Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Hermy wrote: »
    That's a real shame.:(
    +1 Maybe someone got some parts off it? It looks pretty solid in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Spotted these on the outskirts of Navan town today.

DSC00680.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00686.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's quite a collection - well spotted!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I Was VB wrote: »

DSC00687.jpg
    [/IMG]

Opel Rekord C, LHD and original irish regd?...hardly any of those around, unless they are converted into hearses with large bubble-shaped screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

G Luxel wrote: »
    Opel Rekord C, LHD and original irish regd?...hardly any of those around, unless they are converted into hearses with large bubble-shaped screen.

I used to like Rovers but then i found OPEL
    Never looked back see how long all mine lasted :D

• Advertisement

G Luxel wrote: »
    Tis a 1971 Dublin City reg,and Rekord Cs were produced from 1967 to 1971,so it could have been imported when nearly new?
    It doesnt show on cartell so its not been taxed for nearly 20 years.

Speaking of abandoned Rekords my granaunt had one of these Opel Olympia Caravans (P1 Rekord) in her back garden for years,twas used as a chicken coop. I remember spending ages trying to get the huge Olympia badge intact off its front wing,still have it!
    220px-Opel_Olympia_Caravan.jpg
    Is there any of these in the country!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Tis a 1971 Dublin City reg,and Rekord Cs were produced from 1967 to 1971,so it could have been imported when nearly new?

Speaking of abandoned Rekords my granaunt had one of these Opel Olympia Caravans (P1 Rekord) in her back garden for years,twas used as a chicken coop. I remember spending ages trying to get the huge Olympia badge intact off its front wing,still have it!

nearest I've seen
    OPELREKORD1961.jpg

Great stuff Ger,you always pull one out of the hat!! Its irish too,late 1961 Cork county. And that pic was taken in Killarney too it looks like? When did you take that? I cant remember ever seeing it there.

Killarney on Easter Sunday alright,last show in Killarney was 2008 so I'd hazard a guess at 2005 or 2006, I should have the original photo uploaded from the camera on another PC so I'll try and find out the date for definite, I've never seen it at any other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

I saw a black one at a show in Enniscorthy in about 1990. Will check if I have a photo

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote: »
    I've never seen it at any other shows.
    Neither have i,and its a car you would remember too being so unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I cant seem to find a photo of it but YZC801 is a customised Opel Olympia.
    Lovely two door estate.
    It was customised by a poster on here, he might come forward with a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

DSC00685.jpg
    I'd say the Opel was an embassy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There was one for sale about 10 years ago or more outside Durrow. It was exactly the same as the estate you have pictured above. A cork dealer once had a red convertible Olympian in his garage showroom next to brand new Vectra's but it was the earlier model. I remembered a wagon version of the same convertible model, had to go through the nettles to figure out the name Olympian on rows and rows of chrome grille, alas it has now disappeared into a skip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Wow that Opel brings me back! My Dad had a navy blue Rekord JIO 648. He bought it in '68 or '69. I remember running outside to see it the night he arrived home. It looked the coolest thing on four wheels! I'd love to know what became of it. He always bought Opels from then on.. TIO 816, CZW 77, GZW 370. My brother had an Ascona FZW 216, a Manta RZW 619 and another Ascona Hatchback 1167 ZW. Just thought I'd share some nostalgia!

Heres a Rekord in better nick, from the Charleville show in 2007
    OpelRekordEstateCharleville2007.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

I dont think one could call them abandoned as they are in parked in a driveway of someones home.
    I was out with a friend driving in Naas area and came across these and took a few snap shoots on my phone.
    A very rare Triumph as well !! and when last did you see a 404 pickup !!
    29042010005.jpg
    29042010007.jpg
    29042010008.jpg
    29042010009.jpg
    29042010010.jpg
    29042010011.jpg
    29042010012.jpg
    29042010013.jpg
    29042010015.jpg
    29042010016.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ OCD at it's finest! :D

I cant seem to find a photo of it but YZC801 is a customised Opel Olympia.
    Lovely two door estate.
    It was customised by a poster on here, he might come forward with a pic?

I found my photo of the one from Enniscorthy, will scan it and post it tomorrow. It is YZC801 in unmodified form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Miscreant

okistag wrote: »
    I dont think one could call them abandoned as they are in parked in a driveway of someones home.
    I was out with a friend driving in Naas area and came across these and took a few snap shoots on my phone.
    29042010016.jpg

I wonder if any are for sale. I have always loved the Hillman Imp and if I am not mistaken there is a dark blue one there beside a red and white mini.

• Advertisement

YZC 801 Opel Olympia photographed at a show in Enniscorthy in 1990. I scanned a few more photos from that show while I was at it, but will post them up separately

scan0005-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

okistag wrote: »

This place is in Kilteel, Co. Dublin... Not Naas
    He's been restoring,repairing classic for years, he has two properties, the one next door also has some great cars in the driveway,but has a bigger wall around it.
    I called in once about a Land Rover he had in for restoration, nice guy and loves to talk "classic's"

Landy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

This place is in Kilteel, Co. Dublin... Not Naas
    He's been restoring,repairing classic for years, he has two properties, the one next door also has some great cars in the driveway,but has a bigger wall around it.
    I called in once about a Land Rover he had in for restoration, nice guy and loves to talk "classic's"

Landy

OOps sorry Landy, I was all over the area Kildare / Naas and took the scenic root back, so wasnt exactly sure when i got back where he was. I must take a trip back over to him and have a chat, sounds as if he could interesting fellow to meet and maybe he could help me out with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Sorry I've no pic but there's an English registered Toyota MR2 Mk1 that has been sitting outside a B&B on the Coolgreaney Rd in Arklow for about the last 9 months. The paint is faded and all the tyres are now flat but other than that it looks in really good condition...shame to see it wasting away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Didn't have camera with me at the time but stumbled upon a Light blue Citroen CX in the driveway of a seemingly abandoned house in the estate across from the Hyundai Garage on Kill Ave, Dun Laoghaire.

Looks like it was parked up in 1985 and forgotten about. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

It's not a cx ,it's a GSA;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

DSC00680.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00686.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg

Wilkinstown
    Often go for a little drive up there( only a few miles from my house)
    He has only started collecting those corsas in the last year or so kinda takes the coolness of the garage away for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

deckie27 wrote: »
    He has only started collecting those corsas in the last year or so kinda takes the coolness of the garage away for me :(

I'd argue that Mark 1 Corsas are now rare enough to be interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Christ He still has that Nova

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'd argue that Mark 1 Corsas are now rare enough to be interesting...

Especially the 2 and 4 door versions. Very rare.

Advertisement