Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

A seemingly abandoned MKII in Clontarf, been here untouched about 3 months now.

Image0051.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Lauder wrote: »
    A seemingly abandoned MKII in Clontarf, been here untouched about 3 months now.

Image0051.jpg

not abandoned as far as I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Flat tire - abandoned car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Flat tire - or leaves making it look that way ?
    There was a Mk II rolling shell 'parked' in Sandymount for ages, disappeared now, but the tires never went flat - probably the 60's air in them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Capri wrote: »
    Flat tire - or leaves making it look that way ?
    There was a Mk II rolling shell 'parked' in Sandymount for ages, disappeared now, but the tires never went flat - probably the 60's air in them !!!

That car was also taxed and insured so the corporation could never lift it!
    I'd say his neighbours loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That car was also taxed and insured so the corporation could never lift it!
    I'd say his neighbours loved it!

..............yeah I remember that, I looked at the screen once out of curiosity.

Wasn't there an XJ6 nearby for ages as well ?

The one with the wolfrace alloys around the corner from the Shelbourne House?

The one with the wolfrace alloys around the corner from the Shelbourne House?

..............yeah thats it. I think its gone now !

I always thought it was a groovy looking car!

Its not parked there anymore but I'd be very surprised if it was scrapped.
    I'd imagine the owner has it elsewhere?

I always thought it was a groovy looking car!

Its not parked there anymore but I'd be very surprised if it was scrapped.
    I'd imagine the owner has it elsewhere?

..............it always sat high at the front and I assumed there was no engine in it. Years ago there used to be another XJ6, a newer one, parked near it, I figured the older one was a donor car. I used to pass nearly every day, though parking in the area was not hectic at all back then.

Eventually the second XJ disappeared, possibly replaced by a newer car, and the older one remained. I dont think it was taxed/insured so probably eventually got towed, since spaces are now at a premium in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

saw the bonnet open one day and it had a nissan urvan diesel in it :D

dutchcat wrote: »
    saw the bonnet open one day and it had a nissan urvan diesel in it :D

There were a good few XJ6 diesels around at one stage. A chap that lived nearby me had a series 1 XJ6 with the 2.9 Nissan Patrol engine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I know of a rover P6 with an austin montego diesel in it,its an everyday car.

A 1978 Datsun 120Y a friend bought as a spares car,unusually its an automatic.Was apparently parked up in a leaky shed near the sea when the NCT came in in 2000 hence the rot,it say it was a car that was looked after for most of its life though.
    Image875.jpg
    Image876.jpg
    Image877.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The datsun has a really nice dash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ Is it a Jap import, going by the square plates at the back (and that most JDM cars are autos too)?

Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ Is it a Jap import, going by the square plates at the back (and that most JDM cars are autos too)?
    Interesting you should say that max,it is an original 1978 car. My friends good car has a standard rectangular plate on the back and it doesnt fit,we're told all 120Ys had square plates originally,can anyone confirm this?Im sure iv seen 120Ys with rectangular plates.

I suppose you could say it was a jap import when new in 78...;):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Those 120Y's are my favourite of the old Datsun Family. Any pics around of the car your friend is working on Carchaeologist?

Onkle wrote: »
    Those 120Y's are my favourite of the old Datsun Family. Any pics around of the car your friend is working on Carchaeologist?
    Well,hes not really working on it,its a 50.000 mile all original car,he just picked up the scrap one for parts incase anything was needed in time.
    120Ysaloon.jpg
    He has the coupe too,its an australian import,the dash from the scrap one will be going into this as the sun has cracked the original one
    The 120Y is not the most inspiring drive in the world,and theres much more room in my 100A believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The coupe is cool.............a lovely shade of blue too.

