Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Parking Offence

Options
  • 20-05-2007 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I had to go to an ATM earlier, parked the car on double yellow lines,(thought i'd be safe enough as it was 10pm and i would only be a minute at the atm) ran across the road to the atm, got back to the car, start the engine....beangarda knocks on the window and asks me "do you realise you are parked on a double yellow line". I just said that I had to run to the ATM, I was only 2 seconds.

She takes my licence, details etc into a notepad and said no more.

Does this mean I get a ticket in the post or what? How much will the fine be?

...There was a car parked behind me on double yellows and they got away with it...why me :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Silly bitch, you were easy pickings. Catching/hassling the scummers down the streets in their tracksuits would be too much effort.
    Whats this latest crack of gardai not telling you if your getting done or not, fookin joke if you ask me. They`re taking details and dont tell you what they`re going to do, and if you ask what will happen they are known to even lie and say just a caution and then people get fines in the post couple weeks later. Theres been a few threads of such incidents on boards where this has happened. Are they allowed carry on like this, surely this is wrong? they probably realise how trivial the things they`re fining/hassling decent folk over and are afraid of a persons reaction when they tell them that they are "doing" them. So, people skills isnt a requirement for the gardai any more :rolleyes:

If you get omething in the post complain to the new ombudsman on the basis you wernt told you were being done for it and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

she just took your details and left without saying anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, if you've read any of the monster threads on speed cameras in this forum lately, you'd know that most posters here (but not all) are very happy to see rules being enforced. Double-yellow lines are there for a reason.

Just warning you that you'll get no sympathy here ;)

I can't advise on the fine but you'd won't get off-unless your surname is Ahern
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094674

How do you know the car behind got away with it? Maybe the garda was waiting on the driver to return. Or maybe they were going to ticket the car but stopped you first as you were about to drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nuttzy wrote:
    If you get omething in the post complain to the new ombudsman on the basis you wernt told you were being done for it and whatnot.

Dont forget to add in that they should have better things to do like catching real criminals. :rolleyes:

Jesus Nutzzy, this crap is getting real old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Stekelly wrote:
    Dont forget to add in that they should have better things to do like catching real criminals. :rolleyes:

Jesus Nutzzy, this crap is getting real old at this stage.
    So you think that guards leaving ordinary decent folk in bewilderment as to whether they`re being fined/summoned or whatever is ok, yeah? Would you have the same opinion if it happened to you, being told its just a warning only to get fines in the post?

And I sort of did say they should have better things to do catching real criminals when i said she couldnt be bother with deterring/hassling the scummers further down the street.

Being given points for parking on a double yellow at 10pm to run to an atm is pretty fookin trivial you have to admit! Or are you too politically correct to agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nuttzy wrote:
    Being given points for parking on a double yellow at 10pm to run to an atm is pretty fookin trivial you have to admit! Or are you too politically correct to agree with that.

I wouldnt agree with it tbh. Why is it anymore trivial than doing it at 10am, the law doesnt stop beign the law at night.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    And I sort of did say they should have better things to do catching real criminals when i said she couldnt be bother with deterring/hassling the scummers further down the street.

Ah right yeah,you got me there. I did miss the part of the op where he says that the gard was ignoring some sort of criminal offence beign commited by a scummer down the road.

Nuttzy wrote:
    So you think that guards leaving ordinary decent folk in bewilderment as to whether they`re being fined/summoned or whatever is ok, yeah? Would you have the same opinion if it happened to you, being told its just a warning only to get fines in the post?

Dont know, tbh I've never had a problem with a gard. Anytime I've had any dealings with them I've been polite and so have they. I honestly think you go into some sort of red rage when a gard has the gall to attempt to interact with you and you dotn hear half of what they say because your too busy ranting and muttering under your bredth about having better things to do and catching real criminals.

At what tier of the legal system do you think the gards should bother involving themsleves? Should everythign below Murders/Rapes/major drug barons be ignored as theres more serious crimes going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

micmclo wrote:
    How do you know the car behind got away with it? Maybe the garda was waiting on the driver to return. Or maybe they were going to ticket the car but stopped you first as you were about to drive away.

