ole, New Striker type person

p.s. I think Park will be a big player next season, we missed him this season, he was great this season when he was fit, and provides a real option on the bench

I look forward to our top eleven:

VDS
    ---Neville
    Rio
    Vidic---Evra-
    -Ronaldo-Hargreaves-Scholes-Giggs-
    Saha
    Rooney

Subs:
    Foster
    Pique
    Park
    Anderson
    Rossi

That's some real talent on that bench :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote:

VDS
    ---Neville
    Rio
    Vidic---Evra-
    Saha
    Rooney

Subs:
    Foster
    Pique
    Park
    Anderson
    Rossi

wheres Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote:
    We also proved against Milan in the 2nd half and against Chelsea that we need a striker who can lead the line. Rooney can not do that, it's just not his style. Saha can, and he's great at it. I think Fergie accepts that, and believes in him. That's why I think we'll sign an average striker who can play in that role.
    I can't see us buying Eto or somebody considering the money we've spent, that said, ya can't tell from the Gill quotes, cause it's not like he's gona go say, yeh, we'll pay another 30 million for the striker we need, that'd be just stupid.

I look forward to next season a lot to be honest,
    I think the following players will be sold

Brown, Heinze, Richardson, Smith, which will leave us with the cracking squad of:

GK: VDS, Foster, The Pole

Defence: Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Bardsley, Pique, Evans, Slyvestre, O'Shea

Central Midfield: Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher

Wingers/Attackers: Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Nani, Anderson

Strikers: Saha, Rooney, Rossi, Ole, New Striker type person

p.s. I think Park will be a big player next season, we missed him this season, he was great this season when he was fit, and provides a real option on the bench

VDS
    ---Neville
    Rio
    Vidic---Evra-
    Saha
    Rooney

Subs:
    Foster
    Pique
    Park
    Anderson
    Rossi

No room on the bench for Nani?? Id imagine after spending 17 mill on him he will make the bench at least. But you are right we have a cracking squad for next season, cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and carrick?

No room on the bench for Nani?? Id imagine after spending 17 mill on him he will make the bench at least. But you are right we have a cracking squad for next season, cant wait!
    Carrick dumped out after playing an important part of a title win too! poor old Michael...

Tauren wrote:
    Carrick dumped out after playing an important part of a title win too! poor old Michael...
    Man didnt even notice that! :) Just shows what a nice big squad we got for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'd anticipate something like this:

VDS
    Gaz---Rio----Vida---Evra

Carrick---Harg----
    -Ronaldo---Scholes---Nani
    Rooney

Anderson to rotate with Scholes/Carrick and Nani to rotate with Giggs.

Man didnt even notice that! :) Just shows what a nice big squad we got for next season.
    the best thing about the signings of Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson is the fact we'll ahve game changers on the bench this season (if everyone is fit) Last season our bench was usually something like 1 goal keeper, 2 defenders, Fletcher and Richardson....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I dont think we need worry about who is the next signing. if there is one it willl be from spain and a striker I would think. wait until their season ends and then we shall see.

VDS
    Gaz---Rio----Vida---Evra

Carrick---Harg----
    Rooney

I think that'll be our European style team formation, but I think it'll be Hargreaves and Scholes deep, with Ronaldo-Anderson-Rooney
    Saha

I forgot about Carrick :) It's nice to have that squad :P

I think Anderson and Nani are still buys for the future, and don't think they'll instantly get into the first team, or even the bench instantly. Nani will still need time to develop.

besty wrote:
    I'd anticipate something like this:

VDS
    Gaz---Rio----Vida---Evra

Carrick---Harg----
    Rooney

Anderson to rotate with Scholes/Carrick and Nani to rotate with Giggs.
    Thats the team I was thinking aswell. What do ye reckon about the Anelka rumours? I dont think he would be a bad signing at all if its only 8 million we are talking.
    PHB wrote:
    I think Anderson and Nani are still buys for the future, and don't think they'll instantly get into the first team, or even the bench instantly. Nani will still need time to develop.
    I would be very surprised if they didnt make at least the bench most games, at Fletcher and Richardson's expense. They wont develop playing reserve team football imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Heinze will have a host of clubs after him but has anyone shown any interest in the other united players that are bound to not get any game time now yet are premiership standard. Like Richardson, Brown, Fletcher and maybe Silvestre, Smith, O'Shea or Park. Roy Keane cant buy them all

