Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ That Carina looks like it's been used for rallying around the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Max_Damage wrote: »
    ^ That Carina looks like it's been used for rallying around the field!
    It actually hasnt,it was driven in there and parked up,it wasnt as knackered as the pic makes it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

It actually hasnt,it was driven in there and parked up,it wasnt as knackered as the pic makes it out to be.

would you not be tempted by it ;):P

1275gt wrote: »
    would you not be tempted by it ;):P
    :DI have enough scrap about the place!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

[QUOTE carchaeologist
    1988 Carina II
    Image917.jpg[/QUOTE]

theirs one excatly like that ,( same colour ) looks in good nick ,sitting in a front garden in a house in carlow town .
    hasent moved in a while .

must take a pic next time im passing !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

manta mad wrote: »

theirs one excatly like that ,( same colour ) looks in good nick ,sitting in a front garden in a house in carlow town .
    hasent moved in a while .

must take a pic next time im passing !

I love the hatch of those, would love to find one actually

K-Jet wrote: »
    They is getting quite scarce these days..that one is 21 years old now.
    BTW Your tag under your name make me cough up my coffee:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

I have just opened this thread for the first time and one thing strikes me on first impressions.. Nearly all the Irish cars I see pictured are rotten with rust.
    My tip for anyone getting into this kind of thing is to have a LOT of money and then some as you embark upon your project and more importantly don't overlook mainland Europe for really good condition classic oldtimers. I live in Luxembourg and have also spent time in Italy and The South Of France and in these places you see Classics that are still rolling and in excellent condition. For example in this thread there are some pictures of Renault 4L's sitting in a farmer's field in Ireland down the country in Ireland ROTTEN.. whereas I have seen them in perfect order in France and Italy - I mean very very clean. The same goes for nearly every make. Ireland is a very damp climate and if you want a good Classic Car look abroad for one. They may be left hand drive but at least your foot won't go through the floor?

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I remember reading about that concrete thing in a book. What a waste of perfectly good cars for so-called 'art' :(

By the way G Luxel, what's with using 'I' instead of '1'?

It's the French! To them this IS art at it's very finest!!!!!!

I have just opened this thread for the first time and one thing strikes me on first impressions.. Nearly all the Irish cars I see pictured are rotten with rust.
    My tip for anyone getting into this kind of thing is to have a LOT of money and then some as you embark upon your project and more importantly don't overlook mainland Europe for really good condition classic oldtimers. I live in Luxembourg and have also spent time in Italy and The South Of France and in these places you see Classics that are still rolling and in excellent condition. For example in this thread there are some pictures of Renault 4L's sitting in a farmer's field in Ireland down the country in Ireland ROTTEN.. whereas I have seen them in perfect order in France and Italy - I mean very very clean. The same goes for nearly every make. Ireland is a very damp climate and if you want a good Classic Car look abroad for one. They may be left hand drive but at least your foot won't go through the floor?
    Er,im sure you have better things to do than come here to annoy us.
    You are being very general with "your rotten with rust" comment.Yes there is rusty cars out there,but saying "Nearly all the Irish cars I see pictured are rotten with rust"is taking it a bit far.
    This is the abandoned classics thead,its a given that pics here would be of rusted cars.There is plenty of good old cars out there,just look at some of the other threads.

• Advertisement

I have restored cars before myself and my father has 30 years experience restoring Classic Cars. Trust me the Irish cars do tend to suffer from more rust than in more mild climates. Yes, just been looking at the other threads. It is a shame that many cars are / were abandoned like that in Ireland and that the owners did not think to throw a cover over them or even Garage them. I see that not all the cars pictured are rusty and sure enough yes they are abandoned. For restoration projects I would say the sounder old bodies lie over here abroad that is all. I see classic BMW's, Renaults and many unusual models over here and they are in perfect running order not even needing full restoration.

Two things,scrappage scheme,and NCT test killed off most of the irish stuff,we are doing our best with whts left!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Trust me the Irish cars do tend to suffer from more rust than in more mild climates
    No one said it was going to be easy!

In Ireland we have real men, not a shower of pussies looking for an easy way out! Anyone can have a classic in a mild climate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i think he's just stating the obvious to us, and the not so obvious to to him, as in it rains here, it rains here A LOT. This is the abondoned classics thread where we takes pictures of abondoned cars, most of which have been left out in the guess what.
    where'd i buy my 2 non-abondoned classics? not Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Two things,scrappage scheme,and NCT test killed off most of the irish stuff,

That and the banning of leaded petrol in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i can see the mans point.a restoration is a restoration if i could get one in a dryer climate i would why make more work for yourself.i know here it is a big thing to restore classics especially irish but where are they"in fields rotting"and why do people not want to sell them,mad totally mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

K-Jet wrote: »

There is a silver 1987 Carina Hatch in Blackrock, off sydney avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Not sure if one would call it as classic but was abandoned for sure, its in Tallagh near Fashion City, I am up and down this road alot and only noticed it today. Traffic was bad and amazing what you see when in the same spot for a while:rolleyes:
    IMG00575.jpg
    IMG00576.jpg
    chow for now

^must have been there for awhile,rare to see those even as scrappers..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭guano_jim

in D4....

• Advertisement

in D4

in D4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Awful waste of the Bmw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

SAD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Camarague wrote: »
    There is a silver 1987 Carina Hatch in Blackrock, off sydney avenue
    I've met the chap who owns that - he runs it because he's never needed to replace it!

There's also a Nissan Bluebird down the road.

both the morris and the beemer are beyond economical repair, IMHO

guano_jim wrote: »
    both the morris and the beemer are beyond economical repair, IMHO
    Everything can be restored by the right guy,this is being restored in england..:eek:
    DSCF3526.jpg

Anyone else getting a pop when they open this thread? Happened me several times now.

Anyone else getting a pop when they open this thread? Happened me several times now.
    Yes,thought it was just my computer,weird...

• Advertisement

I've reported it now, hopefully the thread doen't have to be closed:o

Advertisement