Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Night - wtf?

• 19-05-2007 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Alreet, just got xbox 360 and a couple of games. I was looking forward to fight night the most because I'm interested in boxing and had fight night 2004 for the original xbox which was class.

But Fight Night Round 3 is so bad compared to it. It seems like it's almost in slow motion and if someone blocks one of your punches ye sort of freeze for ages, not being able to lean back or dodge.

Half the punches barely tap your opponents face while some of the same punches sometimes nearly knock a guys head off. I read a few reviews praising it which led me to believe it was good but it feels real clunky and slow.

Also, I am aware that it is a boxing simulator but this is taking the piss. Fight night 2004 had it perfect, this is bollox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

have you tried it against another human player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Couldn't agree more. One game EA should have left alone.(along with Tiger Woods) First in the series was spot on,controls didn't have this delay sorta feel to them. I played the original on the PS2,loved it, then got a demo of the next instalment had hated the feel it had. The controls just didn't feel as good as the original.
    I had a go with the 360 demo,although better then FN2 it still didn't feel right,so I thought the full release might be better but no.Maybe people that like the current offering didn't play the first in the series but anyone that did must notice the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

have you tried it against another human player?

Yeah that was the first thing I did. I've tried to play it so much but I just can't enjoy it. I think you're right tax man, people who haven't played the older versions would probably be more likely to like this.

I was never into boxing games but a mate of mine has tried any boxing game that got a ps2 release and it's Fight Night that won hands down for him. We had countless bouts,I'd be swinging for the fences but at least it felt right. Even my limited boxing skill, but more gaming feel, it just didn't sit right with anything past the first release. Hopefully this won't dampen your look upon the 360 which I'm delighted getting. Poor aul Xbox and ps2 are dust magnets at this stage.

Hopefully this won't dampen your look upon the 360 which I'm delighted getting. Poor aul Xbox and ps2 are dust magnets at this stage.

It dampens it a bit as it was one of the big reasons for getting one, I just can't understand how a team of game developers can go from fight night 2004, to the current fight night and think it's an improvement. It is completely not fun, maybe they made it a tiny bit more realistic but who cares if it was not exactly how boxer's fought. This is painful to play.

However, I like the look of saints row and gears of war. Haven't played ghost recon yet (one more college exam to go).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

ea are just too realistic fight night is probably the best example but fifa is another. not a bit fun, too bloodly hard and way too realistic

get gears of war great. if you want a soccer game get pro evo and get pgr or test drive if you want a driving game or wait for forza to come out.

Oman wrote:
    ea are just too realistic fight night is probably the best example but fifa is another. not a bit fun, too bloodly hard and way too realistic

get gears of war great. if you want a soccer game get pro evo and get pgr or test drive if you want a driving game or wait for forza to come out.

Thinkin about pickin up pgr3 soon enough as it's probably pretty cheap. And apparently forza is like the holy grail of racing games so I will probably invest in that when it comes out.
    I already have pro evo for pc (6th one is close to perfect).

I think when EA are brainstorming for updates to a franchise like fight night they must be sitting around saying things like "A boxer could never do that, let's slow him down some more." and "A boxer could never dodge right after throwing a punch, let's slow him down some more".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fight Night Round 3 is a brilliant game.
    I've had all three incarnations, and Round 3 is by far the best.
    Do you use the sticks, or buttons to punch?

In the earlier games anyone who could bash a button could win, but with Round 3 that won't work.

You need to master leaning, blocking, and punching, otherwise you might as well not bother playing.
    Especially on Live.

Pick up the game, and play through the career mode for an hour or so, and you can't help getting the hang.

Once you have the gist of it, it won't feel in anyway slow, and it gives you so much control.

I've had some great fights with friends, and on Live.

Fight Night Round 3 is a brilliant game.
    I've had all three incarnations, and Round 3 is by far the best.
    Do you use the sticks, or buttons to punch?

In the earlier games anyone who could bash a button could win, but with Round 3 that won't work.

You need to master leaning, blocking, and punching, otherwise you might as well not bother playing.
    Especially on Live.

Pick up the game, and play through the career mode for an hour or so, and you can't help getting the hang.

Once you have the gist of it, it won't feel in anyway slow, and it gives you so much control.

I've had some great fights with friends, and on Live.