Park, O'Shea and Fletcher will be staying, no doubt about that. There's nobody who could replace them for the money we would get, Fergie won't be selling them so theres no point in discussing it.
    Silvestre has been told by Fergie he is staying, but so is Richardson. However I think the Richardson thing has changed a bit, since the signing of Anderson and Nani, so imagine he is off.

Richardson - Considering he kept West Brom in the premiership, I'm pretty sure a good few clubs would be interested in him if he's for sale.
    Brown - He's a pretty good CB, rumours linking him to Newcastle and Bolton, can see him at Newcastle.
    Smith - There were links with him to Newcaslte also, but nothing really solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats the team I was thinking aswell. What do ye reckon about the Anelka rumours? I dont think he would be a bad signing at all if its only 8 million we are talking.

I would be very surprised if they didnt make at least the bench most games, at Fletcher and Richardson's expense. They wont develop playing reserve team football imo.

I would be surprised if Anelka signs I hope he proves my fears wrong if he does. Fergie has a good track record of managing troublesome players. I think it may be a bit of a bluff to help with negotiations fro another player.

I can't believe Anelka is only 28 , he seems to have been around for a long time I would have thought he was in his thirties. He was a great player but the other stuff leaves a bit of a sour taste TBH.

I see Spurs are being linked with Smithy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

any chance anyone has a link for any videos for anderson??????

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

He looks hot, in the skill sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJe9JgzWv4E&mode=related&search=

Very strong too , perfect for the prem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

legend - him on the left ronaldo on the right - unstoppable

Dutz wrote:
    any chance anyone has a link for any videos for anderson??????
    just go back a few pages there are loads of them

• Advertisement

james123 wrote:
    He looks hot, in the skill sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJe9JgzWv4E&mode=related&search=

Very strong too , perfect for the prem
    The first trick he does in that video is unreal!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

You're awfully smug.
    Pennant has given himself a shot to prove himself further next year with a good end of season and is definately young enough to develop into an excellent player, and little luis in the opposite of Ronaldo ie. he has an ability to perform on the big stage.
    Are you serious? You dont rate Ronaldo but pennant looks like he has the makings of an excellant player. Thats a good one!!

I love liverpool supporters :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

The first trick he does in that video is unreal!! :D
    I concur, looking forward to next season!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

raido9 wrote:
    Are you serious? You dont rate Ronaldo but pennant looks like he has the makings of an excellant player. Thats a good one!!

I love liverpool supporters :D:D

of course i rate ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I hope the new signings mean we can now finally get rid of Richardson!!!

It pissed me off to just see him on the bench, at least fletcher has some bite to his game. And Jonno had the Skillz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I feel we will see scholes rested quiet a bit next season. ie. both cups , in the league against bottom half opponents, and even home legs in europe depending on opponents .
    And i hate to say it , but i feel Giggs may not be an automatic first team starter next season.
    or (Which is what i love to see)
    Giggs rested like scholes
    Wrap them both up in cotton wool and treat them like fine china only bring them out when VIP's come calling......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ideally that's what Fergie would have wanted to do last season, rest Scholes and Giggs, mainly because they're older, recovery time for matches takes longer for them than the younger players like Rooney et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

The papers do write some rubbish and:rolleyes: today they say Sunderland have made a £2,000,000 offer for Paul Scholes, first of all if Manu where to sell him, im sure we could get upwards of £5/6,000,000. The man has just had one of his best seasons ever at Manu and fergie knows how important he is to his current plans for next season, so i dont think he will sell him, if he did it would be a massive risk. I'm sure he will wait and see how Anderson and Nani settle in, remember it took Ronaldo a season or to. I think Scholes will be rested next season, but i expect him to play most the the Premier League and Champions League next season, maybe 1/2 FA Cup games depending on who we play, if its one of the top 4 in the league.

