Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

civic coupe 1.6 96

Options
  • 19-05-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

well have my eye set on one at the moment, it wil be my first car, but i would like to get a little information on what peoples opinions are. Basically the car itself is in great condition timing belt shocks NCT have been sorted, but one huge thing is milage it has 127k miles one it, which putting it moderatly is alot,im gonna check it out and bring a mechanic along just for safety. What i really want to know is the milage issue enough to put anyine off, or could it be a small issue. By the way its €4500. Please give me your own opinions i really want this car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Here is one for 4k and with low milage and you can bargain abit
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=660831

Here is one for 5k with brand new nct with 78k
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=615324

Or even this one, and it looks nice
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=629127

I think theres much more choice then the one you seen as its got higer milage

Here is a 1998 for less than 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

yeah that last ones not too bad, but max im goin for is €4500, you think im throwin my money away with the whole milage thing?

weedhead wrote:
    yeah that last ones not too bad, but max im goin for is €4500, you think im throwin my money away with the whole milage thing?
    Yeah you will have a problem with the high milage when you go to sell it.Look on carzone just for average prices.Theres room to bargain and even pay upto 4700-4800 for a higher year and lower milage car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

@OP - Ive a 1999 black 1.6i Ls with only 59000miles on it, nct`d til Dec 2008, they all have the same spec as the vti`s inside, air/con, sunroof/ centre armrest / e/lwindows, heated mirrors, etc...
    My car is standard enginewise, has the Si spoiler thats off the american newer coupe and 15" Rota alloys(I might be keeping the alloys), genuine honda jdm foglights, thats pretty much it. Has some service history and oil changed every 6000miles without fail. New front brake pads about 1500miles ago. Ive type r lip kit i can throw in and angel eye headlights with blue bulb rings too if wanted.

There a nice car to drive by the way, but im biased.

Im looking around E6500ish ono considering the mileage, year, nct, and the fact its a genuine civic and not a boy racer mobile.

You could drive my car for a year, put 10-15000miles on it and it`ll still be very sellable/reliable at 75000miles then. So the extra bit in purchase price now may cancel out the saving you make on the older/higher miler car regards replacing bits and then the hassle of selling it. Most people change their 1st car after a yr or little bit later so the selling on factor is worth considering. Sure reply here or Pm me if your interested. Any inspection welcome, feel free to bring a mechanic. I can get you more pics if required.

cheers Nuttzy thats a nice motor you got there but €5000 is as much as i can go, i might just keep window shoppin as drdre said and wait for the similar spec to come with lower milage, but i would love to get the car i mentioned if it didnt have that feckin milage, but sure ill bring the mchanic out and see, kinda know what his answer will be though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Yeah, no problem, im afraid the lowest I could go would be E6000 with the standard honda wheels.

The civic you linked to above is nice, i wouldnt be too worried about the mileage reliability wise, its a Honda and they`re built to last, the main thing with mileage is selling it on but make sure you get a good deal if buying a high mileage car so that you wont lose out too much when you do go to sell it.

Just for your own interest, i average 280miles from a tank, they have a small enough tank, 40Litres approx. I get about 32-36mpg average, but most of my driving is on motorway and I dont be in town driving much at all. They`re ok on petrol basically :)

Best of luck with whatever you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All the prices mentioned are ridiculously high imho. Then again, a price is the equilibrium of supply and demand, so if someone is willing to pay it, so be it!

well honestly, i want to get as much opions here as possible. Yes the milage is high but what it lacks in some areas it makes up for in others. If it were the case i was going to sell it it would probably be about a year after the purchase, and i may have to lose out on about €1000. What you think? im really not that much familiar with these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

op, go to england or the north and get a vti coupe

forget the ones here, either over priced or boyracered and skangerised.

dont think it would increase your premium much but check it out, use a insurance crowd like britton or something.

i had one and they are a fine car.

legs11 wrote:
    op, go to england or the north and get a vti coupe

forget the ones here, either over priced or boyracered and skangerised.

dont think it would increase your premium much but check it out, use a insurance crowd like britton or something.

i had one and they are a fine car.

Yeah im thinking of getting one myself in the summer if i find a bargain :)
    Im not paying those prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

damn right

the civic vti coupe would give alot of 2 litre cars a good run for thier money. very underestimated car.

legs11 wrote:
    damn right

the civic vti coupe would give alot of 2 litre cars a good run for thier money. very underestimated car.

How much would you save if you bring one from uk.Is it really worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

drdre wrote:
    How much would you save if you bring one from uk.Is it really worth the hassle

between 1 and 2k

eireal wrote:
    between 1 and 2k

That sounds like its worth it.Every euro counts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have a 1997 1.6 Coupe Engine in my 3dr. Still going strong.

With mods I go through about €35-40 a week in petrol. Without the mods i'd say i'd do about €20-30 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

drdre wrote:
    All the prices mentioned are ridiculously high imho. Then again, a price is the equilibrium of supply and demand, so if someone is willing to pay it, so be it!

Exactly. I bought my '95 1.5 lsi coupe (black, completly stock, everything perfect, 104k miles) for 600 quid sterling .. though typically the 1.6 fetchs 1000-1200 here (uk).

Kali wrote:
    Exactly. I bought my '95 1.5 lsi coupe (black, completly stock, everything perfect, 104k miles) for 600 quid sterling .. though typically the 1.6 fetchs 1000-1200 here (uk).

No bad price but i wouldnt buy a car with that kind of milage.

so any web sites you reccomend for buyin in the north or england ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

127k isn't particularly high for an 11 year old car. I'd be more confident in a Honda with 100k than a European car with 40k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

This is your first car?

I take it your only 17 - 21 how much do you think your insurance is going to be on a 1.6 civic coupe?

For buying in the north or England www.autotrader.co.uk isnt a bad place to start.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    127k isn't particularly high for an 11 year old car. I'd be more confident in a Honda with 100k than a European car with 40k

Isnt the average 15,000 miles a year on a car?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:

i would have thought the average 96 would average 80-90k, its not whether it will stand the test that bothers me, im completely confident it will go a long time, its whethter i can sell a car with this amount of milage that im worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

somewhere like 15k p/a would be normal. 127k would be under average for a 96, in my opinion

insurance is €1500 on my own policy, im 21 by the way, nearly 5 years no claims

weedhead wrote:
    well have my eye set on one at the moment, it wil be my first car,

This car your buying is your first car but you have nearly 5 years no claim how does that work?

insurered under my parents cars

Oh right.

Autotrader Uk you need postcodes. Just search for ones up the north and have a look at http://www.comebuycars.co.uk

Hoops1888 wrote:
    Oh right.

Autotrader Uk you need postcodes. Just search for ones up the north and have a look at http://www.comebuycars.co.uk
    Thats a good site.Some nice cars like the ferrari 360 :D

Advertisement