Oddly enough, I was playing it last night and as I became more used to it (it was such a difference from previous fight nights) it started to grow on me and now I like it alot. It is a lot more tactical, and I'm finding blocking a bit hard (dodging is grand) but all in all I'm feeling better about it than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Ive had all the Fight Nights too and I definitely think Round 3 is the best. As was said, theres an awful lot more strategy needed, no more just haymakering all the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That slowness you're seeing is because your stats aren't high enough. Play the career for a while to get them up and you'll see a huge difference. Also, that inability to block or dodge when you've thrown a haymaker, is because you didn't hit your target. A failed haymaker gives your opponent a window to land a very strong counter punch, so only throw haymakers when you're sure they will hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

What??
    FN03 is one of the best boxing games around. Once you figure out how to use total punch control it clicks. The graphics are still great looking, the gameplay is class, especially with a few friends, online was hilarious at times, my only complaint about the game was the lack of varied commentary.

DarkJager wrote:
    That slowness you're seeing is because your stats aren't high enough. Play the career for a while to get them up and you'll see a huge difference. Also, that inability to block or dodge when you've thrown a haymaker, is because you didn't hit your target. A failed haymaker gives your opponent a window to land a very strong counter punch, so only throw haymakers when you're sure they will hit.

Well I noticed the slowness first game I played with oscar de la hoya. And I wasn't throwing haymakers when the freeze happened after punches. It was just regular hooks. As I said before it just took a bit of getting used to because of the massive difference between it and the old fight night I was playing. I am enjoying it a lot now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It takes a bit of getting used to, but its so worth it when you play against friends and demolish them without taking a single punch!

Well I noticed the slowness first game I played with oscar de la hoya. And I wasn't throwing haymakers when the freeze happened after punches. It was just regular hooks. As I said before it just took a bit of getting used to because of the massive difference between it and the old fight night I was playing. I am enjoying it a lot now :)

That happens when your punches are parried.
    If the opponent manages to parry, you're off balance for a few seconds while you recover.

Glad to hear you're getting thehang of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I just got the game over the weekend and I find it to be great game getting broadband in so online should be some fun.
    But I was wondering do you find using the sticks that much better I just can really get a grip of it and use config 3 and to use the stun punches etc that when I only use the sticks am I missing out on much ?

james

I just got the game over the weekend and I find it to be great game getting broadband in so online should be some fun.
    But I was wondering do you find using the sticks that much better I just can really get a grip of it and use config 3 and to use the stun punches etc that when I only use the sticks am I missing out on much ?

james

You're missing out on half of the game TBH.
    When you use the buttons, you have no control over the speed/strength of the punches.
    With the sticks you can control so much better. You can throw haymakers, or quick jabs with the flick of your thumb!
    I've always used the sticks, so it's second nature to me, but I have a few friends who can't use them, and refuse to put in the effort to learn.

I just beat them over, and over again though, cause you can control your pouches so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

You're missing out on half of the game TBH.
    When you use the buttons, you have no control over the speed/strength of the punches.
    With the sticks you can control so much better. You can throw haymakers, or quick jabs with the flick of your thumb!
    I've always used the sticks, so it's second nature to me, but I have a few friends who can't use them, and refuse to put in the effort to learn.

I just beat them over, and over again though, cause you can control your pouches so much better.

You can use buttons and sticks though, which I think is the best way, you the sticks when you want to have control over your punches and then the buttons for quick combos... think its config 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Are you all serious? Its one of the best and most fun games out there. Get a few friends around and it becomes really intense. Try the lighter weight categories for a better fight. The heavy weights are boring and too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Just picked it up yesterday.
    I sucked at the demo, as anyone I played used config 3 and just belted those buttons, but after a few games in career mode im finding the stick very handy, never need to touch the buttons and im getting in a good few jabs

• Advertisement

Hmmm...might give this game another look so. I just loved the first edition so much and how it felt straight out of the box. I know over time you'll get your stats up but even with very low stats on FN1 it still seemed playable.

DING DING....seconds out.:D

Hmmm...might give this game another look so. I just loved the first edition so much and how it felt straight out of the box. I know over time you'll get your stats up but even with very low stats on FN1 it still seemed playable.

DING DING....seconds out.:D

Give the game a small bit of time, and it'll hook you in more than the other Fight Nights combined!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Well if anyone wants to go a couple of rounds anytime, let me know. Havent played much online cos I tended to get a hammering... but that was a while ago

GT: colmise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

well if anyone wants to flog their copy to me, pm me! I cant seem to find a copy anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Trilla wrote:
    well if anyone wants to flog their copy to me, pm me! I cant seem to find a copy anywhere

29.99 in smyths.

29.99 in smyths.

Ah pants, I payed €39.99 in Game(omni sc) on Saturday. A few copies still in shop old and new if that's any help Trilla.

Advertisement