Richardson linked with a £4,000,000 move to West-Ham, they could have him for less. I will be doing summer saults when and if he goes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well, its been an amazing week at united, nobody could have predicted that we would splash out almost 50million pounds. hargreaves was always going to happen and i knew all along that nani was going to sign, but anderson was a complete surprise. a friend of mine, a lad from portugal told me that the deals was going through but i didnt believe him. he feels that anderson is a superb player and hes been raving about nani for the past 6 months.

with these 3 lads and the 4 main players coming back from loan (foster,pique, rossi, evans) it now brings our senior squad up to about 28/29. that leaves other players such as -

tom heaton (either him or kuz to go on loan)
    kieran lee (out on loan, possibly to sunderland / derby)
    craig cathcart (out on loan)
    phil bardsley (i dont rate him good enough, id sell him, wonder are villa interested?? 2 million would be great business)
    chris eagles (has been on loan 2 times already, maybe sell him ? 2 million)
    lee martin - not sure about him, sell him maybe, not going to make it.
    danny simpson - sundeland may try to take him on a pernament deal,or else another loan.
    lee barnes (out on loan)
    adam eckersley (sell him!)
    and theres still loads more on loan at antwerp, darran gibson, frazier campbell etc, so that takes our squad to over 40!

its going to be very hard for these young lads to break into the squad, so most will move on, bringing in about £10 million. i can see us signing a low cost striker, to have the same effect as Larsson, if he hit 7 or 8 goals in the season, then it would be worth it. personally, id be happy if stayed as we are, cos the only reason that we would sign another striker, is if saha was sold, and i think he deserves another year. rossi coming back, well hopefully that will be a great boost and he can become a 15 goal striker, i have no doubt in that. anelka?? im not so sure bout him, if we were going down that route, mark viduka would be a safer bet. cant see us going for him though.

i dont think smith has the striker instinct anymore, dont get me wrong, i think he is a great player, but now that we have added 3 to our midfield, i think hes days at united could be over. richardson is an just a waste of space and surely he has to be sold, i mean ffs, the lad is beyond useless. if west ham or anybody are willing to spend £4 million on him, then surely the money men at OT will insist that he goes. Silvestre is another who could get us £2.5 to 3 million. but i would not be surprised if either of the 3 stayed. i does not make sense to keep them though.

so potentially, united could see about 7 not needed players who could bring for in over £20 million. that would probably give us maybe £10 million of that
    for a new striker, but as i said, im more than happy with Saha,Rooney,Rossi as 3 main strikers, with Ole and Smith off them as BU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think we will sell 3 players even if we dont buy another striker and if spurs are willing to part wit 7m for smith i think he shud be sold he has great heart and determination but he just aint good enough as for richardson 4m we shud bite off west hams hand if they r willing to pay that for him i think silvestre and bardsley can be off loaded aswel.them 4 could bring in around 15m if we lucky.think it wud be great business. Think Anelka is worth a shot at 8m he has all the attributes to be a top striker its just attitude that needs soting and who better than sir alex.i think a partership of rooney and saha/anelka wud be great when we play 4 4 2.as for scholes going to sunderland for 2m thats a pure joke he has 2 good years left in him especially that he can be rested now that there is options in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Nani is starting for Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Portugal winning 1-0, Nani scored a good goal, didnt do much else in the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Here's two articles posted on another site I though United fans here may be interested in reading.

