Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to create a foundation?

• 20-05-2007 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Could not find it on Google.ie, could anybody please point me out to the authority website/office that is in charge of registering foundations in Ireland ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean a charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Victor wrote:
    Do you mean a charity?

I mean form an association/foundation that would be a non-profit organisation in a particular domain (IT), but not charity.

Something like this http://www.iia.ie/, but nothing to do with them, but I guess they are a non-profit association.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I can not find anything about this anywhere in Ireland.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think such a thing exists as such. You could form a club or a company and have a trading name in front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Attreu

Ring Fergal in the IIA (www.iia.ie).

He is sound and would surely point you in the right direction.

It is hard to believe there would be no such thing in Ireland.
    Freedom to set up a association is even written in the Irish constitution :-)

What I want to set up is a non-profit organization and not a commercial entity, there are hundreds of charities in Ireland, which are sharing this very same legal framework : non-profit organization. So the question is "how can I actually form one?"

Google.ie, and other Irish websites such as citizeninformation...have strictly no information about this. I am really surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

what you're looking for is a non-profit company limited by guarantee i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

afaik, all charities (certainly those big enough to have staff) are registered as limited companies, with a share capital of something nominal like a euro.

This is course is a bit of a mess, with entities that are more interested in social profit than financial having to jump through the same euro-sized hoops as any regular business.

Some legislation on this area has been winding its way through the government... very, very slowly and they presented the bill to the Dail a few days before it was dissolved.

The current situation is here, but I think that the legislation will be rubber stamped by the next government, no matter which coalition wins.

Alright very good thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

(huge open ended question)
    while on the subject what is the difference between an

-association
    -foundation
    -society

Take the example of some medical condition, lets say acne
    you might have The Irish Acne Association, Irish Acne Foundation, Irish Acne Society

actually in Ireland you would raraly have a "Foundation", that must be an American thing

Advertisement