Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mausers?

Options
  • 19-05-2007 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Anybody have a mauser know about them, obviously they are a very well made rifle, but how do they handle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Assume you mean a K98 type ?
    Well it's a design that has stood the time test.Most of our bolt actions can trace their roots back to it.
    It handles INMHO like a big piece of pipe!It is accurate within it's limits,and for what it is,and has a long ol bolt travel/throw,compared to a Lee Enfield.

In ww1 it was said the Germans came with a target rifle,the Americans with a hunting rifle and the British with a battle rifle.Kind of says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

;)
    Well it's a design that has stood the time test.Most of our bolt actions can trace their roots back to it.
    It handles INMHO like a big piece of pipe!It is accurate within it's limits,and for what it is,and has a long ol bolt travel/throw,compared to a Lee Enfield.

In ww1 it was said the Germans came with a target rifle,the Americans with a hunting rifle and the British with a battle rifle.Kind of says it all.

Wasnt it the other way round? The the Germans had the best hunting rifle and the Americans the best target rifle (ie m1903 Springfield).

The British were so impressed with the Mauser action that they intended on getting rid of the daft old Lee Enfield only a few years after its introduction. The resulting weapons were the P1914 and the American version the P1917, with the outtbreak of the war, the trials stopped, the LE was put into production overdrive and proved its effectiveness 'on the field' so to speak. The P14's and 17's were produced in small quantities and issued to Home Guard during WW2.

Mausers are one of the oldest effective bolt actions still in use, they were considered the oldest bolt actions still in use (until some Lee Enfields showed up with 1980's date! :p ....yay, go Lee Enfield) so it has a competitor. The Mauser action cocks on opening, and from what I've heard is a little difficult to get used to, as well as its over complicated ejection mech. But it must have some good points to have lasted so long ;)

Wasnt it the other way round? The the Germans had the best hunting rifle and the Americans the best target rifle (ie m1903 Springfield).
    Cest possible!:o But I wouldnt think the Mauser the quickest reloader for rapid follow up shots on game either,
    The British were so impressed with the Mauser action that they intended on getting rid of the daft old Lee Enfield only a few years after its introductio
    n.

Dunno why..The Germans in the first months of WW1 thought they were going up against machine gun fire from the Lee Enfields in volley fire.That is the LE seller point it's rapid bolt action.
    The Mauser action cocks on opening, and from what I've heard is a little difficult to get used to, as well as its over complicated ejection mech. But it must have some good points to have lasted so long ;)
    [/QUOTE]
    Like the Enfield action it is solid,and can be adapted to multiple calibres.Just that i'ts bolt throw/travel is very long and takes some getting used to,as well as it's three position flag saftey on the bolt rear.

Dunno why..The Germans in the first months of WW1 thought they were going up against machine gun fire from the Lee Enfields in volley fire.That is the LE seller point it's rapid bolt action.

The trials started in 1913 for the new rifle based on the Mauser action and calibre, at that stage the LE needed a major conflict to prove itself, which it did.

Rapid fire, watch this guy, you'd be forgiven for thinking he doesnt cycle the bolt at all he's so fast! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN-3n0FU

Oh, then compare it to this guys attempt at rapid fire........I'd imagine standing by the targets was the safest place to be that day :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNfcta9kzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

The Mauser bolt action is a lot like the wheel.
    Some things just don’t need improving. (much)

• Advertisement

That is fast work on a bolt action.:D :eek:
    BTW I cruised around some boards.Irish pattern L Enfields in the wrapper are selling in the States for around $500. Gotta be cheaper out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Doesnt the mauser action hold up better with the forward locking lugs?
    Supposedly theres less unsupported bolt under compressive stress compared to the middle locking LE with its funny shaped big lug little lug.

The British called for rof over marksmanship, the shorter action on the LE meant the average rifleman could shoot an average 12-15 rpm when everyone else was struggling under the 10 mark.

Does that saying mention anything about what the French brought?:D

That is fast work on a bolt action.:D :eek:
    BTW I cruised around some boards.Irish pattern L Enfields in the wrapper are selling in the States for around $500. Gotta be cheaper out there.

