Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good old phones?

• 19-05-2007 9:10pm

Can anyone recommend a few good old phones from yesteryear that I might be able to buy on eBay cheap as chips? For example the Nokia 7110, which was very expensive at its time, is available for around only €20 on eBay.

Also the Siemens SL45, which if I'm right was the first phone with an mp3 player and was very expensive at its time, is available cheap too.

These are only two I know and I fell out of touch with mobile phone scene for a long time. Any other ones?

Reason is I'm looking for a phone for someone and they don't need cameras, bluetooth, picture messaging etc. Just a good battery and performance....thanks for any replies guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had one of the first 7110's as I worked in the trade at the time. It was not reliable, and even though it was advertised as the 'Matrix' Phone, it wasn't. The phone in the Matrix was an 8110i modified to have an spring release slide. We had issues with the roller in the middle packing up, microphones on the slide not transmitting, and countless display issues.

One of the best phones ever invented was Nokias 6310i, in fact, it was so popular, they still make it. BMW even sell it through their Parts Department it was that reliable.

Indeed..I was going to say I picked up one of those Nokia 7110's on eBay cheap and was hugely disappointed....I'll have a search for the Nokia 6310 thanks! I'm really looking to pick up a phone that was hugely expensive at its time and is available cheap today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Indeed..I was going to say I picked up one of those Nokia 7110's on eBay cheap and was hugely disappointed....I'll have a search for the Nokia 6310 thanks! I'm really looking to pick up a phone that was hugely expensive at its time and is available cheap today.

Yes, 6210 and 6310i. I am still using 2 x 6210s to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

If your wanting something for rock solid battery life its hard to beat the ericsson R520m. I remember getting full week (including use) out of those with the standard battery. With the extended version it could go on forever. The T39 had the same type of endurance and was smaller. They could also tell you how long they were going to last for, with a battery estimate for standby and talktime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A lot of business people use the 6210i still. Battery life, call quality etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

neilled wrote:
    If your wanting something for rock solid battery life its hard to beat the ericsson R520m. I remember getting full week (including use) out of those with the standard battery. With the extended version it could go on forever. The T39 had the same type of endurance and was smaller. They could also tell you how long they were going to last for, with a battery estimate for standby and talktime!

Ah, the 520! The original Road Warrior and Psioneer's mobile. God be with the days.

You guys must be dead right about the 6210 and 6310i phones....they're going for competitive prices on eBay.

There's an irish seller of the 6310i's and its going for at least €80 in the nearest ending auction. Not as cheap as I was hoping for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SL45 - horrible, avoid it.

Really? I found only positive reviews! Anyone know about getting it unlocked?

Advertisement