• Advertisement

A 1978 Datsun 120Y a friend bought as a spares car,unusually its an automatic.Was apparently parked up in a leaky shed near the sea when the NCT came in in 2000 hence the rot,it say it was a car that was looked after for most of its life though.
    Image875.jpg
    Image876.jpg
    Image877.jpg

wow - takes me back. My granny had a friend who used to own one of these and she used to bang it off every wall, lamppost or thing everywhere. Every panel was battered. A Terrible driver she was. Still, it never let her down and she used to give it incredible clutch/gearshifting abuse.
    and the Dash is sooo cool in them. Is it me, or is the radio headunit kinda curved too to fit into the curve of the dash??
    Thanks for the memories of my childhood.:)

wow - takes me back. My granny had a friend who used to own one of these and she used to bang it off every wall, lamppost or thing everywhere. Every panel was battered. A Terrible driver she was. Still, it never let her down and she used to give it incredible clutch/gearshifting abuse.
    and the Dash is sooo cool in them. Is it me, or is the radio headunit kinda curved too to fit into the curve of the dash??
    Thanks for the memories of my childhood.:)
    yes,its a little curved alright,the dash is very 1970s!Thanks for the story,kinda sums up 70s jap cars!
    2561714438_299b979506.jpg?v=0
    Datsuns always had cool dashboads.This is the 100A FII
    f768_1.jpg
    And the laurel
    laurelinterior.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it was an import it would be a Nissan/Datsun Sunny 1200, it'd have wing mirrors, different indicator lights, and an "S" on the grill instead of the "D". Here's some pics of a JDM 1400 GL (think it's a 1973 model, not sure):
    http://item.rakuten.co.jp/sepia/10007501/
    http://www.carplay.net/car/0508/car.html

I'm not sure if they were available with either Datsun or Nissan branding in Japan or what - I've seen them called Datsun Sunnys but the only pictures I've seen of Japanese B210s have Nissan badges on them - on the brown one above it only says Datsun (ダットサン) on the top of the chassis plate.

And does anyone know the deal is with the two different types of grilles on 120Ys? I've seen ones with grilles like this, and the ones like what carchaeologist posted with the spaces for fog lamps - where the latter only on later models, or are they different trim levels? On the JDM models they seem to be split between the 1200 and 1400 models, but 140Ys seem very rare or non-existant here. And did 120Ys have any Sunny branding?

Maybe the auto 120Y was originally bought by a disabled driver? This was the case for the only Irish-spec automatic Corolla I've ever seen (had hand throttle control too).

This reminds me, I should create a '60s-'70s version of this...

Well,hes not really working on it,its a 50.000 mile all original car,he just picked up the scrap one for parts incase anything was needed in time.
    120Ysaloon.jpg
    He has the coupe too,its an australian import,the dash from the scrap one will be going into this as the sun has cracked the original one
    The 120Y is not the most inspiring drive in the world,and theres much more room in my 100A believe it or not.

I'm nearly sure I saw that Datsun for sale on Carzone about 9 or so months ago

140Ys seem very rare or non-existant here. And did 120Ys have any Sunny branding?

Maybe the auto 120Y was originally bought by a disabled driver? This was the case for the only Irish-spec automatic Corolla I've ever seen (had hand throttle control too).
    Could have been for a disabled driver,or maybe an older person.
    Iv never seen an irish 140Y.
    The MK1 100A is badged cherry on the glovebox lid,but nowhere else AFAIK.No cherry badging on the FII
    The 120Y is just badged 120Y,not sunny i think,
    Boot panel..
    4591983_1_md.jpg
    And side panel..2561725944_57a27df384.jpg?v=0

Interesting how they were sold as cherrys and sunnys etc,but not badged as such.

I'm nearly sure I saw that Datsun for sale on Carzone about 9 or so months ago
    Ha,you have a good memory,though there isnt many 120Ys for sale anymore!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ha,you have a good memory,though there isnt many 120Ys for sale anymore!:)

It was up for quite a while if i remember right. Was your friend selling then or did he buy it?

Onkle wrote: »
    It was up for quite a while if i remember right. Was your friend selling then or did he buy it?
    He bought it,its as clean a 120Y as you will get,i know theres lads reading this saying im mad for having interest in such a car,but the fact its so clean and has lasted so long beyond its design life makes it unusual.It is as new inside,no marks anywhere. Its not exactly an inspiring car to drive i will say though!

He bought it,its as clean a 120Y as you will get,i know theres lads reading this saying im mad for having interest in such a car,but the fact its so clean and has lasted so long beyond its design life makes it unusual.It is as new inside,no marks anywhere. Its not exactly an inspiring car to drive i will say though!

Agreed. Its quirky and retro cool.
    Also, it would make a great daily runner, classic tax, insurance and reliable as an old wood burning stove!:P

• Advertisement

Also, it would make a great daily runner,

Not in this country. They'd rot out in no time.

Advertisement