Sir Alex Ferguson has A balancing act
    By Gabriele Marcotti

A WHILE back, when I had the opportunity to sit down with Sir Alex Ferguson, I asked him about team-building, and how to rebuild for success generation after generation.
    "Obviously, identifying the right players and getting them at the right price is crucial," he said. "But, just as important, is creating an environment where they want to stay. It's easier at a bigger club like United, of course, but there are always challenges. And, for most players, getting them to stay is not just about money. They like to know they are well-rewarded and appreciated and many measure it by the size of their pay cheques. But it goes beyond that. You have to create the right balance of comfort, so they stay, and challenge, so you get the best out of them."
    Those words came to mind last week on the day Ryan Giggs announced his retirement from international football and United confirmed they were signing two of the best young players around, Porto's Anderson and Sporting Lisbon's Nani. In the space of a few hours, two of the things Sir Alex is best at came to the fore: bringing in talented players and creating the environment to retain them.
    In many ways, Giggs epitomises both qualities. In 1987, Sir Alex personally went by his house waving YTS forms in a last-ditch attempt to get him to shun Manchester City, with whom he had all but signed. Twenty years on, Giggs is on the verge of breaking Sir Bobby Charlton's all-time appearance record for United. That longevity is a function of both his ability and judicious use by the club. He has started more than 30 league games in a single season just once in the last 13 years, perhaps a testament to the fact that his skills come at price: durability.
    A knack for using him at the right time and in the right position (while he will be remembered as a left-winger, he has been deployed with success on the right and centre of midfield as well as up front) has been instrumental.
    Equally important is the way Sir Alex has handled him over the years. He has always been an important cog in United's machine without necessarily being the central figure - a role filled, at different times, by different players (Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, David Beckham and now Cristiano Ronaldo) - perhaps precisely because, by his own admission, Giggs is more of the low-key, silent leader type.
    Had he accepted any of the lucrative offers from abroad, it may well have been a different story. Landing at Milan or Barcelona with a £20 million price tag on your head and having to deal with the weight of immediate expectation in a foreign land might have placed him outside Sir Alex's delicately balanced comfort/challenge zone.
    Much of this also applies to Paul Scholes, another home-grown product with, perhaps, a similarly understated personality. Scholes and Giggs turn 33 and 34 respectively in November and it's almost too easy to point to Anderson and Nani as natural replacements.
    Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira is often compared to Ronaldinho, a heavy burden to bear for a kid who only turned 19 last April, andwhose progress has been slowed by injuries. Yet when fit, he has certainy justified the hype, displaying the form that won him the "Player of the Tournament" award at the FIFA Under-17 championships in 2005.
    His main difference from the Barcelona star is his build. Anderson is compact and muscular, whereas, at 19, Ronaldinho was reed-thin. He can be deployed anywhere on the front line or midfield, though the word from Carlos Queiroz, Sir Alex's number two, is that his long-term future is in central midfield, as heir apparent to Scholes.
    Nani, on the other hand, is pencilled in to take over from Giggs. The pacy winger has been hyped as "the next Luis Figo" since making his debut at Sporting. The 22-year-old has played an integral role at the club over the past two seasons, but he really came to the fore last September when he led the side to a 1-0 defeat of Inter in the Champions' League.
    "I know I'm not supposed to designate an heir because I'm not supposed to put pressure on anyone," Inter's Figo said after the game. "But seeing him up close today, I have to say it's an honor for me that people are describing him in those terms."
    That sort of recommendation goes some way to justifying the combined £30m United shelled out for the pair. Yet the club's initial outlay is only half that, with the rest dependent on appearances.
    "This is an investment for the next ten years," CarlosQueiroz said. "It's worth imagining a frontline of Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson and Nani, all of them players of enormous creativity."
    It may not be a coincidence that Queiroz's vision of the future does not include a traditional centreforward, but rather four guys who can interchangeably fill different roles while providing a sizeable goal return. And it may offer a clue as to what United will (or, more likely, will not) do during the remainder of the transfer window. Many, including yours truly, felt United were under-manned up front following the departure of Ruud Van Nistelrooy last summer. Given that neither Wayne Rooney or Louis Saha are back-to-goal strikers in the Van Nistelrooy mould, the concern was that the club lacked a genuine target man alternative.
    As it happens, we were all wrong. Sir Alex simply found another way to make things work, one based on pace, movement and creativity, rather than physical strength and the ability to hold up the ball. While there are suggestions that United may yet bring in another striker (Ajax's Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and the perennial favorite, Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres are thetwo names most often mentioned) it appears Sir Alex may limit himself to bringing back Giuseppe Rossi from his loan spell at Parma to round out the attack.
    Together with the protracted signing of Owen Hargreaves (hardly a snip at £17m, but a solid contributor if he stays healthy) United already look complete.
    The fact that theyappeartohave everything wrapped up by the first week in June is certainly impressive. And, perhaps, a clue to just why the club have been so dominant for so long.

