Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

superboy wrote: »
    Yeah thats it all right. I think its a 1956 model. the four "ventiports" on the front wing mark it out as being a more upmarket model than the other models which would have had only three. anyone know more about this particular car?? has it got the nailhead engine?? What colour is it supposed to be??
    Looks like it was white,surface rust everywhere though,reg is late 1957 dublin,why are nailheads so called?

Ah, i see now....
    NailheadTeeFinal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Looks like it was white,surface rust everywhere though,reg is late 1957 dublin,why are nailheads so called?

Must have been imported here in '57 then, as the '57 model looks nothing like that one.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Must have been imported in '57 then, as the '57 model looks nothing like that one.
    Probably,the american embassy had some cool cars in their time!!:)

Indeed they did. Wasn't this Lincoln an embassy car at one stage?:

f_LincolnContm_d240e14.jpg

^ I took that picture at the Moynalty show in 2003.

The only American vehicle that the U.S. embassy have now is a Chevrolet Astro Day Van.

• Advertisement

And the chevrolet biscayne IRL1 was one aswell wasnt it,or was that an english car?

And the chevrolet biscayne IRL1 was one aswell wasnt it,or was that an english car?

That was an English car apparently, the reg. was transferred to here at some point.

f_1957Chevrolm_12ac3cf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

would the number not be 1 RLI in fact?

corktina wrote: »

IRL 1 on Cartell:

Registration IRL1
    Make CHEVROLET
    Model UNKNOWN
    Description Not Available
    Fuel Type PETROL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The only American vehicle that the U.S. embassy have now is a Chevrolet Astro Day Van.

must be the only US embassy with no american cars. Do they still have
    the 89 D cadillac Fleetwood in RHD? I have an old newspaper cutting from
    1960 and in the motors classified section were quite a number of american cars for sale from the Dublin embassy including a belair wagon, a rambler and a willys jeep.

• Advertisement

Nope,definatly IRL1,some jiggery pokery went on in the registration office....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Lincoln WAS a US embassy, Dublin car. friend of mine owned it ( have photo of it in his garage ), now owned by former scrappie,Peter Jenkins.
    US embassy used to advertise cars for sale by tender, Joe Headon (RIP ) in Hill St used to end up with them.
    One I havn't seen in a while was a black 69-71 Ford LTD - ZI reg I think, real Dirty Harry model .
    Nowadays they have the armoured RHD Chevy V8 minibus and an armoured Land Cruiser 100, plus a lot of 'personal' US model cars - they get their petrol tax free here, as do the US Immigration people at the airports. ( Lucky sods )

IRL 1 was issued in the UK to the Irish embassy in London, other embassies got special regs also. USA 1, ZIM 1, etc ( - you might find more info on UK web sites.)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

@carchaeologist, I Think it had to do with the size of the valves. Far as i know they weren't hampered by the use of small valves. all nailheads were quite powerful, though with american capacities they'd want to have been!

@maxdamage, I see what you mean. it is a 55 alright. love Buicks......mmmmmm

Old 71 kerry reg beetle(well,the bonnet door at least:p) spotted on flikr earlier...cant copy and paste it so heres the link...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grogg/40972965/

This thread had gone back three pages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I saw a 79 Merc W123 Coupe in Athleague, Co Roscomon, a 230C carburettor model, white, rough but with Mercedes alloys on it. It was parked beside a petrol station with about 10 Volvos, mostly 740s and a 240 and 340

Early 1978 reg Opel kadett spotted during the week near a job i was at,rusted was too good a word!!:)
    Image792.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This one should have stayed abandoned rather than suffer this humiliation. Taken while stopped at the lights between Glanmire and Riverstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭gipi

Spotted in Drogheda today -almost eluded my camera!

2 hearses on the back, heading for the scrap by the looks of them.

Sorry Carchaeologist, there were no reg plates on either!

gipi wrote: »
    Sorry Carchaeologist, there were no reg plates on either!
    Nooooooo!!!!!!!:D
    Top one is a granada MK2 for sure..not sure about the bottom one??
    64045.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Are they lexus lights? The bottom one looks like it was pimped at some stage, hummm.

• Advertisement

Near to Enfield...

28iq78h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

where abouts ? Might go and have a look......
    Near to Enfield...

28iq78h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

64045.JPG

How ironic that photo is.....

kyote00 wrote: »

pm sent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dlcoyne

howye, i am looking for a car project. I would like to find a jaguar XK120 or XK140 or a replica porsche 356. My plan is to work on a car bringing it back to its former glory.

I was wondering would anyone know where to find one of these car models cheap.

dlcoyne

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dades wrote: »
    A lonely looking pagoda in someone's front garden around the corner from me.
    Doesn't seem to have moved in at least two years...

Pic

I wouldn't mind but the driveway has loads of space, so why park it on the carnivorous grass?

Last time I'll post about this Pagoda!

Not sure if anyone made any enquiries about it - but it's still there and the house is now up for sale. You can see the car in one of the pics on the myhome advert...

For €4m they might throw in the house. :D

Taken last weekend:

IMG_4680_Small.jpg

Have a few more pics if anyone wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GubMan

kyote00 wrote: »

That a cortina? Mightn't be in too bad a shape, looking at the foliage, its not too many years there....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Dades wrote: »
    Last time I'll post about this Pagoda!

Not sure if anyone made any enquiries about it - but it's still there and the house is now up for sale. You can see the car in one of the pics on the myhome advert...

For €4m they might throw in the house. :D

Taken last weekend:

IMG_4680_Small.jpg

Have a few more pics if anyone wants them.

...........God I would so love to rescue that car, but like most folk its not a good time to be spending on a folley !

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

If it's been lying around that long unused the owner might let you take it away if for no other reason than to leave the grounds a bit tidier. Stranger things have happened.

It's my understanding that one of my cars was gifted to a previous owner. (Of course I had to buy it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

This original Irish R5 Turbo is pushed into a gateway on the road between Portlaoise and Portarlington. I wonder if it's a genuine Turbo?

IM000358.jpg

IM000353.jpg

and this Volvo is outside a shed in Stradbally, Co. Laois

IM000361.jpg

Advertisement