Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

si_guru wrote: »
    ...it's all welded and lead loaded

Thanks for the reply si.
    Can I ask what does lead loaded mean?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

http://freespace.virgin.net/tommy.sandham/leading.htm

I think FX4s were built this way too.

I spoke to the owner of a stunning burgundy DS420 once - wedding car.. but a nice one.. not an ex-funeral car sprayed white.. He had spent £2K (GBP) haing the paint "touched up"...

Also the spec can vary.. IIRC funeral cars being the lowest spec. What you want is an ex-embassy car.... or the Queen' mums old motor.

Thanks again si.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Hermy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply si.
    Can I ask what does lead loaded mean?

afaik lead loading is a form of repair / filling ... you will get a more comprehensive reply no doubt :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Those DS' were built until 1992, theres a 1991 model run my a wedding car company down here, looks odd with a '91 D reg. The black one above is shagged. Short oval for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Those DS' were built until 1992, theres a 1991 model run my a wedding car company down here, looks odd with a '91 D reg. The black one above is shagged. Short oval for that one.

Maybe that's the one I have seen in Tralee.. I know in the UK that 99% of the ones you see are on their last legs.. welded, sprayed and radweld'd for 10th time..

..but a nice one is stunning car.

I am watching that 81 motor on CandC for weeks.. looks nice.. has the traits of a looked after car.

Not sure Mrs Guru is so keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

There are very little early original Irish ones left in good condition, the early cars are far nicer in my opinion. The same can also be said for Austin Princess Limousines that came before them.

Theres a cracking photo of my own taken in front of Áras an Uachtaráin in the RTE stills archive. Link below.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/result.html?_IXDB_=default&_IXFIRST_=116&_IXSR_=JNPiXXmyynL&_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXACTION_=query&_IXSPFX_=templates/large_popup_&_IXFPFX_=templates/large_popup_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

ahal wrote: »
    afaik lead loading is a form of repair / filling ... you will get a more comprehensive reply no doubt :p
    Here ya go, a video is worth 10,000 words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upn_20rqGE4

invest4deepvalue.com

There are very little early original Irish ones left in good condition, the early cars are far nicer in my opinion. The same can also be said for Austin Princess Limousines that came before them.

Theres a cracking photo of my own taken in front of Áras an Uachtaráin in the RTE stills archive. Link below.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/result.html?_IXDB_=default&_IXFIRST_=116&_IXSR_=JNPiXXmyynL&_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXACTION_=query&_IXSPFX_=templates/large_popup_&_IXFPFX_=templates/large_popup_

Great pic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

mb1725 wrote: »
    curly.1a.l.jpeg

Trying to find the missing words ''Jaguar Mk10 stretch floorpan'' and ''British Leyland'' in any sentence. I used to see two 87 C limousines run by one of the undertakers. Is the abandoned car originally Irish....amazing it hasnt been vandalised considering it still has its wing mirrors....:)

That link isn't working for me.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    That link isn't working for me.:(

Didn't for me either but if you search the RTE archive for "French ambassadorial car outside Aras An Uachtarain (1977)" I'm guessing that is the correct photo.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Lead loading was where molten lead was used instead of filler to fill gaps and make repairs

It is a lost art now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

There's an old style body guy using lead at the start of this video:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

mb1725 wrote: »
    There's an old style body guy using lead at the start of this video:

Boyd Coddington, off topic but didn't he die ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yes he did, cause the reason I know is because we were made redundant a few days before, ::mad:.That Duane fella was a nasty piece of work:rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

dosent the term
    Lead Sled

refer to an old Hotrod thats had extensive panelwork

VolvoAmazonEstate.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

how rare is a volvo like that now???? looks like someone made a start to mod it....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

On anecdotal evidence, Amazon estates would seem to be 1 to every 10 of the saloons sold. In fact I've never even seen an Amazon estate ... but these cars still seem to turn up for banger races in the Nordic countries!

mk1esc wrote: »
    how rare is a volvo like that now???? looks like someone made a start to mod it....

I just did a very quick search of Blocket, the Swedish equivalent of donedeal/buyandsell and there are 6 estates currently for sale from about €500 for a renovation project up to about €4500 for a nice one.

Saloons are much more plentiful with about 120 currently for sale from €200 upwards.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

ahal wrote: »
    On anecdotal evidence, Amazon estates would seem to be 1 to every 10 of the saloons sold. In fact I've never even seen an Amazon estate ... but these cars still seem to turn up for banger races in the Nordic countries!

Close enough, 1 in 9 according to Wiki.

Wasn't there an Amazon estate bunt out in Kerry recently, at a shop near Molls Gap iirc.
    By the end of production, 234,209 four-door models, 359,917 two-door models and 73,196 station wagons had been produced, 60% of them for export[3] — for a total of 667,323 vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 keef

rugbyman wrote: »
    Also there is a Wolseley Six, good condition or sorts at first glance, but quite a bit of rot below. he did not have this car running.

Would welcome more details on this one sir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I thought this Opel Kadett was a GTE at first but its a SR. Had only seen Vauxhall Astra and Nova SR's before but this has an original Irish reg.

DSCF0086.jpg

Dunno if you could call these BMW's classics yet

DSCF0082.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There was a Kadett SR in Charleville reg'd VIC330.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

I thought this Opel Kadett was a GTE at first but its a SR. Had only seen Vauxhall Astra and Nova SR's before but this has an original Irish reg.

DSCF0086.jpg

Where is that Kadett SR??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Maybe not old enough to be a classic, but certainly rotten enough

2011_06_18_122318.jpg

2011_06_18_122458.jpg

nice pics,that one was owned by a garda who rathered see it end up like that then sell it to some young lad who would look after it!

nice early spec white too!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

lepoatnam wrote: »
    Where is that Kadett SR??

Its in Longford, sent you a pm saying where. Let us know how you got on if you go to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Pity about the Kadett SR, it looks to be in pretty bad shape.
    The rear wheel seems to be off-centre indicating that the rear axle mounts have rotted and pulled away from the body, a common failing on the Kadett D's.
    The Kadett SR was the only car to have the roof spoiler (GTE's didn't) and were minus the rear under bumper skirt ( Which the GTE's had).
    It would take a brave person to tackle that, but it would be nice to see it restored as it is Irish reg'd.
    I own a Kadett 1.6 SR, with 58k on the clock.
    DSCF0086.jpg
    13052009781.jpg

Advertisement