http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootball/display.var.1443915.0.a_balancing_act.php

The Times 3 6 07

Splashing the cash
    Sir Alex Ferguson’s £50m triple swoop has put serious pressure on his Premiership rivals

Jonathan Northcroft

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks but some are perfectly capable of learning things for themselves. Sir Alex Ferguson went into the summer looking for a playmaker and a winger, just as he did on the last occasion Manchester United won the Premiership. Then, following the 2002-03 season, his targets were Ronaldinho and Damien Duff. Their clubs, Paris Saint Germain and Blackburn, wanted big prices and the players themselves had high wage demands but Ferguson was willing to play the waiting game.

He waited and waited until, in late July, deals were done. But those deals involved Ronaldinho going to Barcelona and Duff to Chelsea. Like a Wag gazumped over a designer handbag, Ferguson indulged in some hasty and indignant comfort shopping.

Kleberson, like a £5.93m pair of Jimmy Choos, arrived. A rotten buy. Ferguson then found himself pressured into bringing forward the purchase of an item he had originally intended leaving on the shelf for later. He paid more than expected too: the trouble was that other shoppers had become interested, among them Arsenal. Iin these unpromising circumstances a new transfer policy was born.

United’s £12.24m purchase of Cristiano Ronaldo in August 2003 was to create a fresh model for Ferguson. From Ronaldo’s success, the old dog divined that rather than chasing the Ronaldinho of right now it may be better to get the Ronaldinho of tomorrow. We are not talking about taking long-term gambles on obscure kids - nobody is going to beat Arsène Wenger when it comes to that - but purchasing upcoming stars after they have become established but before their prices spiral.

The next year Ferguson spent £20m on Wayne Rooney, with £7m of add-ons to be paid depending on the signing’s success. Rooney, like Ronaldo, was 18 when he joined United. Since then, Ferguson has bought Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra at 24, a young age for defenders, and Ben Foster, the goalkeeper, when he was 22. You would get £45m for Ronaldo now, £40m for Rooney and £25m for Vidic, Evra and Foster, who cost £12m combined. And with the exception of Foster, they have been vital to bringing Ferguson the even greater profit of a championship.

United’s £35m grab of Portuguese winger Nani and Brazilian playmaker Anderson, demonstrate how Ronaldo became Ferguson’s blueprint for future United transfers. Nani is 20, Anderson 19, each with a status similar to Ronaldo’s in 2003, and both even came from Portuguese clubs. Though their fees appear high, a significant portion is made up, as with the Rooney deal, by success-related increments that United will be more than happy to pay if these players bring silverware to Old Trafford.

The transfers will also have a major effect on other clubs. With a £17m deal for Owen Hargreaves finally completed after 12 months of negotiation, the champions have spent more than £50m before the summer market has even opened in earnest, putting real pressure on the teams hoping to catch them.

Not only does it mean fans of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool now expect action, but it will be more difficult than before for them to do deals. The summer market is usually influenced by keynote deals and, by paying high fees for two young players, neither of whom are established internationals, United have set a benchmark that selling clubs will try to use when Jose Mourinho, Wenger and Rafael BenÍtez come calling for their players. BenÍtez fancies Simao Sabrosa? You can hear Benfica saying: “If Nani, with five caps, is worth £18m, how much for our player, who has 48?”

