Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

So I like Tool

• 19-05-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I like Tool. I'm looking for recommendations for similar bands to listen to. Fiirst i'm thinking A Perfect ircle as it has Maynard in it, Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

A Perfect Circle and Nine Inch Nails are the ones that spring immediately to mind. On a softer side the new Rush album is amazing and has some similar qualities to Tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6SZZv91_w

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Maynard James Keenan sang on a Deftones song called Passenger from their White Pony album. Check it out if you havent already, the whole album is brilliant anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

you could check out some of their influences (King Crimson, Yes, Rush) & touring buddies (Meshuggah, Isis, Melvins), etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Have you listened to much Soundgarden, their kinda tool like, another band with the odd time signatures and epic progyness of Tool but not the metal would be The Mars Volta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Secretpint

ISIS would be the way to go, check out their latest album In the Absence of Truth, ver tool influences and in reverse their sound was a big influence on 10,000 days..........

theyre playing TBMC on Wednesday, go if you can:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Meshuggah - heavier and harder than Tool, really good. I'm not sure who else I might recommend aling a similar vein, it's not a branch of metal I climb on a lot :)

Isis - the other way, they're very chilled (sludge metal?) and maybe not as off the walls with their timing, but a great band. Pelican are also worth mentioning as are Ireland's own Ten Past Seven for similar stuff.

[aside]
    Someone mentioned White Pony above there for the song Maynard does on it. EVERYONE should own that album, it is possibly the greatest album on this earth. There is a song for every mood or occasion. I believe this album will bring about world peace...
    [/aside]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

last.fm is a good starting point http://www.last.fm/music/Tool
    check out the 'similar artists' on the left there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Mudvayne, Isis, deftones and all the other people have mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Kharn wrote:
    [aside]
    Someone mentioned White Pony above there for the song Maynard does on it. EVERYONE should own that album, it is possibly the greatest album on this earth. There is a song for every mood or occasion. I believe this album will bring about world peace...[/aside]

Actually....no - the worlds greatest album is this on right here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Failure were touring buddies of tools. Maynard was a massive fan of thiers and did a few songs with them, great band. Also failure & tool teamed up to record the replicants album, an album of covers that had some quality songs on it like destination unknown, dirty work, etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Katatonia's newer stuff sounds quite similar to Tool, try them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Also, for a punkier/hardcorier (if that's not a word, then I've just invented a new word ;)) but similarily fruity with timing etc, check out Converge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hehe the title of the thread looks like the OP is confessing a dirty secret. Anyways if we are talking about tour mates, Mastodon played with Tool on the last tour, in Dublin at any rate. Also a band who likes funny time changes, downtuning and general proginess. Oh how I love Mastodon.

(and Kharn, the term you were looking for was "more hardcore" :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Neurosis are worth checking out. Especially if you like Isis considering they're a straight Neurosis clone (but without the really cool freakout interludes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Gojira..............a lot heavier but soooooooooooooo good..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

^ Gojira are great, but they dont really have anything in common with Tool

They are very progressive and there are some similarities. Both very melodic and....and......bloody good.........

Anyway..............Deftones, Peach (their one album is great), NIN, Perfect Circle, hmmmmm Im sure Ill think of a few more later. Try the Pandora project. they recommend songs/artists based on the type of music you listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Try Porcupine Tree.Similarish in that they have a bit of a prog rock feel.
    The new album "Fear Of A Blank Planet" is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Moojuice wrote:
    Try the Pandora project. they recommend songs/artists based on the type of music you listen to.

closed to non US users i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Others: Boris, Melvins, Jesu, SUNNO))).

• Advertisement

Morf wrote:
    closed to non US users i'm afraid

Really? Last itme I used it I had no issues....but that was a few months ago.

go here:
    http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html

then you can access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

a lot of similar bands have already been mentioned; a perfect circle, isis, meshuggah, neurosis.

try the band 'Esoterica'. to me they sound like a perfect circle meets tool.
    they have one album that i know of, its called 'the fool'.

google them and have a listen on their website :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Den_M wrote:
    Maynard James Keenan sang on a Deftones song called Passenger from their White Pony album.

True :)
    Den_M wrote:
    their White Pony album...the whole album is brilliant anyway.

False :(

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree, like Kharn said earlier there's a song on there for any occasion and it's easily the Deftones best album. It knocked me out back in 2001 and I still play it regularly now, there isn't one weak track and Pink Maggit (sic) at the end is an amazing album closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Check out Oceansize , theyre like Tool meets the Smashing Pumpkins. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Den_M wrote:
    Afraid I'm going to have to disagree, like Kharn said earlier there's a song on there for any occasion and it's easily the Deftones best album. It knocked me out back in 2001 and I still play it regularly now, there isn't one weak track and Pink Maggit (sic) at the end is an amazing album closer.

Agreed, White Pony is a classic and completely stands out in the Deftones back catalogue (I like them and all but White Pony is light years ahead of the rest of their stuff).

John wrote:
    Agreed, White Pony is a classic and completely stands out in the Deftones back catalogue (I like them and all but White Pony is light years ahead of the rest of their stuff).

Point taken, but I feel that White Pony is light years different than their back catalogue. I would not say light years ahead.

Elite and Passenger are, to me, the only two acceptable songs on the entirety of White Pony. I will also point out that Passenger is only included because I think MJK does a good job and Elite because its similar to Rickets from ATF.

I hated White Pony when it came out, and I have gone back to the Deftones a few times over the past few years and its the one album I just cannot stand. Digital Queen, RX Carp, Knife Party... I just do not like this music.

Thats just this guys opinion obviously.

I havent heard their newest album.

Kharn wrote:
    Meshuggah - heavier and harder than Tool, really good. I'm not sure who else I might recommend aling a similar vein, it's not a branch of metal I climb on a lot :)

Isis - the other way, they're very chilled (sludge metal?) and maybe not as off the walls with their timing, but a great band. Pelican are also worth mentioning as are Ireland's own Ten Past Seven for similar stuff.

[aside]
    Someone mentioned White Pony above there for the song Maynard does on it. EVERYONE should own that album, it is possibly the greatest album on this earth. There is a song for every mood or occasion. I believe this album will bring about world peace...
    [/aside]
    White Pony is a great album, pity the deftones havent kkept that level on all their other albums, theyre not bad but pale in comparison to WP.

As for the OP, if u want the time change flow sound with heavier influences then check out Mudvayne or Opeth and if u prefer lighter listening while keeping it prog then check out Rush or the Mars Volta.

Another good band to check out for prog fans is Ayreon. Theyre dutch and very good if you're into the heavier stuff.

I havent heard Isis, must give them a listen......any recommended listening?

Froot wrote:
    Point taken, but I feel that White Pony is light years different than their back catalogue. I would not say light years ahead.

Elite and Passenger are, to me, the only two acceptable songs on the entirety of White Pony. I will also point out that Passenger is only included because I think MJK does a good job and Elite because its similar to Rickets from ATF.

I hated White Pony when it came out, and I have gone back to the Deftones a few times over the past few years and its the one album I just cannot stand. Digital Queen, RX Carp, Knife Party... I just do not like this music.

Thats just this guys opinion obviously.

I havent heard their newest album.

Most people I know who are Deftones fans agree that White Pony is their best work.

• Advertisement

Isis are (supposedly) "Avantgarde Doom Metal". If you like the vocals but want it heavier then go for a more hardcore metal band like Snub or to a lesser extent Vision Of Disorder. Snub are great.

Have a listen to Kyuss also.

Most people I know who are Deftones fans agree that White Pony is their best work.

I also spoke with these people and they said your a liar. :)

Advertisement