Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket close to a sink

Options
  • 19-05-2007 11:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I'm putting in sockets into my kitchen, and was wondering if there is some regulation about putting a socket near a sink? How close can it be?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't know about regulations but I'd be inclined to keep them about a metre apart. But if you have or may have kids, and they like splashing water as much as mine do, then you don't want them to be too close. And you don't want to have splash-proof sockets in your kitchen - they don't look nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Is it in the cabinet under the sink? It is allowed but the sink should be bonded, 2.5 earth cable bonding the sink to the earth terminal in the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

No regulations but common sense must dictate here,agree with dilbert at least 1m is needed.
    Your sink should be earth bonded already, if not do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

when doing electrical work for the council they have a rule that you should not be able to touch the sink and touch a socket at the same time. With these pokey private developments some sockets are installed nearly on top of the taps.
    Its good practice to keep it arms distance from the sink as the sink will be earthed (if it's not it needs to be both cross bonded and earthed regardless) and you could become part of the circuit for a fault current if there was an issue at the socket.

Advertisement