Big European clubs, notably Juventus, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, also have big transfer budgets, driving prices for the top players further upwards. If a statement by Mourinho can be treated as nonpolitical (something you can only ever do with care) then Chelsea will respond to these heightened market conditions by doing next to nothing. On Friday they completed the free transfer of Claudio Pizarro from Bayern Munich. The 28-year-old Peruvian has spent recent seasons in Munich as a deluxe back-up striker, a role he is likely to adopt at Stamford Bridge, where he has the quality to fill in for Didier Drogba when the Ivory Coast forward is at the African Nations Cup.

Chelsea’s other dealings have involved buying Alex for $1, acquiring Steven Sidwell on a Bosman, and paying £200,000 for a 16-year-old Oldham prospect, Danny Philliskirk. “The change is not because Mr Abram-ovich turned off the tap,” Mourinho said. “The philosophy is we spent money before, built the squad for a long time and don’t need to make big investments season after season.”

Mourinho, who drew indignant strength from being denied reinforcements in the January transfer window, and is prickly about being tarred as a big-spending manager, may relish the opportunity to show what he can do on a budget.

His idea that his squad is good enough at full strength is based on Chelsea’s record against United in head-to-heads, and form in the second half of 2006-07, but also rests on certain assumptions – that Drogba can have another season like his last one, that Frank Lampard’s loss of form is a blip, that youngsters like Arjen Robben, Jon Obi Mikel and Salomon Kalou can become consistent, and that more can be squeezed from Claude Makelele’s little old legs. Mourinho does still want a striker but was rebuffed when he asked for money to sign Benni McCarthy, for whom Blackburn would want at least £8m.

Wenger wants to enhance Arsenal but Real Madrid are in for one of his targets, Franck Ribery, and Barcelona’s renewed efforts to sign Thierry Henry are serious. Henry has been making the kind of noises (about “ambition” and “frustra-tion”) that opens the ears of suitors and the idea of an Henry-Samuel Eto’o swap (plus cash heading Barcelona’s way) may be explored should Wenger, as he did with Patrick Vieira, finally call Henry’s bluff.

BenÍtez is said to be ready to pay £35m for Eto’o even though he has reservations about the entourage who follow Eto’o around. Closer to fruition is a £10m deal for Florent Malouda, the Lyon winger, whose pace, dribbling and crossing ability would give Liverpool an option neither the departing Bolo Zenden nor Mark Gonzalez could provide on the left.

£34m double act

Anderson

Name: Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira, aka Anderson

Nationality Brazilian

Age 19

An attacking mid?elder, frequently likened to Ronaldinho, a fellow native of Porto Alegre in the south of Brazil. Like Ronaldinho, Anderson began his career with the Gremio club of Porto Alegre, and followed a long line of Brazilian playmakers to Porto in Portugal. He made his first-team debut for Gremio aged 15, and scored a free kick in the Porto Alegre derby against Internacional that shot him to fame. Best player at the last under 17 World Championships, by which time Porto already had a deal in place, to the irritation of European heavyweights, including Barcelona.

Despite a domestic season disrupted by injury, has been called up for the senior Brazil squad to compete in the Copa America in Venezuela later this month

Nani

Name Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha, aka Nani

Born Cape Verde Islands

Nationality Portuguese

Age 20

A winger noted for his speed and close control, he is often compared to Cristiano Ronaldo, who also joined United from Sporting Lisbon. Born in the former Portuguese colony of Cape Verde, off the coast of West Africa, but spent most of his childhood in Lisbon, the city to which his parents emigrated. Made his Portuguese Superliga debut for Sporting aged 18 and scored on his ?rst appearance for the senior Portugal national team, Luis Felipe Scolari having given him his debut against Denmark last September. Likes to celebrate scoring with multiple backflips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Sposs wrote:
    I hope the new signings mean we can now finally get rid of Richardson!!!