Irish contract in mummy wrap for $500.......thats sound like the going price for any No4 in the wrap, let alone an Irish contract.
    kowloon wrote:
    Doesnt the mauser action hold up better with the forward locking lugs?
    Supposedly theres less unsupported bolt under compressive stress compared to the middle locking LE with its funny shaped big lug little lug.

Thats true, but it never caused any issues of concern, the bolt locking lugs remained the same on the No4 and No5, No6, 2A and all other variantions in between. Less lug means less to unlock + less weight = faster action.

Wish my connection was fast enough for youtube to work.

Problem with private sellers in the states is they can easily sell it there, why bother with the hassle of dealing with us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

i think the French just used white flags:eek: ,saves a load of hassle

i think the big advantage of the SMLE is/was the clip feed.this is a good link too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck66O0osLhQ&mode=related&search=

• Advertisement

Problem with private sellers in the states is they can easily sell it there, why bother with the hassle of dealing with us.....[/QUOTE]

Use the "Ol Irish charm "bit.:D
    Seriously tho ,it isnt a hassle either,they just do it thru a FFL dealer to dealer transfer.
    WE have the most hassle,in finding the rifle,paying the owner for the gun,[if he wants to sell],his time, our time in getting the liscense issued,the FFL dealer transfer to a FFL dealer who can ship to the EU.[ETSS in CO is who I use].Pay ETSS for their work in getting the export and Fed paperwork and courier company.Collect in a major airport in Ireland,pay Irish customs due,[so you would be better off with a "used rifle" to avoid stupid high revenue prices.]
    Not saying it is easy,but I would prefer to do it this way than be robbed blind by our own here for somthing while it is exclusive, isnt totally rare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

No actually im looking at their new rifles specifically the Mauser M03 Extreme Match

heres a link
    http://www.mauserwaffen.de/M-03-Extreme.249.0.html?&L=1

I have looked at the K98k but to get it is too much hassle for e im commited but its just a pain in the arse at that stage!!

Hmmm,so you are buying a classic Mauser 98 action with a short barrel in a plastic stock?? Go for it! It looks like a sturdy bit of kit,and will work.
    All it is is a old tested technology packaged in a new shell.
    [Somwhat like Landrovers,except the Mauser will work better.:D ]
    See all above comments on various Bolt actions which still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

A friend of mine in Germany just bought this K98k refitted as .308 win.
    It is in perfect condition, all numbers matching and he got it for 500 Euro.

He's working on fitting a Frankonia replica side mount for a scope. Would be very interested to see it when it is finished.

Here is the rifle he bought:

k98knor.jpg

I can't stop drooling, I definitely go for a K98k next time if I get the all clear on it from the Super. Also need a range to use it on but that can wait. At the mean time I use the K98 Kleinkaliber Wehrsport Replika in .22 (Trainer). It even has a bayonet mount like the original and the original bayonets fit. Just got a high mounted Luger scope for it and will sight it properly the next couple of weekends.

Best,
    Preusse

That looks an amzing K98 your mate has Preusse. I believe a lot of K98's were captured by the Russians at the end of the war, overhauled and put into storage. This 'overhaul' however involved a nasty finish being applied to the timber. Not sure if the barrels were reworked to allow for Russian ammo or not.

Hi croppyboy,

yes, the Russian overworked ones are brutal, even as deactivated rifles.

These .308 have been kept by the Norwegians and refitted but all the stamps have been left in place bar an extra stamp (HAEN I believe) which doesn't really matter. The barrels are perfectly clean. Another country that used K98's with refitted barrels is Israel. You get some nice ones sometimes but the stamps have been mostly erased. ;)

I'd love one in .308 and with a replica side mounted scope it should be even good for competitions. :)

Best,
    Preusse

Preusse,
    There is a whole article on the K98 in 308 in this months German gun mag Visier. [If you dont have,I can scan and send up to you.[Send me your email.]
    It involves a rebarreling to 308,and is pretty reasonable price and is becoming quite a big hit in Germany. Price ASFIK with rifle and rebarrel 1000Euros.
    Would prefer myself a G41 or an MP44!!

Is the Wehrsport kk a single or multi shot?

Hi Clare Gunner,

yes, I heard about the article. Don't have it myself. If you can send a copy that would be great. Will send you a PM.