Because she got back into the squad car and drove away after she took my details.

draffodx wrote:
    she just took your details and left without saying anything?

Yes sir! Asked for my name, where I was from, asked for my license and took down my reg....then just walked off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jamieh wrote:
    Because she got back into the squad car and drove away after she gave me the ticket.

You say you don't know the offense-what exactly is written on your ticket?
    Edit: Did you get a ticket or not?
    Above you say you did but your first post states you didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

At the end of the day you parked on double yellow lines, why don't you get onto the bank for not providing parking for its customers when using the ATM, this country always moans about the police have you dealt with them in other countries not much better and if everybody obeyed the law including those who enforced it maybe things would run a bit smoother. New York brought in zero tolerance and it worked and they appiled that to everything so what would happen if it came in here. The Publicans are moaning about the loss in revenue because the police are doing loads of checkpoints so if everybody obeyed the laws which are there for a reason society might be alot better and criminals get tickets as well for parking I bet or alot worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

And yes you get the notice/ticket in the post

micmclo wrote:
    You say you don't know the offense-what exactly is written on your ticket?
    Edit: Did you get a ticket or not?
    Above you say you did but your first post states you didn't

Sorry, my last post was misleading.

When I said she gave me the ticket, I meant she took my details and stuff.

She didn't physically give me a ticket.

....Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

It didn't occur to you to ask her what was going to happen before she sent you on your way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The lines are there for a reason, why didn't you just park properly? I wouldn't block traffic like you did just because of sheer lazyness

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, what sort of Car were you driving and any mods to it? Personally, Id be pissed off I it happened to me, but NOT at the garda, at myself. As mentioned already, yellow lines are there for a reason. yes, it may seem harsh from the Garda at 10pm, BUT laws are laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Gardaí don't carry books of tickets anymore. They simply take your details and post you a notice later.

I rarely have much time for the Gardaí but on this occasion the garda was 100% right and you should accept your punishment. Dangerous parking puts pedestrians and other road users at risk and is inconsiderate.

I didn't get the chance to ask her what would happen. After she took the reg she just walked off and I wasn't going to follow her.

I wasn't blocking any traffic. It was in a square, the yellow line is at the edge of the square....it was only my front 2 wheels on the yellow line. I even passed the spot 3 times today and I saw 3 different cars parked there everytime I passed it.

I was just the fool to get caught. I admit I shouldn't have parked where I parked....but I wasn't blocking any traffic or peds what so ever. C'est la vie I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Even if you get a ticket, its only about 19 or 20 euro for a parking ticket I think, depending on the town or city. Probably not even worth the effort of taking few hours off work and driving to the district court to fight it. There are no points for a parking offense I believe. If you want, you could call into the cop station and ask what the story is, you may be able to reason with the guard.

In fairness, if it was 10pm at night, and you were only parked there for 5 mins, not blocking anyone, I don't see the problem. It would be different if it were 5pm in the day and you were causing traffic problems!

I wish some of the high horses would get off the board, I wonder how they type all their stuck up posts from all the way up on their moral high ground!:rolleyes: He was parking on double yellow lines for a few minutes, not doing donuts outside the local old folks home keeping them awake at night! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

double yellow lines are there for a reason to make revenue from people who are parked illegally but somehow it doesnt apply to government ministers whose driver is a garda. They can plong their Mercedes or Volvo or whatever on the double yellow line and get away with it and they have been doing that even before the double yellow line was put there in the first place. This is one promise that they dont keep after an election.............:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I know you didnt deserve it but just pay it and get over it.Theres not much you can do now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

G Luxel wrote:
    double yellow lines are there for a reason to make revenue from people who are parked illegally
    Yeah, right on!! That's exactly why they are there. They should get rid of them, then people could park on the roads and block traffic and when people need to get around they can just drive on the wrong side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

If somebody is too God damn lazy to park properly, by parking on double yellows then they fully deserve any ticket that comes his/her way. Fair play to the Garda on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If the double-yellers aren't suitable, you can always park in the disabled-spots :D

/sarcasm

S'what I see at <insert name of any shopping centre>

Advertisement