Well hopefully those runours about West Ham wanting him for £4 million are to be believed. I think it's a bargain, it'll be the best £4 million we ever spent getting rid of that waste of space. :rolleyes:

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2164316,00.html

Manchester United are on the trail of Barcelona striker Javier Saviola, who will leave the Spanish champions on a free this summer.

According to reports, the 25-year-old Argentine has made it clear Old Trafford is his preferred destination after three years at Barca, despite interest from Arsenal, Liverpool, Bolton, Valencia and Real Madrid.

He said: "I consider my career at Barcelona is finished. There are several offers on the table."

Saviola moved to Spain from River Plate in 2001 but despite an impressive goal-scoring ratio, he never really established himself in the Barca first team.

He was shipped out on loan to Monaco for the 2004-05 season and then to Sevilla last year where he helped the club win the UEFA Cup.

Earlier this season he scored eight goals in six matches in the absence of star striker Samuel Eto'o, but again found himself benched when the Cameroon star returned.

United have been linked with a host of strikers since the end of the season including Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Nicolas Anelka

I like Saviola as a player - but i do not think he would be the right signing for us. Personally, I think we need to be looking at a big, strong, quick striker. Someone like Eto'o, or even Anelka or Huntelaar. Saviola is quick, and his movement and ability on the ball are great, but he is not a player to fend off a defender like Terry while waiting for support. For me, Saviola is too much like what Rossi has the potential to be, so I'd much prefer Rossi given the chance.

• Advertisement

Saviola would make sense as his contract is expiring and would not be big money (wages might have to drop tho), he would also be abe to fit uniteds formation either as another forward or replacing a winger/forward in their 4-5-1(4-3-3) set-up.

there is however a new striker linked every day despite united already having spent moremoney than in an average summer already, and this with the spanis season not even over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how did Nani play last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

That was an excellent strike.
    I would like to see Saviola in a United shirt. He wouldnt be the player to hold up the ball much be he is still a very good player. If he came in it would be the end of either Saha or Smiths united career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

tbh what we need is a wee small pacy striker, to complement rooney
    saviola could fit that bill, but darrent bent is a bit more acustomed to the permiership.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Well hopefully those runours about West Ham wanting him for £4 million are to be believed. I think it's a bargain, it'll be the best £4 million we ever spent getting rid of that waste of space. :rolleyes:

ive always thought richardson is one of utds best fringe players.....good ultity man

rumours of him to shef.utd are bull.......a england international going to championship?at his age?career suicide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Richardson is a joke, he runs with his head down and more times than not will lose the ball. He should go back to west brom where he looked good, the calibre at united is showing him to be nothing more than an average player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

More scare-mongering in yesterday's papers I saw, the Premier League are apparently going to investigate the arrival of Anderson, under suspicion that there's third party ownership.
    But before that happens, the Brazilian teenager will face a probe by the Premier League for fears of a new Carlos Tevez affair.

United are buying the teenager from Porto, but there will be an investigation into possible third party ownership by the mysterious Global Soccer Investment group.

Anderson was plucked from Gremio three years ago and sold to Porto, with GSI taking a 75 per cent stake in him.

Now, the Premier League - under huge pressure to check the money trail in all deals - will consult Porto, Gremio and both the Portuguese and Brazilian football associations over these key questions.

It is the latest test case for the Premier League, whose rule on third-party ownership caused the row with West Ham over Tevez and Javier Mascherano, for which the London club was fined £pounds;5.5m.

The ownership and identity of who put the money into GSI is a major puzzle. Porto are aware of who is behind the company, but are unwilling to reveal the truth.

Porto adminstrator Fernando Gomes revealed recently: 'We know who is the head of GSI, but we are not allowed to say.'

Several agents, including top wheeler-dealer Pini Zahavi and Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes, are close to the Anderson deal.

However, whether they will co-operate in any inquiry is doubtful.