That is true, the .308 win is getting quite a big following for that rifle. I know you can get them cheaper than 1000 Euro if you know where to look for.

The Wehrsport KK comes with a 5 round mag and you can also get a 9/10 round mag apparently. The original trainer KKW is single shot though. The 5 round one (a Norinco clone) comes with dove tails (11 mm). Will post some pics of mine later.

You can get a MP44 and even a Steyr Solothurn MP34 refitted and adapted for collectors and hunters (only fits 10 rounds for collectors and 2 rounds for hunters) changed to semi-automatic. Dittrich does them as some other people I believe. Quite expensive but worth it if you want to keep the gun in a working condition.

Best,
    Preusse

See the new ones from Dittrich?The FG42 paratrooper rifle,the MP38 and the Sov ppsh41 .All in semi auto.Wonder how our Supers will handle that lot ?:eek: :D

Im not too keen on all this refitting business,
    I suppose its better than deact though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

newby.204 wrote:
    Anybody have a mauser know about them, obviously they are a very well made rifle, but how do they handle?

I'm lucky enough to own an 98k still chambered in 7,92 mm - not in Ireland, needless to say ;)

From experience, they still handle better and are more precise than anything recent by Brnö or Männlicher or Ruger (models I've tried in recent years). Bagged myself a fox at well over 400 yards without a scope (admittedly, there wasn't much left of it :o ) some years back.
    BryanL wrote:
    i think the French just used white flags:eek: saves a load of hassle

... and the reason why I am this lucky, is because this particular 98k was 'acquired' from its dead previous owner by my Grand Dad, then a Lieutenant in the French army, during this little bit of white flag waving party (all in French, so get your Babel Fish working for ye) in which the French army gave quite a good account of itself, 'ta very much. France had the men, and maybe not the best equipment but enough of it, to win the battles at the coal face, they just never had the professional commanders/generals to attrite/slow down the Germans at all (I will readily acknowledge that winning the war in '40 was probably way out of question).

EDIT:
    kowloon wrote:
    Does that saying mention anything about what the French brought?:D

Nothing wrong with the MAS36 or the Lebel (the 98 was heavily inspired by the Lebel, actually, after the little matter of the 1870 Franco-Prussian war) :p

kowloon wrote:
    Im not too keen on all this refitting business,
    I suppose its better than deact though....

Cheaper ammo and easier on the shoulder as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

and easier on the shoulder as well.:D

You don't say! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Preusse,
    There is a whole article on the K98 in 308 in this months German gun mag Visier. [If you dont have,I can scan and send up to you.[Send me your email.]
    It involves a rebarreling to 308,and is pretty reasonable price and is becoming quite a big hit in Germany. Price ASFIK with rifle and rebarrel 1000Euros.
    Would prefer myself a G41 or an MP44!!

Is the Wehrsport kk a single or multi shot?

I had an israeli k98 that was in 308- the israelis bought them, took off the nazi insignia and rebarrelled them in 308, (cost 250 euro sold 6 months later for 200) I found it easier to shoot that the 7.9mm but the best mauser I had was a swedish 6.5 with a sporterised stock, very accurate and easy to shoot.

Traumadoc wrote:
    I had an israeli k98 that was in 308- the israelis bought them, took off the nazi insignia and rebarrelled them in 308, (cost 250 euro sold 6 months later for 200) I found it easier to shoot that the 7.9mm but the best mauser I had was a swedish 6.5 with a sporterised stock, very accurate and easy to shoot.

Hi traumadoc,

yes, the Israeli Mausers are still around just not in big numbers. The Swedish Mausers are very nice and you find usually a couple of them on offer every months. Good condition, too.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

ah ambro, i wasn't giving them too much abuse,they did show up in Bantry

... and the reason why I am this lucky, is because this particular 98k was 'acquired' from its dead previous owner by my Grand Dad, then a Lieutenant in the French army, during this little bit of white flag waving party

there a .303 in my family that was "acquired " in Cork in a similar way

Bryan

BryanL wrote:

there a .303 in my family that was "acquired " in Cork in a similar way

Bryan

Hmmm......aquired in a similar way? So taken from the hands of a dead British soldier or a tan after some ambush or the likes?

Please tell us more!

Advertisement