Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

That Hearse looks very DEAD,:D

Would make a very good Halloween prop the way it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Slidey wrote: »
    Its at the back of a house in Riverstown, Co Sligo.

God knows what it is like underneath but from the top it doesn't look all that bad

Is it a series 1 MK2 Granada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Is it a series 1 MK2 Granada?

Looks like it, indicators, rubbing strip on the bottom of the door and mirror position show that it probably is an early Mk2. I presume the upper chrome strip is off a Mk1 and put on by the coachbuilder. Maybe I'm wrong I don't recall something like that on any Mk2, not even a Ghia.

DarenO wrote: »
    Is that 1216 PI??? I remember that as a minter
    8520IK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Hearse 1 wrote: »
    Looks very frilly around the added sections but could be salvagable.
    I don't know if it would be sold but I can point someone in the right direction if they were interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

its a pre-face lift mk2 granada...savage car and getting rarer by the day....that would make an absolute cool looking pick up, v6 cossie engine in, air suspension, big 18" american rims, cool paint job....mmmmm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tin Lizzy

While were in Riverstown,heres some photos of the ''back yard'' of the Folk park.

CopyofDSCI0062.jpg
    1. Zodiac hearse.

CopyofDSCI0057.jpg
    2. A very bad photo of a Wolseley 16/60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Pictures taken with my phone so far from impressive
    qzn4fk.jpg
    in4xoy.jpg
    14ddgk3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Only a quick photo - I took it while visiting a mates place near Naha, Okinawa. Its a fairly well rotted AE86 :(

67084eeb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

analfabets wrote: »
    Pictures taken with my phone so far from impressive
    qzn4fk.jpg

If this is in Ireland I might be interested. Can you PM the owners details and/or the location. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

out n about today and seen many classics on my travels, mk1 fiesta, 67 vw crew cab bus, vw type 2 camper, r 5turbo, integiralle, ford cargo horse box, merc similar to one in above pic...to name but a few....all on the road between aughrim to wicklow town ;)...no pics :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

IMAG0270.jpg tipp reg ? Beetle, straw men inside , will find another pic

IMAG0161.jpg in Co Down actually, ye may have seen this en route to Kilbroney over the last few years, irt gone now

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg this ones been broken by now , sold for the manual gearbox, my junior in the background

IMAG0427.jpg long ,long story this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

rugbyman wrote: »
    IMAG0270.jpg tipp reg ? Beetle, straw men inside , will find another pic

That's sad, I used to see that car around south Dublin a few years ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

nice spot there Blue150. where did you come across those? any for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I took those photos at a garage near Ballinasloe on the N6 yesterday, the Golf and Minor have been there in plain view for years. I don't know if the place is still open or not.

Friend of mine acquired this rotter of a 2200 as a donor for a car he already has, its in pretty bad shape.:pac:
    August '77 reg, so its one of the last produced and sitting in the dealers quite awhile, unless it was an import then? Wiki tells me the last 2200 came off the production line on 19 March 1977, a LHD export version that was converted to right-hand drive by Tourist Trophy Garage, Farnham.

[URL="javascript:void(0);"]185ac364.jpg?t=1320603119[/URL]

Can anyone shed any light on these stickers.
    [URL="javascript:void(0);"]27a51eb3.jpg?t=1320603165[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Irish Cement still exist: http://www.irishcement.ie
    The Limerick facility in Castlemungret (just off the Dock Road, right next to the South Ring Road south of the tunnel) is massive - you can see it from most of the north side of the city. Their main plant is in Drogheda, and they're part of CRH now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Potted history of Irish Steel Holdings, from here:
    Irish Steel history:

1939: Founded as a private company.
    1946: Went into receivership.
    1947: Company was nationalised and went on to become the prince of Irish heavy industry.
    1980s and 90s: The State was repeatedly forced to bail the company out, pumping over £200 million into the flagging operation.
    1995: The Rainbow Coalition government offloaded Irish Steel to Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal for £1. He promised significant investment and a turnaround in the plant's fortunes. Irish Steel became Irish Ispat but the losses continued.
    June 2001: Mittal shut the plant down, leaving 450 people without jobs and an estimated €30m environmental clean-up bill.
    July 2004: The State failed in a court bid to have the Irish Ispat liquidator meet the clean-up costs, leaving the taxpayer to foot the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

179659.jpg

Is that a black DKW in the background?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

G Luxel wrote: »

I think so too.

4450419723_7abd7b48ef.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thats amazing chaps,
    yes its a Dkw , i think i referred to it at the time " my junior" it was originally orange i think and had been blackified. i bought it in Cornwall.

the amazing thing is that the blue one you showed is registered in Pas de Calais, France. thats where I am this very minute!

regards ,Rugbyman

My Dad worked in Irish Steel for 26 years, back in the 80s when I was a little kid they had a blue car park permit sticker, must show him that one and see can he remember them, he loved working there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

RoverJames wrote: »
    ...he loved working there.

Way off topic but why so, can I ask?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Way off topic but why so, can I ask?

I've often asked him the same as personally I reckon work is an awful ball ache and I don't particularly enjoy it. Different time back then I suppose, Irish Steel though loss making was a huge employer in Cork Harbour for years and years, Dad started working there in the late 60s when he was about 20, he had had a few jobs by then, Irish Steel paid young lads the same money as older folk back then which was apparently not overly common.

He was a trained up as a crane driver and spent most of his 26 years driving various cranes, he worked a couple of years in security there too (back then companies had their own security folk rather than contracting it out) but went back to the crane driving. The pay was very decent, he liked his workmates, back then folk didn't change jobs and as a crane driver his options outside of the building game wouldn't have been great. Although he did get offered a job in Pfizer as an operator but stayed in Irish Steel as at the time the wages were better and he didn't fancy being an operator, he loved the crane driving.

RoverJames wrote: »
    My Dad worked in Irish Steel for 26 years, back in the 80s when I was a little kid they had a blue car park permit sticker, must show him that one and see can he remember them, he loved working there.

Just showed him the sticker there, he said they were the stickers they had before it became "Irish Steel Ltd" and the blue stickers came in. I was telling him that someone posted up a pic of the car, he asked for a look, would you believe he remembers it, and knew the owner who is just shy of 60 year old now, his brother was at Mum and Dad's wedding and they at his. I asked Dad was he sure, oh yes he says "Jim Beale had that, a big stupid yellow fecking thing" :pac:

Oi Dad, that's a Rover, bit of respect please :D

Nice one RoverJames. It's always nice to hear a bit of history on a car like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

G Luxel wrote: »

No its a big arse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Blue850 wrote: »
    I took those photos at a garage near Ballinasloe on the N6 yesterday, the Golf and Minor have been there in plain view for years. I don't know if the place is still open or not.

There's an old guy inside does some work on classics,especially Minors, his son owns and wants to sell the Golf,the fact that its been there awhile might be an indication of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Ok,so I didn't see this in Tramore,but great picture all the same:).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330573&page=135

4585328947_faed6afc55_z.jpg

Advertisement