Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Spotted an old Manta and Beetle in a front garden just off Griffith Avenue in Dublin. They've been there a long time but I don't think they're beyond redemption. Didn't have a camera with me to take a pic unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

DSC00214.jpg

I don't know whether this counts as a classic or not, but it sure will be some day. '95 with 92k miles. Interior seems perfect. An awful waste I think. Bags were out.

Where did you come across this merc Limerickman? Would it be available to an interested party? What exact model? ie E220, E320?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's parked in a row of cars up in the old Burlington Factory. I'd say it's there 2 years at least. Lovely car though.

DSC00215.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Spotted this car today, havent a clue what is was? But interior looked to have once been very opulent. Large 4 door saloon. Windows in good condition. Irish reg. Couldnt see much more due to overgrowth. Might take a detailed look during the week!

Image0011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

first guess it's a Ford Zephyr/Zodiac

• Advertisement

It's parked in a row of cars up in the old Burlington Factory. I'd say it's there 2 years at least. Lovely car though.

DSC00215.jpg

Is the Burlington factory that closed down place out passed Corbally and take a right at the filling station? Maybe you don't mean in Limerick at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Lauder wrote: »
    Spotted this car today, havent a clue what is was? But interior looked to have once been very opulent. Large 4 door saloon. Windows in good condition. Irish reg. Couldnt see much more due to overgrowth. Might take a detailed look during the week!

Image0011.jpg

Were bouts is this?

Thanks,
    robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Is the Burlington factory that closed down place out passed Corbally and take a right at the filling station? Maybe you don't mean in Limerick at all?

No, that's the one. Sorry, should of said it was in Limerick. When you go in the gate, just keep going straight, you'll see the lines of cars.

RobbieMc wrote: »
    Were bouts is this?

Thanks,
    robbie

In Killester, Dublin 5.

I will be going up to have a better look tomorrow and see what is salvagable. Will take photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 danielsamson

I saw this Jag this evening but I'm not familiar with them. Does anyone know what model / year it is ?
    Should I take it ?

• Advertisement

I saw this Jag this evening but I'm not familiar with them. Does anyone know what model / year it is ?
    Should I take it ?

Definitely, an Original Irish XJ6 would be well in demand. Looks solid enough too so you could sort yourself out with some Tax free driving. Would be great to see it on the road here and not exported. More original Irish classics the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Nice Dublin reg.

Its a 2.8 manual Series 1 XJ6.
    Lovely car. Havent seen it in years. Like all XJ6s that have sat in the weather for awhile- the headcloth has sagged- the webasto wouldnt help!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That's a Jag XJ Series 1. Dunno exact year, but they stopped making the series 1, with the lower front bumper as above, in '73.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 danielsamson

Thanks for the info folks. I might take it of the guys hands if I can find space for it. Will have to get my father to clear out some of his collection / hoard from the garage.
    Might post pics of them. Everything from Riley RMAs' to a 67 Beetle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cañitas

No, that's the one. Sorry, should of said it was in Limerick. When you go in the gate, just keep going straight, you'll see the lines of cars.

lovely merc...i had a 200T in the same colour and year..... i would look into a diesel as the tax on these things are killers now

look at these babies.. http://www.w124.co.uk/

my favourite colour...if it had the 5 speed auto it would be perfect
    200651.006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Definitely, an Original Irish XJ6 would be well in demand. Looks solid enough too so you could sort yourself out with some Tax free driving. Would be great to see it on the road here and not exported. More original Irish classics the better.
    Yep,take it.Those series 1 XJs are one of the best looking cars ever made IMO.Reg is 1970.A good wash and polish would make a job of that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That Jag just HAS to be saved ASAP !

had a closer look at the Ford this morning.

REG is ZF 4331

Says Customline V8 on dash

Well beyond saving, but engine block looks ok, as does steering wheel and dash, dials etc, some trim ok. Rear bumper solid and could be rechromed, boot ok some minot rust. Rear glass is perfect, drivers window and drivers side passenger window ok, as are quarterlights.

P1040139.jpg
    P1040132.jpg
    P1040137.jpg

Twas Sunday and the gate was closed, did not venture in. May try again at the weekend......

had a closer look at the Ford this morning.

REG is ZF 4331

Says Customline V8 on dash
    P1040139.jpg
    Niice work there lad!!
    customline.jpg
    This is what it might have looked like, in period black and white too!:)It has an old cork city reg.

• Advertisement

Heres another photo of one of these, was not a Zodiac or Zephyr. Its a Ford Customline V8, were popular in US and Oz. 1952-56. Very rare in IRL and UK.

683px-FordMainlineSide.jpg

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_customline.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

ain't they just shown one of these on overhaulin?a 1954.

Wonder was it some sort of diplomatic car in cork or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

They were built and sold here, a back issue of Irish Vintage Scene has another Irish reg one featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

spotted today dragged out of the bushes in someones garden.pretty rotten on uk e plate(aroun 1968)no pic yet.

A true modern classic, seems to be abandoned, (Clontarf) been lying here for over a year, in the meantime someone has nicked the hub caps.

Image0211.jpg

Image014-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nhlrules

macplaxton wrote: »
    No pic, but did see two Renault 4 on the back of a two-platform truck, east of Galway City around Oranmore. On their way to the big scrapyard in the sky?

Cant be a coincidence but I saw 2 light blue R4 cars on the same type of transporter on waterloo road I think on the same day

What caught my attention was not only the fact there was 2 R4s on a transporter but the fact they both had the same reg struck me as odd
    *** NIP if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Blue850 wrote: »
    They were built and sold here, a back issue of Irish Vintage Scene has another Irish reg one featured.

I think the one in IVS was the earlier 49 Fordor. The abandoned one was built in Cork. In fact you will find advertisements for the car in Motoring Life from the mid 50s. Im amazed that this car is still intact, with the flying bird mascot on the bonnet. Shame that no one will restore it or even cut away all the briars.

This car is by no means 'intact'. It would be a very expensive restoration, definitely not for someone worried about making a profit. It would be nice to see a rare Irish built car back on the roads, but unless someone is very very brave, it aint gonna happen.

As a matter of interest, I looked into the history behind these, it appears that several were built for Ford Execs in Cork in 1952, and not many at all were made for the open market (info from a former Ford employee and colleague of my granddads in Fords). Wonder how this one ended up here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cañitas

Used to own a 87 nonturbo sedan.same 2 door but not a hathback.....i see this is the turbo model...could be abandoned due its weak gearbox...famous for going...especially in the turbos...have to take out the engine to get at the gearbox
    A true modern classic, seems to be abandoned, (Clontarf) been lying here for over a year, in the meantime someone has nicked the hub caps.

Image0211.jpg

Image014-1.jpg

Advertisement