Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Saw this on the irish museum of transport museum site earlier today,its from around 1987...
    tp-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ Does anyone else (like myself) gawk at trucks full of scrapped cars going by? I nearly find them more interesting than if a Ferrari went by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ Does anyone else (like myself) gawk at trucks full of scrapped cars going by? I nearly find them more interesting than if a Ferrari went by me!

Haha i do anyway. Interesting but dangerous when your driving haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

......yeah me too !

I dunno what the fascination with that stuff is, I also love old truck and old factories, abandoned warehouses etc....

Wierd ehh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

are any of those cars for sale?
    the various S Classes and SEC's should be given a new home:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

MercMad wrote: »
    ......yeah me too !

I dunno what the fascination with that stuff is, I also love old truck and old factories, abandoned warehouses etc....

Wierd ehh ?

Very very weird, but, I'm the same.

and add shipwrecks to that list as well.

Yep,given half a chance id climb up into the truck with a socket set!!!:DYou are right about it being more interesting a ferrari!!!

We really are a strange bunch of people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

lol. i saw an old K10 micra crushed to bits on friday on the back of a lorry bound for ringsend. i was laughing at the fact i was a little upset :D

We really are a strange bunch of people! :D
    Not at all,my friends are well used to me now,jumping ditches to look at strange rusty bits of steel,and even photographing them!
    Theres alot worse out there!!:D

• Advertisement

Just came across this while trawling....
    2796375546_c46ddcf5f3.jpg?v=0
    Well battered MK1 cavalier in an english scrappy..
    More pics of the same(mainly trucks and buses)can be found here..
    http://flickr.com/photos/22455491@N02/2639836083

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

This old Merc coupe is lying in the stables of long abandoned Doonass House
    Cloonlara, County Clare. Photo is recent. Unsure of exact model. Original Irish Reg, from what im told.

dh551.jpg

I saw a Carina II (judging by the looks of it, it was heading to the scrapyard) on the back of a truck (which itself was a classic, an '86 Bedford TK) today in Ballyfermot.

No picture unfortunately.

Lauder wrote: »
    Cloonlara, County Clare. Photo is recent. Unsure of exact model. Original Irish Reg, from what im told.

dh551.jpg

......its a W114 Coupe, 250C > 280CE. I only ever saw one in that colour. Any idea of the reg, would it be a XXXX YI by any chance, Dublin. Actually no I think the one I am thinking of is closer to home.

Why is the place abandoned and what is it ?

Lauder wrote: »

dh551.jpg

......its a W114 Coupe, 250C > 280CE. I only ever saw one in that colour. Any idea of the reg, would it be a XXXX YI by any chance, Dublin. Actually no I think the one I am thinking of is closer to home.

Good webiste BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

MercMad wrote: »

Good webiste BTW
    The Merc is on a privately owned estate in Clonlara. I had heard it was there many years ago but had not seen it or known what model it was. The elderly lady who owned the place is still alive and living in a local nursing home. I had heard that several people had tried to buy the car over the years but she was not willing to part with it.

I believe that she bought the car new so I would expect that it is Clare or Limerick registered..

Pagoda113 wrote: »
    The Merc is on a privately owned estate in Clonlara. I had heard it was there many years ago but had not seen it or known what model it was. The elderly lady who owned the place is still alive and living in a local nursing home. I had heard that several people had tried to buy the car over the years but she was not willing to part with it.

I believe that she bought the car new so I would expect that it is Clare or Limerick registered..

.......................good info. Pity to see it deteriorating like the house, along with obvious help from vandals. Surely she would rather it were repaired and used, than left for scrap. then aghain she probably hasn't seen it in years either and doesn't know how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

'The elderly lady who owned the place is still alive and living in a local nursing home. I had heard that several people had tried to buy the car over the years but she was not willing to part with it. '

Sad, old people always cling onto the hope they'll be able to do the things again that they used to do.

On another note - a yard in Pimlico / Coombe has some old Commer trucks lying there, they've escapes being exported to ( africa, asia ?? )

Not really abandoned,its lined up for restoration,but a good photo all the same:)
    Its a buick,ex american embassy car i was told
    Image756.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

a couple of shots of a abandoned (almost classic) van i found recently....
    Think its a bedford? there was another one beside it which was older but didnt get a chance to take a pic..

^ The reg. on it (81-C-472) comes up as a Bedford alright (on Cartell). Not sure of the model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

its a bedford HA van, based on the vauxhall viva , but was produced for a lont longer as a van. that one an ex BT van I think, imported.
    great thread this

Yep,like this when new!!:)
    viva%20van.jpg

Not really abandoned,its lined up for restoration,but a good photo all the same:)
    Its a buick,ex american embassy car i was told
    Image756.jpg

Now long has that Buick been off the road do you know? the reg. doesn't come up on Cartell so I suspect it's been off the road later than 1993.

Since the 70s by the look of it,alot of the registrations of the cars in the museum dont come up either,so id say most of them have been unlicenced since the early 90s at the least.They wouldnt be on the record when the system changed over to computers then.Wonder how many other cars are out there like that....XZX1 where are you!

I think the buick looked something like this when new...Its tagged as a buick century,can anyone shed any light on what it is?
    waynegrantbuick.jpg

It looks like a '55 Buick Century (the Americans are big into their 'model years'), there is probably a 322 cubic inch (5.3L) V8 under the bonnet aswell.

Ah, back in the days when petrol cost 10 cents per gallon! I was born in the wrong era. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

Yeah thats it all right. I think its a 1956 model. the four "ventiports" on the front wing mark it out as being a more upmarket model than the other models which would have had only three. anyone know more about this particular car?? has it got the nailhead engine?? What colour is it supposed to be??

• Advertisement

superboy wrote: »
    Yeah thats it all right. I think its a 1956 model. the four "ventiports" on the front wing mark it out as being a more upmarket model than the other models which would have had only three. anyone know more about this particular car?? has it got the nailhead engine?? What colour is it supposed to be??

I'd say it's a '55, the '56 model had more of a 'pointed' nose on it:

Buick_Century_4-Dorrars_Sedan_1956.jpg

Advertisement