Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks like it's had it's day anyway lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Looks like a marina alright,wonder how it ended up beside that building?Looks like an old folks home,maybe one of the residents couldnt bear to be parted with his old car??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hah! it's an old folks home alright! good guess! its been there YEARS, maybe since the place opened 10 years or so ago

How strange!Weird that they would leave a wreck like that near a newish building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

How strange!Weird that they would leave a wreck like that near a newish building.

If one was into symbolism an old car past its useful working life disintegrating outside a nursing home could mean all kinds of things!

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    If one was into symbolism an old car past its useful working life disintegrating outside a nursing home could mean all kinds of things!
    Yes,its somehow apt alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Finally got around to posting pics of this classic (Whats left of it anyway!) Its in galway city and has been there for around 2-3 years. Cartell has it listed as a 1300.

DSC01529 (Small).JPG
    DSC01530 (Small).JPG

Seems to be used to keep the garage secure as the house looks unoccupied. Makes you wonder what could be in the garage????? Wishful thinking I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

maidhc wrote: »

Nice idea, bit demeaning to the residents though ;)

Could be the car of a particularly obstanaite/touched in their old age resident who would tip over the edge if it was removed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kqcregg wrote: »
    Finally got around to posting pics of this classic (Whats left of it anyway!) Its in galway city and has been there for around 2-3 years. Cartell has it listed as a 1300.
    Given it's beyond saving I think it's kinda cool to just have there!

I love the look when they've become a shrubbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

kqcregg wrote: »

Seems to be used to keep the garage secure as the house looks unoccupied.

The poor owner is probably inside after locking himself in the toilet 25 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

Hi folks,

Just in case anyone is interested, I was in Dublin for a few days last week and made some enquiries last week about that 230 SL thats sitting out on the lawn of a house in Blackrock.

There was no one around the house and I asked one of the neighbours and they didn't seem to have any contact details for the people who owned the house so I contacted the auctuioneer who is selling the house and they came back to me after a few days.. It seems the car is not for sale and the owner's are planning to restore it.

Pagoda113 wrote: »
    It seems the car is not for sale and the owner's are planning to restore it.
    Hmm..iv heard that before!:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Hi folks,

Just in case anyone is interested, I was in Dublin for a few days last week and made some enquiries last week about that 230 SL thats sitting out on the lawn of a house in Blackrock.

There was no one around the house and I asked one of the neighbours and they didn't seem to have any contact details for the people who owned the house so I contacted the auctuioneer who is selling the house and they came back to me after a few days.. It seems the car is not for sale and the owner's are planning to restore it.

.........amazing you should post that as I was just thinking of that car again yesterday.

Is a pity since most likely it will be another one lost.

Did you manage to get a decent look at the car ? What shae is it in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....saw silver PZL registered MkII Cortina being trailered out the Dublin road from Oranmore, yesterday, behind a........LR/Landcruiser. By the look of it, it was 'freshly' extracted from some spot where it's lain a long time.

Anyone on here ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

did anyone see the silver golf mk1 just sitting covered in green moss beside a house on the athboy road from navan just before rathmore bog..wonder if its for sale?????????..been there years..shockin waste..must try to get a pic for you lads

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

no idea what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

MercMad wrote: »
    .........amazing you should post that as I was just thinking of that car again yesterday.

Is a pity since most likely it will be another one lost.

Did you manage to get a decent look at the car ? What shae is it in ?

The Car is actually holding up pretty well but it does need a lot of work.. It would really need to have something done over the next few months before its gone too far.. The wheel arches seem ok, the pillars of the hard top are ok too. The two back bumpers are gone off of it and there are signs of rot setting in on the bottom rear panel. The second set of chrome strips along the sides are gone off the car too.

Its definately a good candidate for resotration but knowing the pagoda's, the parts you can see are often the best bits. Its when you start stripping them down that you see the real work and the bills start start to mount up.. Not a cheap car to buy or restore ! !

Its

no idea what it is

Doesn't look abandoned to me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

no idea what it is

It's a kit car, a Beaufort or something (shouldn't really be in the classic car forum, i think it's got modern plates too:rolleyes::))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

aravan wrote: »
    That beetle was given out in a competition by Club Orange years ago.
    If i remember correctly a fellow from Portlaoise won it.

with a mg right beside it...

thats up beside them eletric cowboy garage right ??? up the canal

back lane wheeler dealers...

is the DS still rotting away there ?

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »

thats up beside them eletric cowboy garage right ??? up the canal

back lane wheeler dealers...

is the DS still rotting away there ?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58317661&postcount=936

That's not an MG lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

K-Jet wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

junkyard wrote: »
    It's a kit car, a Beaufort or something (shouldn't really be in the classic car forum, i think it's got modern plates too:rolleyes::))

Ibve seen that.Its based on the chassis used for London Black Cabs.Not a kit car though, professionally built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Redrocket wrote: »
    hah! it's an old folks home alright! good guess! its been there YEARS, maybe since the place opened 10 years or so ago

Is that the home in Mullingar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

S.I.R wrote: »

fail.jpg

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ulick-magee

Apologies to all my last post should have been in the other classic car forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

8~) wrote: »
    Is that the home in Mullingar?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mullingar,+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.838219,74.970703&ie=UTF8&ll=53.515658,-7.372218&spn=0.001273,0.004576&t=h&z=18

yup mullingar alright, you can see the car at the most easterly point of the building, i took the pic from the canal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hope they get a good price for the house - they're gonna need the cash after leaving that car out for so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Max_Damage wrote: »
    fail.jpg

:D:D:D

aopplogize, but the last time i was up their, in the yard the beetle was to the right of the place, with a black mg on one side and slightly newwer red one on the other side... with the red 911 behind it.

though that was about 6 months ago.

appolgize for not reqalising that abondoned rust buckets do get driven :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A few more abandoned motors from today,apologise for the crappy pics..
    Corolla K20 in rotted in spectacular fashion...
    Image916.jpg
    And one to upset the purists..:D
    1988 Carina II
    Image917.jpg

Advertisement