Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

VWPowered wrote: »
    so when your carrying a load (whilst poisoning yourself with fumes) others could still see your number plate, clever really :rolleyes:
    Thank you sir.;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Lauder wrote: »
    is this the one? Only Original Irish one I know of!

John012.jpg

VIU 728 is also an FF Interceptor. still knocking around as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

is this the one? Only Original Irish one I know of!

John012.jpg

That is the first Interceptor registered in Ireland, a MK1, given as a present by an Earl to his son in Co Limerick. That car is now restored and resides in Dublin.

FF's had were slightly longer than the interceptor, because of the four wheel drive system, and had two side grilles on each side, it gets hot under there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Justjens wrote: »
    That is the first Interceptor registered in Ireland, a MK1, given as a present by an Earl to his son in Co Limerick. That car is now restored and resides in Dublin.

FF's had were slightly longer than the interceptor, because of the four wheel drive system, and had two side grilles on each side, it gets hot under there!!

...........yeah I recall the double side vents on the FF, so the car above is not 4wd, ist a Mk1 which shares its front nose styling with the FF. The later Interceptors were slightly different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

If you travel the road from Foynes towards Limerick, there's a house on the right with a Jensen and a Scimitar parked up. They're there for the last 2 or 3 years at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

If you travel the road from Foynes towards Limerick, there's a house on the right with a Jensen and a Scimitar parked up. They're there for the last 2 or 3 years at least

been there much longer then that as far I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep,saw em there when i passed on saturday.Pity to see an interceptor wasting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Yep,saw em there when i passed on saturday.Pity to see an interceptor wasting away.

God I had completley forgotton about those cars! They are there a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

subaru 4wd spotted whilst out walking near glengarriff.
    f6c56d22af7b4e6b97ec058a551adb8a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I happened to pass that Mercedes in Sandymount today...

f_Image006m_29d0dbc.jpg

f_Image010m_ffb0acd.jpg

250D SLC

This is now on Rathoath Rd in Cabra, looks like it's going to be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

superboy wrote: »
    Vintage = Prewar (up to mid 40's or thereabouts)
    Classic = Postwar (50's, 60's, 70's, and possibly 80's)
    Thats a simplistic way of looking at it, because there are sub divisions such as Edwardian, Veteran etc. but it makes sense to me. It can be subjective too, as some people I know would kill me for calling an 80's car a classic! But I don't care. :)

The term "classic", when applied to cars would have a very particular connotation, as in "Edwardian", when speaking about furniture, it is used to denote a particular period in time. Having said that, the word "classic" can be used to describe any number of things, like a football match, a night out with the lads, or anything that might have risen to some unforgettable status. I tend to mix and match, as mentioned in a previous post, I regard and describe my 1990 e32 BMW 735i, as a classic, although the purists would of course disagree. But to me, its a classic: A classic driving experience, a classic build quality, a classic bit of understated styling, etc. etc. My grandmother on the other hand, is an antique, no two ways about it!

The French are known for keeping their cars FAR longer than us. When I was over there last March, the amount of Renault 9, 11, 21, 25, aswell as Peugeot 505's and Citroen Visa's was quite unreal! These are cars that have long since vanished from the roads here. I even managed to see two Austin Metro's over there in the space of ten minutes. You'd be lucky to see one per year here!

Fair play to them I say, at least they have their priorities in order and don't feel the need to 'keep up with the Jones'.

While it was a good thing in many respects, the scrappage scheme introduced her back in the year ???? has helped to deprive us of a source of many restoration projects. I remember some of the daft cars that I drove as I came up the years, my first being a Fiat 850, followed by a Vauxhall Viva, progressing onto a Mk 3 Cortina GXL, then a Mk 1 Capri, slight hiccup with a Mazda 323 (the first one) then came a later model 323, there was also a Volvo hatchback, 340? maybe? Didnt pay a lot of attention to it, then came a Granada 2.0L followed by a 2.8L, eventually finishing up with my present BMW 735. How many of those old cars would you see doing the rounds today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Umm that post was 10 months ago!

superboy wrote: »
    Yeah thats it all right. I think its a 1956 model. the four "ventiports" on the front wing mark it out as being a more upmarket model than the other models which would have had only three. anyone know more about this particular car?? has it got the nailhead engine?? What colour is it supposed to be??

Back in the days before penalty points too, when people didnt bother belting the kids in! Actually back in the days before seat belts. (and contraception!)

Umm that post was 10 months ago!

I'm a slow reader and a slower typist................

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I happened to pass that Mercedes in Sandymount today...

f_Image006m_29d0dbc.jpg

f_Image010m_ffb0acd.jpg

250D SLC

I've never heard about a diesel C107. It must be wrong. It's just wrong. :D

(anyone confirm there is such a thing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    I've never heard about a diesel C107. It must be wrong. It's just wrong. :D

(anyone confirm there is such a thing?)

there is no such a thing.

Just pray the engine isn't from a Patrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Spotted this poor girl in Arklow today, Capri, prob early 80's, fairly well gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Just wanted to share some classics I found last weekend.

these two are of a truck cab(ford I think) that I came across. I'm planning a further trip to investigate some more as I have noticed more vehiles in the over growth that I'd like to get more info on

• Advertisement

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Spotted this poor girl in Arklow today, Capri, prob early 80's, fairly well gutted.

Wow, I'd love to recover that shell for a little project my brother is doing. could you pass on details in a PM so I could check it out?

Thanks
    Landy

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

these two are of a truck cab(ford I think) that I came across. I'm planning a further trip to investigate some more as I have noticed more vehiles in the over growth that I'd like to get more info on

that look very much like a ford d series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Wow, I'd love to recover that shell for a little project my brother is doing. could you pass on details in a PM so I could check it out?

Thanks
    Landy

it looks like a fresh shell in fairness

maidhc wrote: »
    it looks like a fresh shell in fairness

Yeah, thats why I'd like to recover it if possible.

As they saying goes....."We can rebuild it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Thanks
    Landy

Done :)

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    79357.jpg
    Ah,seems to be another GT4 Shell,there seems to be a few of these about,i have one and whosbetter also does. Great spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

had a closer look at the Ford this morning.

REG is ZF 4331

Says Customline V8 on dash

Well beyond saving, but engine block looks ok, as does steering wheel and dash, dials etc, some trim ok. Rear bumper solid and could be rechromed, boot ok some minot rust. Rear glass is perfect, drivers window and drivers side passenger window ok, as are quarterlights.

P1040139.jpg
    P1040132.jpg
    P1040137.jpg

Where was this taken? would be interested in the car for parts. any info would be appreciated

Two rotters totally past it..
    Humber sceptre
    Image975.jpg

Image976.jpg

And 123 Merc.
    Image974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Two old Original Irish VW vans rotting away in a garden in Clontarf. Owner of house will not sell or anything.

IMG_0512.jpg

• Advertisement

Two old Original Irish VW vans rotting away in a garden in Clontarf. Owner of house will not sell or anything.

IMG_0512.jpg

Such a shame to see these old VW's rot like this, surely a complaint to the council or something might change the owners mind??

I came across a similiar situation this weekend gone. An old 1965 series 2 Land Rover, just sitting there on a farm yard in Galway. Owner was trying to get rich from it, After a brief look over I found the chassis was rotten, need's a new bulkhead and the engine needs an overhaul.
    I offered him 200.

He said he'll get back to me

Advertisement