Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hermy wrote: »
    This is sitting in a yard in Clonmellon.
    Anyone know what it is?

DSC02417_Medium.jpg

The Clonmellon Wolsey is still there 5 years later... It's been there as long as I remember!

Sorry for the crap pic I do suffer the shakes now and again :( I'll try get better ones in future :)
    36149623451_bd000e3d44_k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    We went to the Dromod Railway museum recently, and I was amazed at the diverse amount of old rail and road haulage vehicles there. Its well worth a visit for any diesel heads, or indeed aero heads. Even has a 1 man submarine.....

But anyway, here are three older vehicles, if not exactly abandoned, haven't got much love recently!

V4uIooL.jpg

CoCiaGl.jpg

eRTYoZd.jpg

The golf is for sale, with the proceeds going towards boiler work on a steam train.

I'd say the body is rotten.

The one in the hearse .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,280 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

2 maroon MG's with UK plates & a 300 ZX at the back of MG Business Park (ironically) in Tuam

...... and a rusty old Subaru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few spots while cycling around Crete recently:

2zfZL30h.jpg

LbRNsyah.jpg

aMbBvyJh.jpg

1URwQE8h.jpg

And a NYC taxi spotted in Balheary, Co Dublin.

PJao8Xwh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cannot be many Checker cabs lying around Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Cannot be many Checker cabs lying around Europe!
    There's another one in much better condition at the front of the same house but it's obscured by a wall and I wouldn't be able to take a pic without entering the property. (I suspect the one pictured above, which is visible the side of the house, was canibalised for parts).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Maybe not a classic in most eyes, but a fine car in her day, cream leather interior too. 2003 320d

no visable marks on it so I am not sure why it's in the back field behind a garage here beside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

knackered engine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Aska wrote: »
    Maybe not a classic... not sure why it's in the back field behind a garage here beside me.

320 tax on it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

And a NYC taxi spotted in Balheary, Co Dublin.

PJao8Xwh.jpg

there was some one around swords area years back who used to have a load of different american style cars theyd imported. Remember seeing a NYPD style cop car cruising through swords few times, wonder is it the same guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

gammygils wrote: »
    ...... and a rusty old Subaru

That would have been a very rare car in her day, 1.8 Turbo AWD. Its such a pity it was allowed to rot away like that.

That would have been a very rare car in her day, 1.8 Turbo AWD. Its such a pity it was allowed to rot away like that.

I think I posted the same car in the oldest car thread a few years ago. It was abandoned in a car park. Shame

gammygils wrote: »
    2 maroon MG's with UK plates & a 300 ZX at the back of MG Business Park (ironically) in Tuam

Wonder is the ZX for parts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

A friend sent some pics of this abandoned 'Fr. Dougal' style electric milk float. They must be rare enough, the Premier Daries milk carton says there is only one left and it's in Howth!

37179106266_8d5db41390_b.jpg20160514_121158 - Copy by Testa Calda, on Flickr

36556740613_7d3db50112_b.jpg20160514_121242 by Testa Calda, on Flickr

37179141536_ae3f5c2944_b.jpg20160514_121224 by Testa Calda, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That Telecom Eireann van in the background would make a nice camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That milk float was owned by Sligo Dairies (now Connacht Gold) and operated in Sligo town until the early '80s. I remember it well.

It was replaced iirc by a Hiace pick-up later called a Dyna. The milkman who drove it only retired a couple of years ago when the dairiy closed as part of Connacht Gold rationalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

elperello wrote: »
    That Telecom Eireann van in the background would make a nice camper.

Not many things survive to this day in the old Telecom Eireann livery.

G Luxel wrote: »
    A garden centre in donegal .....

Still there. A sad sight :(
    37259505746_e5d77788af_h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Still there. A sad sight :(

These kinds of "advertising" actually put me off frequenting the businesses in question.
    I know that we're in the minority, as fans of classics, but I'd say that a sizeable minority of the public would have similar feelings about destroying a relatively rare original Irish car by letting it rot like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I agree, it's just like banger racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Reminds me of a Morris Minor Van that was left sitting outside a Pharmacy in Sligo for a long while, was running but in the end it looked like it was going to rust away, with a broken back window too.

They finally did it up and it looks great now, would've been sad to see it rot.

428876.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

red sean wrote: »
    I agree, it's just like banger racing.

dont get me started on that ****e , ive had many's a rant on here about it , boils my blood :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

rizzodun wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Morris Minor Van that was left sitting outside a Pharmacy in Sligo for a long while, was running but in the end it looked like it was going to rust away, with a broken back window too.

They finally did it up and it looks great now, would've been sad to see it rot.

428876.jpg

I'm sorry to say you are wrong, the old one was canablised and put up on donedeal a long or two back. Red rotten so it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

voz es wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say you are wrong, the old one was canablised and put up on donedeal a long or two back. Red rotten so it was.

Ah was it?

Thought it was the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Type 17 wrote: »
    These kinds of "advertising" actually put me off frequenting the businesses in question.
    I know that we're in the minority, as fans of classics, but I'd say that a sizeable minority of the public would have similar feelings about destroying a relatively rare original Irish car by letting it rot like this.

I wouldn't get too sentimental over that model Rolls even when new they were pretty awful, they were too cheap relative to the economy of the time and every Jack the lad with a few quid had one!!

Liosbán Industrial Estate Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alan_Ganley

type85 wrote: »
    Hi Duke O Smiley, Are any of the above available for sale do you know?

I'd love to get the estate....
    Any chance of location or contact info please?
    This is my project ongoing
    24117645748_29e92e7646_c.jpgDSC_0855 by quickrack, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

alan i viewed that mk1 estate, its very bad, sat there around 9-10 yrs, floors, inner wings, bulkhead, front panel, arches, all rotten....i wanted it for the gutter rails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Alan_Ganley

mk1esc wrote: »
    alan i viewed that mk1 estate, its very bad, sat there around 9-10 yrs, floors, inner wings, bulkhead, front panel, arches, all rotten....i wanted it for the gutter rails

I was thinking of making it into a trailer.
    I have an estate roof here in very good condition.

Advertisement