Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finders Keepers really should apply in such cases imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Sleepy wrote: »
    Finders Keepers really should apply in such cases imo.

If you are under 10, sure. For everyone else its Trespass and Theft!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

voz es wrote: »
    That's it and just up the road from it at the abandoned garage, there are quite a few old tractors in long grass. One or two of them very old indeed, international cubs and such.

The tractors belonged to a man who ran that garage next door, he was into vintage machinery, he did not own the garage, but did own the garden with the tractors, he was unwell for a good few years and eventually passed on.

The garage with the cars is rumoured to belong to 'the bank' and the site is worthless really, and is dangerous really with the roof blowing off so near a busy road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

clogher71 wrote: »
    The tractors belonged to a man who ran that garage next door, he was into vintage machinery, he did not own the garage, but did own the garden with the tractors, he was unwell for a good few years and eventually passed on.

The garage with the cars is rumoured to belong to 'the bank' and the site is worthless really, and is dangerous really with the roof blowing off so near a busy road.

Its sad to see a collection go into rust like that, i'm sure he would have hated to see them go that way, poor man i'm sure he had dreams of doing them up before he became unwell. Thanks for the information.

And that roof is dangerous for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

We'll go in and raid the place will we? Sure 'the bank' has other things to be worried about.

There has to be a place where we can get disguises made that look like the O in the boards.ie logo, but then we would be trespassing in the name of boards, which would be a mortal sin altogether. Better head to confession once we're finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭w124man

We'll go in and raid the place will we? Sure 'the bank' has other things to be worried about.

There has to be a place where we can get disguises made that look like the O in the boards.ie logo, but then we would be trespassing in the name of boards, which would be a mortal sin altogether. Better head to confession once we're finished

Disguise yourselves as Denis O'Brien and no one will go near you !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I know it is in reality, I just regard it as more of a moral crime to let things rot when there's no doubt someone who'd be happy to put the time and money into them to make them usable again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I remember some years ago a friend was doing up a dolomite when we spotted a dolly sprint after being pulled out from a ditch to go to scrap,we called in to the owner to ask if he could take some bits and bobs off it and were politely told to fook off that the scrap man was on the way over for it and that's where it ended up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I remember some years ago a friend was doing up a dolomite when we spotted a dolly sprint after being pulled out from a ditch to go to scrap,we called in to the owner to ask if he could take some bits and bobs off it and were politely told to fook off that the scrap man was on the way over for it and that's where it ended up.

Sounds like a charming individual. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Dog in the manger mentality, ' If I can't make anything out of it I'll make damn sure you wont either'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

hi5 wrote: »
    Dog in the manger mentality, ' If I can't make anything out of it I'll make damn sure you wont either'.

Not really, the lads only wanted to 'take a few parts off the car', the owner wanted rid of the whole car. I have an '88 Fiesta in my back garden. Every time I see a particular neighbour, he says 'I must get around to you, still looking for a few bits of that car'
    15 years later his car is still a bag of dirt
    15 years later the tree growing through my garden 'ornament' gets bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

wouldn't really have affected his scrap value to let him take a few trim bits, he was just an auld b0ll0x who didn't want to see any one else get any good of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

Co Mayo , Abandoned garage .....

that old blue mk4 cortina just has to be an ex garda car.

hamburg wrote: »
    that old blue mk4 cortina just has to be an ex garda car.

Mmmm could not be sure and there was a good chance I was in that car when it was running as an everyday car, I don't remember any 'tell tale' signs, but that is 30 years ago!!!, I was defiantly in the silver mk3 in the brambles outside. Were there ever any non Garda blue cortinas? I remember another local blue cortina, but nearly sure it had a beige interior and was not a Garda car, was in it too! When did they retire Garda cars that time? It was not 300000k anyway, they would not have made it to that mileage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

Mmmm could not be sure and there was a good chance I was in that car when it was running as an everyday car, I don't remember any 'tell tale' signs, but that is 30 years ago!!!, I was defiantly in the silver mk3 in the brambles outside. Were there ever any non Garda blue cortinas? I remember another local blue cortina, but nearly sure it had a beige interior and was not a Garda car, was in it too! When did they retire Garda cars that time? It was not 300000k anyway, they would not have made it to that mileage !!
    i don't know if that colour blue was an ordinary ford colour or if that was a colour specifically put on in the factory for a garda contract, they were probably buying hundreds of them at the same time. i know from time spent in the army that the nissan patrol's built in spain came from the factory all sprayed nato green (strangely i remember 2 of them were painted met blue and met red under the green olive drab!) and the later jap built one's were the same, all green. the newer pajero's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Prague, CZ

Škoda 110 R Coupé (early model)

Seems to be complete... in this condition it's worth at least one grand, restored 10 times more.

20150819_133034.jpg

20150819_132231.jpg

voz es wrote: »
    In fairness i didn't really take the picture..... what type car is i that shed?
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/canbrack-kiltimagh-mayo/1068948/

I was near this today, so I decided to track it down, I took a few pics to help you all try and identify what it is.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I'm guessing Peugeot 404

Type 17 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Peugeot 404

Sorry I thought I attached the photos, I don't seem to be able to, I will try again when I am in a 4G area, but no it's not a 404....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

...but no it's not a 404....

Ah, then I'm pretty sure I have it, but I won't reveal the spoiler just yet.

• Advertisement

Pics of car in for sale shed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Morris 1100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

the four cylinder transverse suggestd 1100, but the dashboard is 1000 miles away from that

those auctioneers signs are a clear giveaway to the make of car, but it still evades me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

rugbyman wrote: »
    the four cylinder transverse suggestd 1100, but the dashboard is 1000 miles away from that
    Ya think? It looks like the same dash that was in my old Morris 1100, 1967 vintage. :)

we had a 1300, dont think so, but you may know more

tears ago there was a series on the telly called Rich Man Poor Man and there was a guy called either Falconetti or Falcon Eddy, the name haunts me, itd you, isnt it? poking around old sheds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭w124man

Didn't the very early 1100's have a dash like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The Morris 1100 came with a chrome strip down the centre of the bonnet like in the photos and unlike the Austin version.

My '66 Mk1 had a "strip" speedo like this

1100_08.jpg

And the Mk3 had I think (think) three circular dials in the dash

So I should imagine the car is a Mk2 (67-71) Morris 1100.

Would love to know how long it has sat there. Were there any reg plates around the garage?

just googled it, looks like you win Falcon 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Early Morris 1100. The Austin had the strip speedo.

Advertisement