United have done nothing wrong in the way they have paid the money to Porto. But the Premier League will now seek assurances about where the cash goes from there. -- Wire Services.
    http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,4136,132129,00.html

Pretty much word for word what I read in The Mirror yesterday as well.

I saw comments from Anelka today, saying he wouldn't be able to turn down a move to United. To be honest, I wouldn't mind him. Especially if United revert to a 4-2-3-1, he'd be a very good option on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

He is a very good player but he moans far to much for my liking. He could easily fall out with Fergie and thats not a good thing to do as others have found out.

bolton would look for £8 million for anelka, i dont think he is worth that and i dont think united would pay that. its a strange one. maybe fergie will be happy with rossi coming in and the same forward line as last season, which aint too bad, i still think we are stronger in the striker department that any other team in the premiership at the moment.

richardson is a waste of space, end of story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think Anelka would be a great signing, he's learned from his mistakes and has made some bad choices in his career. He said it when he signed for Bolton, the biggest mistake was leaving Arseanl, but that was down to greed, but that greed of his brother not himself. Javier Savola would be good signing, but if we sign either of the above i thnk Smith will be the one to lose out with Saha getting a second chance, because Anelka or Saviola can't hold the ball up that well.

SAF said he would had 3 players he wanted to sign, but was 3 including Hargreaves? I dont think so and wouldnt be suprised if we sign a striker this week.

SAF said he will have to make some tough decisions. I wouldnt be suprised to see Giggs leave next season, i think Scholes has another 2 good season in him and would be very, very suprised if was sold or let go in the summer.

I think Anelka would be a great signing, he's learned from his mistakes and has made some bad choices in his career. He said it when he signed for Bolton, the biggest mistake was leaving Arseanl, but that was down to greed, but that greed of his brother not himself. Javier Savola would be good signing, but if we sign either of the above i thnk Smith will be the one to lose out with Saha getting a second chance, because Anelka or Saviola can't hold the ball up that well.

SAF said he would had 3 players he wanted to sign, but was 3 including Hargreaves? I dont think so and wouldnt be suprised if we sign a striker this week.

SAF said he will have to make some tough decisions. I wouldnt be suprised to see Giggs leave next season, i think Scholes has another 2 good season in him and would be very, very suprised if was sold or let go in the summer.
    If either Smith or Saha were to be sold because of their lack of ability to hold the ball up, then surely Saha should be the one to go. When he is 100% fit and match sharp, saha is good at holding the ball up; but saha is rarely 100% fit and match sharp. when he ain't on top of his game, he has the first touch of a wall.

saha stayed injury free from january to december in 2006 and scored 26 goals. that shows that if his head is right and he is fit, then he has a massive part to play in uniteds team. ferguson rates him very highly, and i hope he really does stay cos united play great stuff with him in the team. he can definately top 20 goals if he plays 40-50 games. smith, i cant see him hitting more that 7 or 8 in that same set up,. rossi has potential to hit 15 goals this season, but cant see him getting enough starts. ole will, barring injuries get his usual 10-15 goals. rooney to hit 20-25. so with ronaldo, nani, giggs, park, carrick, vidic, anderson and o shea(!!), we can score even more goals that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

bolton would look for £8 million for anelka, i dont think he is worth that and i dont think united would pay that. its a strange one. maybe fergie will be happy with rossi coming in and the same forward line as last season, which aint too bad, i still think we are stronger in the striker department that any other team in the premiership at the moment.

richardson is a waste of space, end of story!

if, like a lot of people here are saying that Smith's days are numbered is true .Maybe Bolton would be interested in a Smith for Anelka deal. both teams could benefit as i think Smith the type of player that would suit bolton, and although Anelka track record isn't inspiring Fergie's record of man managing troublesome player's is excellent, Rossi must return next season ,another season on loan is just pointless IMO, same with Pique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Am I the only one that would like to see smith stay there? I htink he offers us a great otpion against the more physical teams and he's a very good finisher. Saha, although a better striker is too unpredictable with injuries and if it's a straight choice between the 2 I think smith should stay

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement