Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

mb1725 wrote: »
    Volvo ?

I'd have gone Volvo too, but I've never seen round vent controls in a Volvo of that era ...

I suspect something Japanese ... was thinking Bluebird but again the vents are wrong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The crispiest MK1 Fiesta iv ever seen!!:eek::D Everything was rotten!
    IMG_4595.jpg
    It was a 1979 car, but as it doesnt show on Cartell, id guess it was off the road pre 1993. Parking under trees does a car no favours!

Well at least the reg plate is still intact - I may have made up that myself. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

ahal wrote: »
    I'd have gone Volvo too, but I've never seen round vent controls in a Volvo of that era ...

I suspect something Japanese ... was thinking Bluebird but again the vents are wrong :rolleyes:

It's a Volvo alright, more than likely a 244 going by the colour but the 144 had a similar dash with the same vents, well the later 144 had round vents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Well at least the reg plate is still intact - I may have made up that myself. .

It's not far from your house actually. Plates are now on the wall in my shed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

It's a Volvo alright, more than likely a 244 going by the colour but the 144 had a similar dash with the same vents, well the later 144 had round vents anyway.

I'd agree that it's a Volvo.

• Advertisement

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The Triumph lovers may be interested in this link:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=16219

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

you're right, it was a volvo.. now a hedge.

i think it is a 200 series.. quite a few years newer than my 130, and a bit crustier..

it's down in rathgar if anyone wants it...

Found these today, all for sale, if anyone's interested P.M. me for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Is he finally selling those cars? I've driven past that place a lot and the general word locally is that he's a harder not a seller

Found these today, all for sale, if anyone's interested P.M. me for details.
    Theres just something about crispy Rollers, it makes me laugh at the amount of money that was spent on them over their lifetimes and they end up like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Is he finally selling those cars? I've driven past that place a lot and the general word locally is that he's a harder not a seller

Another chap ( ex Huets mech) has a load of them up on Bancroft (Ave?) in Tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think they're the same cars - they belong to John Kenealy? I first saw them in his garden in around 1997.

There used to be a couple of Silver Clouds in Dun Laoghaire in fairly neglected condition, I remember seeing them a few years back. Does anyone remember them or know what became of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Definately a volvo going by the drivers door card and opening mechanism - identical to my 1977 244.
    However its a Volvo 144 with the dash revision from 1973 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

There used to be a couple of Silver Clouds in Dun Laoghaire in fairly neglected condition, I remember seeing them a few years back. Does anyone remember them or know what became of them?

Interesting. I would love to know where, if only just to sneak a peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

renault supervan !!!! :)
    used as a gate for a while ,but flat wheel now ,so the owner parks on the road ????

P5152223.jpg

these few are in tullow ,had one pic up last year ,new lidil store went up beside this place and now handier to look in !!
    cant be many anglia estates about ,or is this an estate ???

P5102217.jpg

and a few trucks that are about ,,is this ex army ?
    P5102219.jpg

P5102220.jpg

P5102218.jpg
    P5102222.jpg
    P5102221.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

'81 (thanks carchaeologist :) ) VW bus

DSCF1455Medium.jpg

no longer abandoned though, I rescued it from certain death. It was in the yard of a waste collector, he had lifted it there with a chain through the sliding windows :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

DSCF1455Medium.jpg

no longer abandoned though, I rescued it from certain death. It was in the yard of a waste collector, he had lifted it there with a chain through the sliding windows :(

Well done!
    Great to see solid-looking original plated (Co. Kildare in this case) vehicles being saved.

Give this man a medal:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 joec26

Yes, and this car must have been imported since 1987 when ZV plates were first made available. Looks quite solid, although there is an ash frame under the everflex (vinyl) roof. Feel around the rear window area. Is it "soft?". To restore a car like this though you will need a garage and some expertise. One tip?! Maybe get itbrunning and run it as a scruffy runner before stripping too much. A common mistake that some novices make is to dismantle too much and then lose heart! Best of luck if you do succeed in buying it. Value? 2-3k or what do people think?

joec26 wrote: »
    Yes, and this car must have been imported since 1987 when ZV plates were first made available.

ZV plates were first made available(in XX1234 format for 30 year and older vintage registrations) in 1992.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

4ae32173.jpg

e8c458ca.jpg

1332de36.jpg

No idea what this is but it caught my eye sitting in the corner of a field south of Perth WA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

no longer abandoned though, I rescued it from certain death.
    I hope you are going to start a log tread of your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

While out for a stroll during some free time from work, I came across an old abandoned house with a few cars in the driveway. Luckily I had my camera with me and went to investigate. Closer inspection revealed more cars and a little snoop around back revealed even more, many gone long past salvation. There was however a lot of windows, screens etc. lying about. I took one pic of a steering wheel and dash from an old Vauxhall of some sort, when I realised the whole car was present, though mostly rotted away. I took the pic of it in its entirety and marked out the steering wheel with a yellow arrow. See if you can see the outline of the car! The whole place was a mess with hundreds of plastic bags filled with old newspapers, including the inside of the house. Like an episode from "Hoarders". Anyway, see what you can identify, apart from the three or four out front!

And some more!

And yet more!

But wait, there's more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well I can recognize a vauxhall viva that's almost rotted away, and a vw derby.
    A couple of cavaliers too.
    Where is the one you have marked in yellow?

• Advertisement

Almost there!

Advertisement