Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

A Suzuki SJ 410 I spotted today on a farm we were doing silage on, been there a good few years now, seemingly parked up due the head gasket problems, chassis doesn't seem too bad, body is a bit rotten though.

DSCF1587.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

I've passed this dozens of times but never had the camera handy.

I don't know if it qualifies as a classic in the strictest sense but when was the last time you saw another?

2009-06-24various032Small.jpg

Where did you find that? That's identical to the one I had (9765 AI), even the colour, and I'd love another. Any idea if it's for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

On the road between Athy and Castlecomer you pass through a little village (if you could even call it that: it's a few houses and a shop based around a bad bend in the road) called Crettyard.

As you head from the Athy direction towards Castlecomer, it's in the driveway of one of the houses on the left after the bend. The house looks deserted from the outside, maybe enquiring from the neighbours might give you a lead? The car is in plain sight, I took the photo from the other side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

A Suzuki SJ 410 I spotted today on a farm we were doing silage on, been there a good few years now, seemingly parked up due the head gasket problems, chassis doesn't seem too bad, body is a bit rotten though.

DSCF1587.jpg
    Any chance of pm me the location please?

thanks
    Landy

These make great little off roaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Any chance of pm me the location please?

thanks
    Landy

These make great little off roaders.
    Lol..you do live up to your username dont you!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eoin4789

dsc01476resized.jpg
    dsc01477resized.jpg
    dsc01478resized.jpg
    dsc01479resized.jpg
    dsc01480resized.jpg[/quote]

This is in milltown in galway parked for the last 12 years, five years ago i was starting my leaving and it was fine, five years before in first year it was mint.

Pity, the man then went to the sierra and parked it too.
    Tried to buy the capri three years ago but no stir whatsoever.

On the road between Athy and Castlecomer you pass through a little village (if you could even call it that: it's a few houses and a shop based around a bad bend in the road) called Crettyard.

As you head from the Athy direction towards Castlecomer, it's in the driveway of one of the houses on the left after the bend. The house looks deserted from the outside, maybe enquiring from the neighbours might give you a lead? The car is in plain sight, I took the photo from the other side of the road.

Cheers Trevor. Hmm, I'm off on Monday......ROADTRIP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Lol..you do live up to your username dont you!!!:)

What can I say, I went on hoildays last week to Wexford, spent the time driving around looking for 4x4 and classics

Peugeot something-or-other station wagon spotted today:

Image054.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭briana7214

Image054.jpg

where did you spot the pug???? pm me the details please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Looks like a 404

Also that white Mercedes W123 estate in Toomevara (on the N7) was gone when I passed the place on Friday. There was a mossy W124 saloon there instead though :)

briana7214 wrote: »
    where did you spot the pug???? pm me the details please?

it's no secret;) it's in Vicarstown, Co. Laois. Tiny village, the car is in the carpark of one of the pubs...

Looks like a 404

looks like you're right ;)

540570595_a91aa9930d_b.jpg
    Image054.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Image054.jpg

Is the spitting image of a Rhd 404 Familiale that I found in Holland a few years ago and sold to someone in Kildare I think...

Was in a slightly better condition than this one though :D:D

Peugeot 404 Familiale on www.classiccarsireland.eu
    peugeot404FamilialeRHD.jpg

That 404 is quite a rarity,irish and all,pity its outside rotting.
    IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

My Dad had one of those 404s back in the late seventies. What a tank of a car. 3 rows of seats in it, we once had 11 people in it while on hols in Kerry. Fantastic thing it was. That one doesn't look beyond saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

:eek:

That really is quite a spotting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭tc20

Also that white Mercedes W123 estate in Toomevara (on the N7) was gone when I passed the place on Friday.

jeez, that car had been there for years, wonder where its finally gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 happyguy

ahh to have the time and know how to restore cars like that...would love to be able to do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Whatcar

Did you know they (Gowans) use to assemble the Peugeot 404's in Sallynoggin in Dun Laoire in the 70's. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

That 404 doesnt look too bad, compared to other cars found around the country which are usually just a pile of bits....... It looks too good to scrap and 404's are getting rare, even in France. There are zillions of them in Africa, it was known as the Queen of the African Bush.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Even in Africa they are very rare. 504's are rare too and the last of the 505's are being trashed there as well. They were pur workhorses there, used as bush taxis and have had numerous accidents, big and small. prices for good 404 504's have gone up a lot on the continent recently.

Had a 1989 505 estate myself, seriously regretted ever selling it. Only had merc W123 estates and W115 saloons up to then and the 505 was better in probably every way.

Ahhhhh!! the 504 now there was a great car :D again I use to work for Gowans and sold them new. The diesels were very popular and were good for 40-50mpg. The 504 estate was a huge hit (even though expensive) it was huge inside with 3 rows of seats. The petrol 1.9 Ti was a great engine and man they could shift. The car was like a tank and could go anywhere and was a regular in long distance tough rallys like London -
    Sydney and Dakar. I always said if I was going to take a car round the world the 504 would have been top of my list. In saying all that the 404
    was as robust and also compeated well in simular events.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

did u work on the assembly in sallynoggin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Not sure if it's a classic but it's certainly abandoned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

sogood wrote: »

defo a classic!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

sogood wrote: »
    2cv wrote: »
    defo a classic!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

ya lol certainly is!

dutchcat wrote: »
    did u work on the assembly in sallynoggin?

No ! but I was selling Renaults and Peugeots in the area,
    Gowans (Sallynoggin) and Smiths (Rochestown Ave):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Hi lads,
    Looking for info on a land rover. The Reg is 939 LZB.
    Am I right in thinking Cork 1982'ish.
    Any more info would be great.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,
    Looking for info on a land rover. The Reg is 939 LZB.
    Am I right in thinking Cork 1982'ish.
    Any more info would be great.
    Thats a September 1981 cork county reg.Its listed on cartell,so its been taxed since 1993.

Advertisement